Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation
Default How do you turn this team around?

What, in your opinion, would turn the Timberwolves around? Is there a specific player that will be available via free agency or trade that you think they should go after? Are there any players on the current roster that you think need to be traded? Or do you think they will make some steady improvements once Foye gets back?

I would go with the latter. I think that once they bring back Foye, the team will start to mesh, and they can start sorting out who can stay and who should go. Thoughts? (This is where you can get the opportunity to rant, disgruntled Minny fans!)
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
twolvesfan
Banned

twolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputation
Default Re: How do you turn this team around?

we NEED a true center. whether its through the draft, a trade, or free agency we just need someone respectable playing the position
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

hutcht02 has an OK reputation so far

Draft well in 2008 and after that work hard to keep the team together. If you can do that, they're a young team. There's nothing wrong with them other than that they're inexperienced and need a chance to gel together. Keep them together, add another superstar via draft, and watch the chemical reaction lead to wins.
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutcht02
Draft well in 2008 and after that work hard to keep the team together. If you can do that, they're a young team. There's nothing wrong with them other than that they're inexperienced and need a chance to gel together. Keep them together, add another superstar via draft, and watch the chemical reaction lead to wins.

Who do you all think they should draft? They'll likely have a top ten pick, and probably even top five, so who should they go after? My list of possible candidates:
  • DeAndre Jordan, C, Texas A&M
  • Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis
  • Nicolas Batum, SG/SF, France
  • Michael Beasley, SF/PF, Kansas State
  • O.J. Mayo, PG/SG, USC
  • Roy Hibbert, C, Georgetown
  • Brook Lopez, PF/C, Stanford
Of those prospects, I think Jordan would benefit them the most. He would offer another low-post threat, but he would also take a while to develop. Rose wouldn't be a bad PG for the offense, but Foye's the future starter there, so he might be out of the question. Mayo's there just because he can take control of the offense and create shots for himself. Hibbert has a soft touch on his shot, and can play a bit of defense. Minnesota would only take him if they traded down or had a pick lower than 7-8. Batum's a potential pick, Beasley is talented but doesn't work hard, and Lopez won't be drafted in the top 7-8 either.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
Who do you all think they should draft? They'll likely have a top ten pick, and probably even top five, so who should they go after? My list of possible candidates:
  • DeAndre Jordan, C, Texas A&M
  • Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis
  • Nicolas Batum, SG/SF, France
  • Michael Beasley, SF/PF, Kansas State
  • O.J. Mayo, PG/SG, USC
  • Roy Hibbert, C, Georgetown
  • Brook Lopez, PF/C, Stanford
Of those prospects, I think Jordan would benefit them the most. He would offer another low-post threat, but he would also take a while to develop. Rose wouldn't be a bad PG for the offense, but Foye's the future starter there, so he might be out of the question. Mayo's there just because he can take control of the offense and create shots for himself. Hibbert has a soft touch on his shot, and can play a bit of defense. Minnesota would only take him if they traded down or had a pick lower than 7-8. Batum's a potential pick, Beasley is talented but doesn't work hard, and Lopez won't be drafted in the top 7-8 either.

I'd go Beasley. He and Al Jefferson would make a nasty combo. My 2nd choice is Rose, simply because I think he's the 2nd best player. Nothing helps a team turn around more than a new PG. The only reason I feel safe putting Beasley in first is because we already have Foye to play PG.

We could have a very young, potential filled line-up

Foye
Brewer
Michael Beasley
Al Jefferson
Craig Smith

Like I put, you could even play Beasley as a SF and run a bigger line-up with Craig Smith at Center.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
twolvesfan
Banned

twolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputation

what do you think about taking eric gordon at pg?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolvesfan
what do you think about taking eric gordon at pg?

I think he plays more like a shooting guard. However, so does Randy Foye. They're both hybrids so I believe that they could both play point guard together if on the court at the same time. Actually, it would be a very nice combo. I'm a big Gordon fan. I like his attitude and think he's xtremely talented. He's my #3 behind Beasley and Rose.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
I think he plays more like a shooting guard. However, so does Randy Foye. They're both hybrids so I believe that they could both play point guard together if on the court at the same time. Actually, it would be a very nice combo. I'm a big Gordon fan. I like his attitude and think he's xtremely talented. He's my #3 behind Beasley and Rose.

That's giving up a lot of size on defense, though. If they're going to get an SG, I think they need to get one with size, because they've also got Rashad McCants, who's like 6'4", right?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
FOYE4MVP
minnesota timberwolves

FOYE4MVP has an OK reputation so far

when randy foye comes back. we'll double the wins.
FOYE4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
twolvesfan
Banned

ughhh when IS he coming back
Old 01-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
FOYE4MVP
minnesota timberwolves

FOYE4MVP has an OK reputation so far

i hope the 1st week of February.
FOYE4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOYE4MVP
i hope the 1st week of February.

Hopefully three months is a long enough time to get some chemistry and an idea of who should be traded/released this offseason.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Quote:
That's giving up a lot of size on defense, though. If they're going to get an SG, I think they need to get one with size, because they've also got Rashad McCants, who's like 6'4", right?

That's true but Foye and Gordon are both pretty decent outside defenders. Size doesn't mean much on defense as long as you have the inside presence to back it up. We have would have quick guards, and Jefferson, Craig Smith, and (one of the best, most underrated inside defenders in the league) Theo Ratliff inside in case they get beat. Also, adding a defensive minded small forward (Andrei Kirilenko, Andres Nocioni, or Shawn Marion-esque) and a better back-up center to the roster over the offseason might not be a bad idea, but a Gordon-Foye backcourt is definitly possible, and could be effective if utilized.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #14
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
That's true but Foye and Gordon are both pretty decent outside defenders. Size doesn't mean much on defense as long as you have the inside presence to back it up. We have would have quick guards, and Jefferson, Craig Smith, and (one of the best, most underrated inside defenders in the league) Theo Ratliff inside in case they get beat. Also, adding a defensive minded small forward (Andrei Kirilenko, Andres Nocioni, or Shawn Marion-esque) and a better back-up center to the roster over the offseason might not be a bad idea, but a Gordon-Foye backcourt is definitly possible, and could be effective if utilized.

I don't think they need to bring in one of the above mentioned players. They are in a rebuilding mode, and if they're looking for a defensive minded small forward, why not Corey Brewer?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 AM   #15
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Quote:
I don't think they need to bring in one of the above mentioned players. They are in a rebuilding mode, and if they're looking for a defensive minded small forward, why not Corey Brewer?

I didn't mean those players specifically. Just a player like that. Corey Brewer would definitely work if he can prove he can bang inside. I can't reasonable ask for us to go after Kirilenko or Marion, but a SF like that would be important. Even Quinton Ross of the Clippers or DeShawn Stevenson of Washington could fill the role.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: