Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 02-06-2008, 01:10 AM   #1
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Default Kostas Koufas

I was watching the Ohio State V Michigan game today and came out fairly impressed by the big man. I don't usually watch NCAA ball unless it's a big event (like, for instance Duke V UNC tomorrow) but I didn't have school today so I decided to sit down and watch this before Memphis/Milwaukee came on TV.

So anyway, with that introduction, I guess you could say I don't really know much about Kostas. I found him to be impressive from the 3 point line where he got going early and hit 2/3 from the outside. Some have been saying that he could be in the lottery this year and he might be a good player in the NBA - I'd like to get some more opinions on him though. He seems like a hard-working guy and looks like he has a nice inside/outside (or vice-versea, whichever) game.

So, somebody school me on Kostas Koufas. Who does he play like? What are his biggest strengths and weaknesses? Does his game match-up with the NBA style. tempo etc? I'd really like to learn more about Koufas. Definitely seems like an interesting player.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
monthh
Local High School Star

Default Re: Kostas Koufas

Koufus is a very advanced offensive player. He can shoot from the outside which is obviously huge for him. That is the reason to make you think he might be another Okur. He can also score inside and from mid-range. How often do you find a true 7-footer who can score from anywhere on the court? That alone make him a probable lottery pick.

Of course there is also the downside. Koufus is not a great defensive player outside of being tall and getting some blocked shots. He doesn't rebound all that well either. At this point, as a freshman in college, he is a one way player. Another season in college or a year in the NBA may change all of that of course.

I probably like Koufus more than most people. I just see a touch that you can't teach a 7-footer. Some coaching on the defensive end will come no matter where he goes. He will be at least average on defense. But in the right offense this guy could be good enough to put up 16ppg and stretch the defense to help out other players.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:51 AM   #3
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

Its Kosta not Kostas. plays like a european, but is from Canton, Ohio. He is 7'0 and can shoot lights out from anywhere on the court and can handle the ball very well.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 AM   #4
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Koufus is a very advanced offensive player. He can shoot from the outside which is obviously huge for him. That is the reason to make you think he might be another Okur. He can also score inside and from mid-range. How often do you find a true 7-footer who can score from anywhere on the court? That alone make him a probable lottery pick.

Yeah. I agree. I was thinking that when I was watching the game today. I couldn't name too many players that are 7 feet tall and who are actually comfortable and confident enough with their own shot to be able to shoot the 3 ball as consistently as Koufas does.

Quote:
Of course there is also the downside. Koufus is not a great defensive player outside of being tall and getting some blocked shots. He doesn't rebound all that well either. At this point, as a freshman in college, he is a one way player. Another season in college or a year in the NBA may change all of that of course.

I probably like Koufus more than most people. I just see a touch that you can't teach a 7-footer. Some coaching on the defensive end will come no matter where he goes. He will be at least average on defense. But in the right offense this guy could be good enough to put up 16ppg and stretch the defense to help out other players.

Ah. Thank-you a lot for the rundown on his strenghts and weaknesses. I was really keen on learning more about him. He seemed like a very good player in the game today and I was interested in learning more, so thanks for the run down. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Its Kosta not Kostas. plays like a european, but is from Canton, Ohio. He is 7'0 and can shoot lights out from anywhere on the court and can handle the ball very well.

It said Kostas on TV today.

Full name: Konstantinos D. “Kosta” Koufos

It wouldn't really matter anyway what his name is because it doesn't really make a difference in the end, but thanks for the correction anyway. Also, I didn't notice much of a handle on him. Can you show me a clip or two of him handling the ball. I'd be really intrigued if he had a good handle on him.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

He has good handles for a 7 footer. He is no crossover machine but he can hold his own.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: