Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Atlanta Hawks Forum

Atlanta Hawks Forum Atlanta Hawks message board - atlanta hawks fan forum

Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
BBallGuru08
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Would You Do This Trade?

The Hawks have a 3 very good small forwards in Josh Smith, Childress, and Marvin Williams. I know they're playing Smith as a PF and Horford as a center, but thats not the ideal line up. Both Josh Smith and Childress are due contract extensions and are both unrestricted free agents this summer. Do they really want to sign Smith to a huge deal with Marvin Williams on the roster? Childress will most likely command nothing more than the MLE ($5.6M). Acie Law hasn't been a factor and has struggled mightedly so far. The Hawks have been searching for an answer at the point since Johnson became a Hawk. Claxton didn't work out and neither did Lue. So here they are at 18-22 with the trade deadline approaching and another lottery pick around the corner. So who would do this trade?

Send Josh Smith and Acie Law to Golden State for Monta Ellis and Patrick O'Bryant. Both Ellis and Smith are rising stars in the league. Its a trade of need for both teams. Smith is a great rebounder and good shot blocker while Ellis is a guy that can handle the ball and score. He's not a pure point but with Joe Johnson's ability to handle the ball and pass, Ellis would be a perfect backcourt mate for Joe. Acie Law is a lottery pick as with Patrick O'Bryant who is a mobile 7 foot center in the league. He has played well when given the chance, but Nellie has glued him to the bench. Still only 22 years old and still improving. Could be the answer to the center spot for the Hawks.

For the Warriors?

PG Davis - Watson - Law
SG Jackson - Azubuike - Belinelli
SF Smith - Barnes - Pietrus
PF Harrington - Wright - Crosher
C Biedrins - Webber - Perovic

The Hawks Line up:

PG Elllis - A. Johnson - Lue
SG J. Johnson - West
SF M. Williams - Childress
PF Horford - S. Williams
C O'Bryant - Pachulia
BBallGuru08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

Default Re: Would You Do This Trade?

why would the hawks trade the only consistent guy in their lineup.. Smith is the heart and soul of this team believe me..
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
BBallGuru08
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside23
why would the hawks trade the only consistent guy in their lineup.. Smith is the heart and soul of this team believe me..

There are a few reasons.

1. An 18-22 record. Although he's been consistent, he has yet to help this to a winning record.

2. Marvin Williams. Do you really want to give Josh Smith $10M+ a year when you also have Marvin Williams who virtually plays the same position as well as Childress? Lets not forget that they have a lot more invested in Marvin, who was the #2 overall pick whereas Josh Smith was the 17th pick the year before.

3. Monta Ellis. Why wouldn't a team like the Hawks want a rising young star guard that has been compared to Dwayne Wade? They give up a rising star themselves but does it really hurt them plugging Marvin or Childress in his place? Remember....18-22.

4. Horford is a power forward. He would be abusing opposing 4s instead, he's battling 5s.

5. Lets say Josh Smith gets injured. Being honest, would the Hawks be hurting at the small or power forward spot or would they still need a point guard?
BBallGuru08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

monta ellis isnt a point guard... if you want a point guard why not go for sam casell instead
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
idizzle
Good college starter

Josh Smith plays both forward positions and he's the number 2 option behind JJ. Marvin Williams has really stepped his game up this year so I doubt he gets traded. Monta Ellis is not a true PG. The Hawks need a true PG. Acie Law is cool but I'm just not sold on him being the future PG of the Hawks. He seems more of a undersized SG.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

I don't like the trade. Takes away a lot of athleticism on the wing for the Hawks.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: