Originally Posted by veilside23
why would the hawks trade the only consistent guy in their lineup.. Smith is the heart and soul of this team believe me..
There are a few reasons.
1. An 18-22 record. Although he's been consistent, he has yet to help this to a winning record.
2. Marvin Williams. Do you really want to give Josh Smith $10M+ a year when you also have Marvin Williams who virtually plays the same position as well as Childress? Lets not forget that they have a lot more invested in Marvin, who was the #2 overall pick whereas Josh Smith was the 17th pick the year before.
3. Monta Ellis. Why wouldn't a team like the Hawks want a rising young star guard that has been compared to Dwayne Wade? They give up a rising star themselves but does it really hurt them plugging Marvin or Childress in his place? Remember....18-22.
4. Horford is a power forward. He would be abusing opposing 4s instead, he's battling 5s.
5. Lets say Josh Smith gets injured. Being honest, would the Hawks be hurting at the small or power forward spot or would they still need a point guard?