Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
ThyGreatOne
Decent playground baller

ThyGreatOne has decent reputation
Default [ Kobe Bryant ]

looking back, how happy are ya'll that the Lakers didnt trade Kobe Bryant?
ThyGreatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: [ Kobe Bryant ]

I would have made Kobe sit out or let him walk at the end of his contract rather than trade him. Some may think that is crazy thinking, but if you look at the Shaq trade, it kept them in cap hell for 3 years with no flexibility in sight.

The better move would have been to force Shaq to play out his last year and let him walk. That would have opened up 25+ mil of cap space to go after free agents instead of trading for an overpriced Odom(12 mil at the time I believe), Grants Horrible contract (19 mil per) and Butler. Just this year Grants 19 mil fell off the books! Of course hind sight is always 20/20 lol.

The salary cap complicates everything. The only way they could have traded Kobe to the Bulls would be to take Wallace albatrose of a contract back along with whatever other players make a deal work. There are not many teams if any who could put together an acceptable collection of contracts, players, and draft picks to make a sensible deal. If teams are over the cap, the salaries have to match within 25% (which used to be 15% when they made the Shaq trade).

Just think if LeBron James, Yao Ming, Dwight Howard knew the Lakers were going to have cap space do you think they would have re-signed so quickly? Maybe not. Seeing as most teams were capped out when they were due for free agency it made sense for those guys to resign with their own teams quickly. I would have rather taken my chances clearing cap room and taking a shot at guys like James/Ming/Howard, rather than getting the deal they got.

Add to all this that Kobe can veto any deal, and well you have a near impossible trade situation.

In the end the Shaq deal blew up in Miami's face and is a major reason why the Heat are in so much trouble this season. They are capped out and are stuck with Shaqs 20 mil per for the 3 years (including this year). So D-Wade and Shaq account for almost half of the teams $53 mil cap. You can't move that contract either, what team is going to want to absorb $20 cap hit for a broken down Shaq??? Oh wait, I Think Isaiah in NY would make a deal! True they were a force for two seasons and won a championship, but now rebuilding this team is going to be impossible until Shaq's contract expires.

I Expect something to happen with the collective bargining agreement in the next 2-3 season. Just about every team is over the cap and there are so many bad contracts teams cant get out of. I expect to see a change with the guaranteed contracts or a change in how they affect the cap.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
driecken
I airball my layups

driecken has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyGreatOne
looking back, how happy are ya'll that the Lakers didnt trade Kobe Bryant?
Just look at tonights game, he is ill and hes putting up 7+ assists, 30 + points and reminding me of a "flue" game played by the legend Michael Jordan.
Of course this is no playoff game, but he is putting all of is effort on the court getting teammates shots and putting points on the boards.

KB 24 has put the trade talks to rest for now, and come back into the team and brought people together,
he is the glue that holds the up and coming young lakers team together.

He brings the energy to the team that they need for confidence, and trust...which in time will lead to a good group of players with talent, and the trust it takes to rely on eachother and move through the season with more wins then the last.

Hope KB 24 Stays Laker for life.

Last edited by driecken : 01-12-2008 at 01:01 AM.
driecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
Lakers13
Reload Time

Lakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation here

Ill take the no brainer on this and say very HAPPY.
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:42 AM   #5
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

apeman222 has an OK reputation so far

im the first one to admit i was wrong for wanting to trade kobe....the bulls suck....and we're looking VERY good so far this year....

so to answer, very happy we didnt trade him...

another question is, how happy is kobe that we didnt trade bynum?....kidd's great, but you wont find too many centers like bynum...
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:47 AM   #6
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

netdoc has an OK reputation so far

I believe there are a lot of people eating crow now. Bryant for saying and demanding what he did - although my belief it is what made Farmar and Bynum work on their games so much. The fans who wanted Bryant gone (guilty). Fans who wanted Bynum traded for any Tom, Dick or Harry that came around (see O'Neal and Kidd).

Granted, the F.O. hasn't been that warm and fuzzy Cosby like family, but everyone has to admit that they did well in assembling this team. Kudos to Kupchak for standing his ground and drafting the way he did and trading for Ariza.
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
lakers_fan4life
Serious playground baller

lakers_fan4life has decent reputation

ok i aint gonna lie i was scared as hell back in august when i heard all the rumours about the whole kobe trading thing but deep down inside i knew he wasnt gonna get traded he loves LA and we love him so ima sit here and say i was always happy to be honest because i knew he wasnt goin anywhere and from the looks of it he wont be for a very long time ( i hope kobe reitres as a laker)
lakers_fan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #8
driecken
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by driecken
Just look at tonights game, he is ill and hes putting up 7+ assists, 30 + points and reminding me of a "flue" game played by the legend Michael Jordan.
Of course this is no playoff game, but he is putting all of is effort on the court getting teammates shots and putting points on the boards.

KB 24 has put the trade talks to rest for now, and come back into the team and brought people together,
he is the glue that holds the up and coming young lakers team together.

He brings the energy to the team that they need for confidence, and trust...which in time will lead to a good group of players with talent, and the trust it takes to rely on eachother and move through the season with more wins then the last.

Hope KB 24 Stays Laker for life.

&Single handedly wins the Lakers 7th straight? with the hot hand at the end of 4th and OT,

48 Points
Go Lakers
Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 AM   #9
mongePR(kb24)
kb24 to boston

mongePR(kb24) has an OK reputation so far

2morow he will be #1 @ the mvp rankings.
mongePR(kb24) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #10
BTrujillo
& got a triple-double

BTrujillo has decent reputationBTrujillo has decent reputation

Just stated this in another thread but its relevant to this one...trying to find a link for it...but after the game Kobe was interviewed by John Ireland of KCAL 9...when asked about not having Bynum in the lineup...Kobe said he wished Bynum the best and stressed the importance of him taking his time to come back full strength...here was the best part as it was the 1st time I have heard Kobe say it...Kobe said that with Bynum the Lakers are a "championship caliber team" and thus why its important he comes back healthy...I think its safe to say he is not going anywhere
BTrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #11
ThyGreatOne
Decent playground baller

ThyGreatOne has decent reputation

yea i think the Lakers did a real good job sticking to their guns and keeping Kobe. i think they might have 'entertained' offers to pacify Bryant but they never had any intentions in trading him. i think they might had seen something nobody did, this team could work and be effictive and be productive in a way that makes them a contender. very good job to the Lakers brass.
ThyGreatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
driecken
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongePR(kb24)
2morow he will be #1 @ the mvp rankings.

You got that right friend!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
Kobe Bryant 81
Banned

Kobe Bryant 81 has an OK reputation so far

Kobe Bryant 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #14
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

ok, let me chime in here...

firstly, i am a Laker fan first, over any single player. so, when all the turmoil was going on over the summer, etc., i think there was a segment of us that just wanted the drama to end and wanted the situation to end itself one way or another so that the Lakers could start focusing on their season.

i would say that i did argee with kobe at the beginning, when he complained, but ultimately, i ended up siding with Laker management with the exception of Dr. Buss's comments in Hawaii which were completely uncalled for. i changed my initial thoughts based on what i read here as well as what i read in the paper, news, on tv, etc.

anyway, yeah, i like having kobe as a Laker, but if he were not a Laker, i would still be rooting for my team.

i think the most important element is whether or not kobe is happy he was not traded. and we will likely never know since he has yet to back off his original request.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Im happy we have him still because we have an enormous amount of talent on this team.

If he left I would have been a little upset that it ended that way but would have gotten over it and rooted for Bynum to carry us. We wouldn't be a championship team but I still think we would be something around 45 wins.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: