Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 01-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Just bought a Gamecube...

...for $50 brand new on Amazon.com.

Why a gamecube?

Because you can literally play just about every Zelda series game ever made on it. I bought Windwaker on preorder when it first came out just so I could get the special disc with Ocarina of Time on it. Now they have a limited edition disc with the original Zelda, Zelda II, Ocarina of Time, AND Majora's Mask on it. Twilight Princess which came out last year, was also released on Gamecube and you don't have to use a stupid Wii controller. They also had something called "Four Swords" that I want to check out.

So the question is... was there any other games for Gamecube that were worth playing?

I am going to look into that Metroid Prime game. I can rent it at Drug Mart for $2.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Just bought a Gamecube...

I just got a Wii from Christmas and I borrowed Wind Waker and Metroid 1...Both are really good games from the ver little I have played. But my question is why not go the extra mile and get the Wii??
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

The disc that has the original Zelda and Adventure of Link can be a bit pricey as it is slightly rare and in demand.

Four Swords is best with 4 players AND each player needs a Game Boy Advanced (SP) with the link cable for each GBA. It is a fun game but alot of hassle to actually get people together and play.

Other good games:

If you like Zelda, check out Tales of Symphonia. Its an JRPG with real time battles -- a staple in every Tales game. There is also Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, it is a decent single player adventure but also has 4 player mode like Four Swords where everyone will need a GBA.

Also good:

Super Smash Bros Melee
Mario Kart Double Dash
Ikaruga
Chaos Field
Alien Hominid
Battalion Wars
Cubivore
Billy Hatcher
Super Mario Strikers
Resident Evil 4
Viewtiful Joe
Killer 7
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
I just got a Wii from Christmas and I borrowed Wind Waker and Metroid 1...Both are really good games from the ver little I have played. But my question is why not go the extra mile and get the Wii??

1. It's $200 more than the gamecube.

2. I have no desire to wave my hands around to play a video game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
The disc that has the original Zelda and Adventure of Link can be a bit pricey as it is slightly rare and in demand.

Yeah, it seems to go for about $50 used on Ebay. Glad to see I'm not the only one on such a tight budget that $50 seems like a lot to spend on a game.

Quote:

Four Swords is best with 4 players AND each player needs a Game Boy Advanced (SP) with the link cable for each GBA. It is a fun game but alot of hassle to actually get people together and play.

Other good games:

If you like Zelda, check out Tales of Symphonia. Its an JRPG with real time battles -- a staple in every Tales game. There is also Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, it is a decent single player adventure but also has 4 player mode like Four Swords where everyone will need a GBA.

Also good:

Super Smash Bros Melee
Mario Kart Double Dash
Ikaruga
Chaos Field
Alien Hominid
Battalion Wars
Cubivore
Billy Hatcher
Super Mario Strikers
Resident Evil 4
Viewtiful Joe
Killer 7

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have Resident Evil 4 for PS2, but haven't played it yet.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 01-10-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

having to wave your hands around to play the wii is a misconception driven by the marketing, but that's besides the point...

gamecube games to check out:

mario kart double dash
metroid prime 1 and 2 (2 has multiplayer)
eternal darkness sanity's requiem
pikmin 1 or 2
mario party 6
donkey konga (fun bongo drum game)
mario golf
killer 7
medal of honor
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Make sure you get Metroid (the first one on the GameCube). To me, just as good as Wind Waker.

Get Luigi's Mansion as well (sleeper).

Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Metroid Prime is definately worth it.

If you are into RPGs Skies of Arcadia is simply one of the best ever made. Baten Kaitos is another great one, one of the most gorgeous games I've played and it has a great plot-twist ridden story as well.

Super Mario Sunshine is not the greatest Mario, but still beter than any other platformer out there.

If you want to play some multiplayer Smash Brothers and Soul Calibur II are good fighters, Timesplitters 2 is handsdown the best shooter and Mario Kart and F-Zero are the best racegames.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

wTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat cool

super smash bros
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey
super smash bros
yes, this is the best game on gcn easily...i still play it...

i'm glad i have a wii though, the new one is just a month away now, and that game will be epically amazing.

some other games i enjoyed:

luigi's mansion-seems kinda dumb, but it was quite entertaining
mario party-i still wanna get the new one for wii, but this series is enteratining
sonic adventure 2 battle-remake off dreamcast, very good
mario tennis-another mario game, always fun
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey
super smash bros

Melee is one of the greatest games ever.

Actually, my friend was wondering today how much a Gamecube is worth. I guess it's around $100 then.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
i cant dunk
Kids at the park dunk on me

i cant dunk has an OK reputation so far

super smash bros melee is the funnest when you play multilayer with 4 friends. If they had online for it it would be the best game ever.
i cant dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #12
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

J_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected poster

Just some games that haven't been mentioned...

Paper Mario 2 - Trust me, you'll be hooked!
Soul Calibur 2
Sonic Mega Collection - Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Spinball, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, and Sonic 3-D Blast all on one CD :) :) :)
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #13
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by i cant dunk
super smash bros melee is the funnest when you play multilayer with 4 friends. If they had online for it it would be the best game ever.
the new one for wii coming out next month will have online multiplayer capabilities. i can't wait!!!
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #14
miller-time

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

get resident evil 4. i got a gamecube cheap about a year ago. and that game is the only reason i don't regret buying it.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #15
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R

I rented this one, and Metroid Prime like I said I would.

I actually didn't care for Metroid Prime much. The game has potential, but... it's like it's before its own time, or else the software guys just didn't put in enough effort. The controls are crude and clunky, and even the game itself moves way too slow.

For example, instead of holding the R button and having to move the controller around to move the camera, why didn't they just let you use the little yellow camera, so you can move and pan at the same time like the old N64 Turok games?

Also, in the first mission, when you have to go out the escape hatch, there's a series of round tunnels, where you're clearly supposed to roll down in the ball form, but it's just... slow... and even the transition from ball to combat mode is a slow animation.

4 Swords on the other hand, was great. I was disappointed when you said you really needed 4 players and GBA's to play, but I played it just fine as a single player, and had a lot of fun trying to figure out the puzzles and how to properly move the other 3 guys around to complete puzzles. I think it would be faster with 4 guys, but it would also be frustrating, trying to anticipate what the other guys are going to do.

I haven't tried my Windwalker or Ocarina of Time/Master Sword.

One thing I didn't have the foresight to do is to buy a memory card.

Mathius
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: