Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
Geandily
Local High School Star

Geandily has an OK reputation so far
Default Nuggets Second Best Defense?

I read this article in ESPN magazine that makes a LOT of sense, while they are 5th in points allowed they are second in points allowed per possession(0.88?) this is partly because the Nuggets themselves average 101 possessions per game!

The Nuggets have a great defense, the only reason they give up so many points is because they take so many shots early during the shotclock and it ends up giving both teams more possessions, IE more shooting=more points for both teams.

I can't remember how the rankings went for Points Per Possession but the Celtics were #1, Nuggets #2, if somebody can link the article that would be great. But this really explains why half of the people here think the Nuggets have a good defense and the other half think they have a bad defense, but if you think about it logically, the Nuggets have a very good defense.

But yeah, if anybody can find the stats on this or a link to the article on their website I would really appreciate it, I didn't get to read the whole thing because I was reading it off of the laptop of the guy sitting next to me on the plane while he was in the bathroom.
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
bhencic
Can barely lace up my sneakers

bhencic has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Nuggets Second Best Defense?

Ya thats a good point...but watching the games the nuggets are way too inconsistent on the defensive end. It seems during the game they have waves of really good defense, and then periods of very poor defense. It's all about consistency and effor and the nuggets only show it about 50% of the 48 min. And as for the coaching staff, you cant make the team better defensively by just talking about it in news conferences, timeouts, and during practice. This team has to be drilled like the spurs, and those players that dont show the effort throughout the game (no matter who it is) shouldnt play. And Karl has to get up off that bench during the game and be more vocal.
bhencic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
meloshow

meloshow has an OK reputation so far

We will never be a strong defensive team if our players are just gonna focus all their energy on offense and completely disregard Defense. Once again i blame Karl. hurry up and have a stroke Karl so we can get a new frign coach.
meloshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
miller123

miller123 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geandily
I read this article in ESPN magazine that makes a LOT of sense, while they are 5th in points allowed they are second in points allowed per possession(0.88?) this is partly because the Nuggets themselves average 101 possessions per game!

The Nuggets have a great defense, the only reason they give up so many points is because they take so many shots early during the shotclock and it ends up giving both teams more possessions, IE more shooting=more points for both teams.

I can't remember how the rankings went for Points Per Possession but the Celtics were #1, Nuggets #2, if somebody can link the article that would be great. But this really explains why half of the people here think the Nuggets have a good defense and the other half think they have a bad defense, but if you think about it logically, the Nuggets have a very good defense.

But yeah, if anybody can find the stats on this or a link to the article on their website I would really appreciate it, I didn't get to read the whole thing because I was reading it off of the laptop of the guy sitting next to me on the plane while he was in the bathroom.
not really if all the teams are still scorin they can block the shots but they dont.
miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
miller123

the nuggets dont have size some of the other teams have.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
miller123

but i think it is stupid that celtics are first cause their center sucks.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: