Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Walton_04
Decent playground baller

Walton_04 has an OK reputation so far
Default What truly concerns me about Phoenix...

Is that they become comfortable at the half-court setting (on offense), and Shaq gets enough rest that he goes into the playoffs healthy.

This is where Odom needs to make his money. Bynum might just handle his own against Shaq one-on-one. Bynum can demand a lot from Shaq on defense, and hopefully that takes away from Shaq's game on offense. I don't know if Pau can keep up with Amare, so they really have to watch those two and find ways to clog the passing lanes. And how does Ronnie do against Amare?

Back to Odom, he could become like a free safety. He could make it difficult for smaller players to drive to the basket, and help double-team the paint where needed.

If Phoenix doesn't bolster its bench through trades, then the Lakers have the advantage there.
We can always have 2 fresh guards (Farmar, Fish) against Nash, and Sasha can refresh Kobe, and maintain good defense to go with an offensive threat; he is hitting his 3's regulary And I can't forget about Ariza.

Anyway, it could be a nightmare to go against 2 scoring threats at the Paint (remember Shaq-Mailman?), but I'm hoping the Laker depth prevails on this one.

I'd love to hear from GTS on this one! Should the Lakers be at least a little worried?
Walton_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Kobe/Bynum/Gasol
I airball my layups

Kobe/Bynum/Gasol has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What truly concerns me about Phoenix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walton_04
I don't know if Pau can keep up with Amare, so they really have to watch those two and find ways to clog the passing lanes. And how does Ronnie do against Amare?

They can always try Ariza on Amare
Kobe/Bynum/Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe/Bynum/Gasol
They can always try Ariza on Amare
I don't have any great suggestions myself, but this will not work. Amare will pound Ariza in the post.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
akts
Serious playground baller

akts has decent reputationakts has decent reputation

Shaq and Amare can cause problems on offense no doubt.. but both are foul prone. Very much so this year. I think if at times they can switch Bynum on Amare and Gasol on Shaq on offensive sets to make those 2 play defense they will get 4 to 5 fouls by the 3rd easy. This is why Skinner is there for them. He is great for them.. he hustles, runs and attacks... but his defense is very very underrated. Watching the games he gave bynum more problems than any other player. He is Amares backup at the PF slot and has played some CTR.

On the defensive end I think Bynum can negate shaq. He has played well against physical Centers (howard, J Oneal) and Forwards (boozer, Amare). His athleticism and leaping/timing have made him a terror. He is now in the minds of people who dare to go into the paint when he is there. He can alter shots just by being in the vicinity. His Help Defense is great too.. as he can close the lane quickly on people driving to the hole and usually gets a block.

Gasol to me is not as polished on defense. I wish he would focus more on it as he has the length. His lack of a Bigger build allow players to push their way to the hole and post him up.If he gained more mass it would possible effect his speed . Yet what he brings on offense makes up for his defensive holes. He can finish, face up and pop, drive and glide, or post. Also his passing is no slouch as well.

Ariza/Lamar to me is the xfactor in the matchup. Ariza has played great in the games he was there and his no fear attitude to the hole can make their defenders take notice of him and make them lose track of Bynum , Gasol or Ariza himself for give n go's. His defense on Hill or Bell has been disruptive and he can hold his own against them on the run as he is quick as hell.
Lamar used to matcup with Marion and in many ways they negated each other out. It will be interesting to see how G. Hill will try and guard him.

PHX used the run n gun to beat us in the past as all we really had was half court sets. Yet now we can run and gun and beat them at their own game in the 2 meetings we were at full strength. We still have a half court set.. it is PHX who has to get used to the half set and who will do what and set up where for the shots.

I look forward like a mofo to the games we meet up.
akts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The problem here is that now Amare is now a PF with Shaq playing center.

Assuming that Shaq actually plays, Pau would be on Amare and he's not exactly a defensive stopper. Perhaps since Shaquille is less of an offensive threat, we could put Bynum on Amare since he does a great Job on him but I wouldn't want Bynum running out.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Laker Magic 32
Kids at the park dunk on me

Laker Magic 32 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
The problem here is that now Amare is now a PF with Shaq playing center.

Assuming that Shaq actually plays, Pau would be on Amare and he's not exactly a defensive stopper. Perhaps since Shaquille is less of an offensive threat, we could put Bynum on Amare since he does a great Job on him but I wouldn't want Bynum running out.

We can always put Turiaf on Amare and have Pau come of the bench. Skinner will have difficulties gaurding a mobile big man far away from the rim.
Laker Magic 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think we have enough guys who can play aginst amare and shaq to cause fouls on them. Key is to get amare and shaq in foul trouble, which is their biggest weakness. Gasol is hard to defend, along with bynum and LO. Get their bigs in foul trouble. On offense, we just need to throw big bodies at shaq, which is why like us keeping mbenga.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Kappy
Local High School Star

Kappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat cool

hahahaha, ... Do you think Phil would actually pull a Hack-A-Shaq? That would be so fricken funny! Especially if he did it here in L.A.!! I would love it!!!
Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy
hahahaha, ... Do you think Phil would actually pull a Hack-A-Shaq? That would be so fricken funny! Especially if he did it here in L.A.!! I would love it!!!
If its necessary.. why not?
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Good point, Laker fans should be worried about PHX because they bounced us out of the playoffs the last 2 years.

Last year the Lakers didn't have the offense to keep up with them and now we do so the keys to beating PHX are rebounding and defense.

My keys to defeating PHX in no particular order:
1. Andrew is going to be the best rebounder and defender out there so having a healthy Bynum is most important.
2. Gasol has to do a much of boxing out and holding his position defensively. Hopefully come playoff time he'll get more agressive when it comes to rebounding.
3. They need to start off leaving Bynum 1 on 1 with Shaq. IF he can handle that it will make defending everyone else so much easier.
4. Win the points in the paint. Make Amare a jump shooter, don't give up dunks to Shaq. Bynum lobs, Gasol in the post, Odom and Kobe driving to the hole.
5. Defend the 3 point line. No wide open 3's, don't leave certain guys to help defensively, Bell and Nash especially. Don't go under screens with nash, fight over the top and dont let him get off the 3 ball off screens.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Before we talk about all this...........

really...our team needs to close out 4th quarters man.
KILLER INSTINCT!!!!!

There are too many 4th quarters where teams out score etc.
Look at Miami...they almost came back...ATL...we were up by 8 heading into the 4th. That game against GS..........Lakers need to handle business in the 4th and then we can start talking about going deep in the playoffs.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #12
Kappy
Local High School Star

Kappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner

KILLER INSTINCT!!!!!

Look at Miami...they almost came back...ATL...we were up by 8 heading into the 4th. That game against GS..........Lakers need to handle business in the 4th and then we can start talking about going deep in the playoffs.

I agree 100%. I always start getting squirmey and anxious when the 4th quarter starts for the Lakers. They love making their fans sweat!!!
Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here

Maybe it won't be much since traffic will be more congested by three 7' guys in the playing field?
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #14
Local High School Star

211269 has an OK reputation so far

I have said this before nd I will say it again. The Suns are NOT a half court set team!! They rely on fast break points and run and gun for their points. That is why they get held to low scores an lose when you slow them down. Not only do they not have the right team to play a half court set, you cant just bring in Shaq and change your whole style of play mid season and expect it to magically work. The Suns got older and slower and there is nothing to be worried about from what I can see.
211269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 PM   #15
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner

KILLER INSTINCT!!!!!

excellent point, they need to do a better job of finishing teams off, KILLER INSTINCT! They should have put away CHA, MIA, and ATL recently. They should never of had hope in the 4th. We just need to keep winning til the kid comes back, then kill, kill, kill!
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: