Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 01-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

ItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this board
Default JO could be out for the rest of the season

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3206523

Saw this in the main board... I'm not too surprised by this, either. Good thing or bad thing?
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
ReggieMiller31
I airball my layups

ReggieMiller31 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: JO could be out for the rest of the season

This is nothing but good. JO is genuinely injured, if you don't think so you haven't seen him play, I can jump higher than him right now. JO's got no trade value. I don't believe the Vince Carter rumor, I wouldn't do that deal anyway (definition of lateral, and he's got a longer deal).

This frees up 35+ minutes a night for guys like Ike and Shawne Williams, maybe see what Steve Graham can do. I think the team plays better w/o JO, but I'm not naive enough to think that will keep up over the next 40 some odd games. So say we get something like a top 8 pick, maybe even top 5. 5th pick could legitimately net Eric Gordon, who would save the franchise. There are a number of franchise players at the top of this draft.

Then next season, we've got all our young talent with experience from seeing heavy minutes this season. We've got a top-tier ready to play now rookie. And a 100% healthy JO, who will then only have 2 years left on his massive contract. This means if JO's healthy and plays like it's 2003, we're an extremely dangerous team. If JO's not healthy (more likely) he's a massive expiring contract, which only adds to his trade value. Again, JO sitting is nothing but good.

Granted, lots of ifs, but that's all we've got anymore!

Now, on to the real problem; getting rid of Troy Murphy's contract...

PS: This was my 31st post. Coincidence? I think not. It's coming true.
ReggieMiller31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i think we can still compete w/o him. with him off of the court, we can run a more fluid run & gun style of play. don't get me wrong, i'd rather have him in playable condition but we will survive if he's out for the rest of the year.

this is, however, bad for his tradability factor.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation

Bad if you want to trade him, good for developing young guys for the future. Overall, blessing in disguise, IMO. And, Indiana may now get a higher draft pick.

The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

ItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this boardItsMillerTime is popular on this board

Hey.. we won yesterday without him. Uh-oh...
Old 01-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Indiana's gonna be ****ed. They obviously won't even be a factor in the playoffs, 4-1, 4-0, IMO, and they'll get a crappy draft pick, too. Indy don't know how to lose. You can't just settle for being an average team.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i don't want them to just tank the rest of the season. IMO, that's unsportman-like.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
i don't want them to just tank the rest of the season. IMO, that's unsportman-like.

I never said they should tank, but you've gotta settle with building for the future, or trying to win NOW. The current roster won't let you do that. They could keep Dunleavy, Granger, Williams, Diogu; those sort of guys, but they should get rid of guys like Foster, O'Neal, Murphy; guys that won't have an impact on the future.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:38 AM   #9
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

catzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
I never said they should tank, but you've gotta settle with building for the future, or trying to win NOW. The current roster won't let you do that. They could keep Dunleavy, Granger, Williams, Diogu; those sort of guys, but they should get rid of guys like Foster, O'Neal, Murphy; guys that won't have an impact on the future.
Why the f-ck would we deal foster?????
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #10
gsxr1kryder
Decent playground baller

gsxr1kryder has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
but they should get rid of guys like Foster

are you serious? the others you mention, maybe. but Foster is a blue collar hard working rebounding machine.
gsxr1kryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

Amen. Build the team around Foster!!!

lol :)
Old 01-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
jbot
Future D1 Dad

the day they get rid of foster is the day i find another team.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #13
ReggieMiller31
I airball my layups

I love Foster.

But he's 29 (I think), and has a pretty good contract. If he's the guy we have to include to get rid of Murphy's ass then do it.

I'm really starting to subscribe to getting Eric Gordon, by any means necessary. He would cure everything currently wrong with the business side of Pacers Sports & Entertainment.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMiller31
I love Foster.

But he's 29 (I think), and has a pretty good contract. If he's the guy we have to include to get rid of Murphy's ass then do it.

pure blasphemy. the pacer gods frown upon you.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #15
ReggieMiller31
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
pure blasphemy. the pacer gods frown upon you.

I'm sure they do, I frown upon myself lol, but it's the truth. I'm not happy with being a mediocre team, this is Indiana, we win basketball games here. They can't do this without major changes to this roster.

I'm just questioning how long it'll take to make those changes. I really think we're stuck with JO's contract for the next 3 years, and then Murphy's for 5. You can't do any significant changes without getting rid of one of them (preferably both), and Jeff's about the only guy we have with trade value that it would make sense to trade. We've GOT to shed significant salary if we have any plan to re-sign Danny and Shawne (Ike to, but I wouldn't be as upset if he left).

As an aside, Jeff Foster is far too good for this, he deserves to be on a winning team.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: