Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 02-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

BayAreaSportz has an OK reputation so far
Default BayAreaSportz Mock Draft

1. Minnesota - DeAndre Jordan 7’0 C Texas A&M

Though athletic 7 footers are becoming more common in the league, they’re still a highly sought after commodity and Jordan is just that. A 7 footer with great fluidity, potential, and hops. Has some nice go to moves but still pretty raw offensively. With the young Wolves looking to rebuild, McHale (who had Parish) knows they need a solid big and will pass on guys like Rose and Beasley to get Jordan. NBA Comparison: Dwight Howard

2. Miami - Michael Beasley 6’9 SF/PF Kansas State

A smooth left handed combo forward. Can create his own shot as well as score with his back to the basket. An athletic beast and quite strong already. A great rebounder. Miami is looking for another scoring option, preferrably a front court player. Rose could be a possibility here as well but I don’t think can pass up on Beasley. With Davis and Wright’s contract expiring, MB could be their starting SF. NBA Comparison: Lamar Odom

3. Seattle - Derrick Rose 6’3 PG Memphis

Not having an outstanding year at Memphis but his team is undefeated. Has a very high ceiling. A pure point unlike Bayless and Mayo. Has the ability to make everyone around him better. A perfect backcourt mate for Durant who loves to shoot the ball. Rose is also extremely quick, strong and athletic. NBA Comparison: Baron Davis

4. Memphis - Eric Gordon 6’3 SG Indiana

Undersized lead guard, but has outstanding athletic ability and is built like a tank. Like most Indiana products, Gordon is a tough defender. He has deceptive quickness and can get to the basket anytime he wants. Has excellent range out to the NBA 3 point line. Quite a prolific scorer in college. Will his size hurt him at the next level? NBA Comparison: Ben Gordon

5. New York - OJ Mayo 6’5 PG/SG USC

The purest scorer in the draft. Can create his own shot anytime. Poor shot selection at times. Fast and premier athlete. Attitude problems drops him out of the top 3 picks as I ranked him above Rose. NY has a history of getting guys with baggage and this pick is no different. The talent is there. NBA Comparison: Dwayne Wade

6. LA Clippers - Jerryd Bayless 6’3 PG Arizona

I have Bayless ranked as the best point guard in the draft, but Rose has much more potential to be a star. Bayless is a shoot first point guard with amazing quickness and leaping ability. Needs to get stronger. An electricfying player with great character. With Livingston’s career probably over and Cassell gone this summer, Bayless would be the perfect pick. NBA Comparison: Monta Ellis

7. Philadelphia - Tyler Hansbourgh 6’9 PF North Carolina

Hansborough is perhaps the best player in college this year. Its hard to ignore 20 points and 10.8 boards a game while playing in the ACC which is the toughest conference. He doesn’t have great speed or world class athleticism, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a tad of either as everyone saw on his dunk on 7’7 Kenny George. He has great strength and excellent basketball smarts. He is carrying UNC thus far. NBA Comparison: Carlos Boozer

8. Charlotte - Brooke Lopez 7’0 C Stanford

Not the most graceful athlete there is, but he gets the job done. Has good length and athleticism. Soft hands with range out to 15 feet. A solid rebounder and shot blocker. A very tough interior defender. Not much of an offensive game and will get his points picking up garbage. If Lopez could move Okafor the 4 where he’s more comfortable, then I think this team could really make some noise next year with Felton, Richardson, Wallace, Okafor, and Lopez as your line up. NBA Comparison: Andris Biedrins

9. Milwaukee - Donte Green 6’10 SF Syracuse

An excellent shooter for his size with solid rebounding skills. A bit too one dimensional offensively at this point, but has the tools to be a nice all around player. With Simmon’s constant injuries, having a small forward like Green will come in handy. NBA Comparison: Tim Thomas

10. Chicago - Nicholas Batum 6’8 SG/SF France

Isn’t great at one thing, but does everything extremely well. Can shoot, pass, and handle the ball. Plays good perimeter defense and is a decent rebounder for his size. A jaw dropping leaper. Has potential to be a Tracy McGrady type player. With Gordon in a contract year, Batum could be that big 2 guard they’ve been looking for. NBA Comparison: Joe Johnson

11. New Jersey - Roy Hibbert 7’2 C Georgetown

A mountain of a man with good mobility for his size. A good shot blocker but needs to do a better job on the boards. His offensive game is coming along and progressing. Very good work ethic and will become a very good NBA center in a few years. Hibbert will give the Nets the ability to play Kristic as the power foward, which he is better suited for. NBA Comparison: Zydrunas Ilgauskas

12. Indiana - Chase Budinger 6’7 SG Arizona

Has a non stop motor on both ends of the court. A very smart players that uses screens to perfection. A very accurate shooter and possibly the best 3 point shooter in the draft. Very athletic and a slam dunk contestant in the waiting. Indiana’s biggest need is a shooting guard to do exactly what Reggie Miller did and Budinger can do just that. NBA Comparison: Richard Hamilton

13. Sacramento - Kevin Love 6’9 PF UCLA

A great post player with an arsenal of moves to score. Also has range out to 3 point range. Would be a nice pickup for the Kings with an aging Rahim and Thomas. NBA Comparison: David Lee

14. Phoenix (from Atlanta) - Darren Collison 6’0 PG UCLA

A tremendous floor general who plays excellent defense. Will cause lots of turnovers. A great athlete capable of some highlight reel type dunks. Pretty quick and a decent playmaker. Would be a nice back up to Nash. NBA Comparison: Kevin Johnson

The Rest:

15. Houston - Darrel Arthur 6’9 PF Kansas

16. Toronto - Danilo Gallinari 6’9 SF Italy

17. Washington - Kosta Koufos 7’1 C Ohio State

18. Cleveland - Chris Douglas-Roberts 6’5 SG Memphis

19. Utah - DJ Augustin 5’11 PG Texas

20. Golden State - DeVon Hardin 6’11 PF/C California

21. Portland - Tywon Lawson 5’11 PG North Carolina

22. Denver - Hasheem Thabeet 7’2 C Connecticut

23. Orlando - Richard Hendrix 6’8 PF Alabama

24. Memphis (From Lakers) - Serge Ibaka 6’10 PF Spain

25. San Antonio - Nathan Jawai 6’11 C Australia

26. Dallas - Brandan Rush 6’7 SG/SF Kansas

27 Seattle (from Phoenix) - John Riek 7’2 C Sudan

28. Detroit - Courtney Lee 6’6 SG/SF Western Kentucky

29. New Orleans - Bill Walker 6’6 SG/SF Kansas State

30. Boston - Tyler Smith 6’7 SF Tennessee
BayAreaSportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation
Default Re: BayAreaSportz Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaSportz
1. Minnesota - DeAndre Jordan 7’0 C Texas A&M

Though athletic 7 footers are becoming more common in the league, they’re still a highly sought after commodity and Jordan is just that. A 7 footer with great fluidity, potential, and hops. Has some nice go to moves but still pretty raw offensively. With the young Wolves looking to rebuild, McHale (who had Parish) knows they need a solid big and will pass on guys like Rose and Beasley to get Jordan. NBA Comparison: Dwight Howard

2. Miami - Michael Beasley 6’9 SF/PF Kansas State

A smooth left handed combo forward. Can create his own shot as well as score with his back to the basket. An athletic beast and quite strong already. A great rebounder. Miami is looking for another scoring option, preferrably a front court player. Rose could be a possibility here as well but I don’t think can pass up on Beasley. With Davis and Wright’s contract expiring, MB could be their starting SF. NBA Comparison: Lamar Odom

3. Seattle - Derrick Rose 6’3 PG Memphis

Not having an outstanding year at Memphis but his team is undefeated. Has a very high ceiling. A pure point unlike Bayless and Mayo. Has the ability to make everyone around him better. A perfect backcourt mate for Durant who loves to shoot the ball. Rose is also extremely quick, strong and athletic. NBA Comparison: Baron Davis

4. Memphis - Eric Gordon 6’3 SG Indiana

Undersized lead guard, but has outstanding athletic ability and is built like a tank. Like most Indiana products, Gordon is a tough defender. He has deceptive quickness and can get to the basket anytime he wants. Has excellent range out to the NBA 3 point line. Quite a prolific scorer in college. Will his size hurt him at the next level? NBA Comparison: Ben Gordon

5. New York - OJ Mayo 6’5 PG/SG USC

The purest scorer in the draft. Can create his own shot anytime. Poor shot selection at times. Fast and premier athlete. Attitude problems drops him out of the top 3 picks as I ranked him above Rose. NY has a history of getting guys with baggage and this pick is no different. The talent is there. NBA Comparison: Dwayne Wade

6. LA Clippers - Jerryd Bayless 6’3 PG Arizona

I have Bayless ranked as the best point guard in the draft, but Rose has much more potential to be a star. Bayless is a shoot first point guard with amazing quickness and leaping ability. Needs to get stronger. An electricfying player with great character. With Livingston’s career probably over and Cassell gone this summer, Bayless would be the perfect pick. NBA Comparison: Monta Ellis

7. Philadelphia - Tyler Hansbourgh 6’9 PF North Carolina

Hansborough is perhaps the best player in college this year. Its hard to ignore 20 points and 10.8 boards a game while playing in the ACC which is the toughest conference. He doesn’t have great speed or world class athleticism, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a tad of either as everyone saw on his dunk on 7’7 Kenny George. He has great strength and excellent basketball smarts. He is carrying UNC thus far. NBA Comparison: Carlos Boozer

8. Charlotte - Brooke Lopez 7’0 C Stanford

Not the most graceful athlete there is, but he gets the job done. Has good length and athleticism. Soft hands with range out to 15 feet. A solid rebounder and shot blocker. A very tough interior defender. Not much of an offensive game and will get his points picking up garbage. If Lopez could move Okafor the 4 where he’s more comfortable, then I think this team could really make some noise next year with Felton, Richardson, Wallace, Okafor, and Lopez as your line up. NBA Comparison: Andris Biedrins

9. Milwaukee - Donte Green 6’10 SF Syracuse

An excellent shooter for his size with solid rebounding skills. A bit too one dimensional offensively at this point, but has the tools to be a nice all around player. With Simmon’s constant injuries, having a small forward like Green will come in handy. NBA Comparison: Tim Thomas

10. Chicago - Nicholas Batum 6’8 SG/SF France

Isn’t great at one thing, but does everything extremely well. Can shoot, pass, and handle the ball. Plays good perimeter defense and is a decent rebounder for his size. A jaw dropping leaper. Has potential to be a Tracy McGrady type player. With Gordon in a contract year, Batum could be that big 2 guard they’ve been looking for. NBA Comparison: Joe Johnson

11. New Jersey - Roy Hibbert 7’2 C Georgetown

A mountain of a man with good mobility for his size. A good shot blocker but needs to do a better job on the boards. His offensive game is coming along and progressing. Very good work ethic and will become a very good NBA center in a few years. Hibbert will give the Nets the ability to play Kristic as the power foward, which he is better suited for. NBA Comparison: Zydrunas Ilgauskas

12. Indiana - Chase Budinger 6’7 SG Arizona

Has a non stop motor on both ends of the court. A very smart players that uses screens to perfection. A very accurate shooter and possibly the best 3 point shooter in the draft. Very athletic and a slam dunk contestant in the waiting. Indiana’s biggest need is a shooting guard to do exactly what Reggie Miller did and Budinger can do just that. NBA Comparison: Richard Hamilton

13. Sacramento - Kevin Love 6’9 PF UCLA

A great post player with an arsenal of moves to score. Also has range out to 3 point range. Would be a nice pickup for the Kings with an aging Rahim and Thomas. NBA Comparison: David Lee

14. Phoenix (from Atlanta) - Darren Collison 6’0 PG UCLA

A tremendous floor general who plays excellent defense. Will cause lots of turnovers. A great athlete capable of some highlight reel type dunks. Pretty quick and a decent playmaker. Would be a nice back up to Nash. NBA Comparison: Kevin Johnson

The Rest:

15. Houston - Darrel Arthur 6’9 PF Kansas

16. Toronto - Danilo Gallinari 6’9 SF Italy

17. Washington - Kosta Koufos 7’1 C Ohio State

18. Cleveland - Chris Douglas-Roberts 6’5 SG Memphis

19. Utah - DJ Augustin 5’11 PG Texas

20. Golden State - DeVon Hardin 6’11 PF/C California

21. Portland - Tywon Lawson 5’11 PG North Carolina

22. Denver - Hasheem Thabeet 7’2 C Connecticut

23. Orlando - Richard Hendrix 6’8 PF Alabama

24. Memphis (From Lakers) - Serge Ibaka 6’10 PF Spain

25. San Antonio - Nathan Jawai 6’11 C Australia

26. Dallas - Brandan Rush 6’7 SG/SF Kansas

27 Seattle (from Phoenix) - John Riek 7’2 C Sudan

28. Detroit - Courtney Lee 6’6 SG/SF Western Kentucky

29. New Orleans - Bill Walker 6’6 SG/SF Kansas State

30. Boston - Tyler Smith 6’7 SF Tennessee

I don't think DeAndre Jordan will go #1. He hasn't been playing like a #1 draft pick, and he is far from a polished project. He should stay in school... Memphis has a big need for a big man, but none are available. Gordon might not be a bad pick here... Hansbrough at #7 is a reach, IMO. Not saying he can't be a good player, but I think Philadelphia could do better at #7... Budinger wouldn't be much different from Dunleavy. They can do better here, IMO... I think Arthur and Thabeet could go a bit higher.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
stewen12
Banned

stewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation here

how is beasley compared to odom?
stewen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewen12

I wondered that too. I don't like the comparisons in this thread; the mock draft would be a bit improved if they were left out.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewen12

Both left handers that can handle the ball. Beasley is pretty versatile like Odom. Odom has played small and power forward in the league with very little problems. While Lamar was at Rhode Island, he posted 10 boards a game to go with his 17 points. Both are tweeners. Beasley has been compared to guys like Carmelo Anthony and Antoine Walker. He's a more complete player than Anthony as well as a better rebounder. He's closer to a Celtic's Antoine Walker, but MB has much more speed and athleticism.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
I don't think DeAndre Jordan will go #1. He hasn't been playing like a #1 draft pick, and he is far from a polished project. He should stay in school... Memphis has a big need for a big man, but none are available. Gordon might not be a bad pick here... Hansbrough at #7 is a reach, IMO. Not saying he can't be a good player, but I think Philadelphia could do better at #7... Budinger wouldn't be much different from Dunleavy. They can do better here, IMO... I think Arthur and Thabeet could go a bit higher.

I don't know why so many people sleep on Hansborough. He's a favorite to win the Naismith Award. He's averaging a double-double in a very competitive conference and he's the best player on a team thats ranked 5th in the country. If he falls out of the lottery like the majority of mocks have him, then he'll be a big steal of the first round. He'll have a David Lee impact.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
I don't know why so many people sleep on Hansborough. He's a favorite to win the Naismith Award. He's averaging a double-double in a very competitive conference and he's the best player on a team thats ranked 5th in the country. If he falls out of the lottery like the majority of mocks have him, then he'll be a big steal of the first round. He'll have a David Lee impact.

Just because a player performs well in college, doesn't mean the same for the NBA. Look at J.J. Redick and Shelden Willams: Both very good players for one of the top teams in the country, but they are nothing in the NBA. The jury is still out on Adam Morrison, but I think I know what the answer to him will be.

Quote:
Both left handers that can handle the ball. Beasley is pretty versatile like Odom. Odom has played small and power forward in the league with very little problems. While Lamar was at Rhode Island, he posted 10 boards a game to go with his 17 points. Both are tweeners. Beasley has been compared to guys like Carmelo Anthony and Antoine Walker. He's a more complete player than Anthony as well as a better rebounder. He's closer to a Celtic's Antoine Walker, but MB has much more speed and athleticism.

I don't see the significance of both of them being left-handed.

Carmelo would probably be the best comparison, IMO. Beasley will be better than Odom.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
dogman652
Serious playground baller

dogman652 has decent reputation

Hibbert is a much higher then #10 pick. He is the best center in college basketball at the moment.
dogman652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman652
Hibbert is a much higher then #10 pick. He is the best center in college basketball at the moment.

Where do you think the ideal spot for him to go would be? I have to disagree with you on this one. Hibbert is a good college basketball player, but I don't see him being a big-time NBA player. Maybe on the caliber of Ziddy. I don't think he will have a huge impact on any team, just a average-solid option as a starter, maybe comes off the bench and contributes. I think other bigs like Hasheem Thabeet and DeAndre have the upper edge in the battle for first center selected, since they both have athleticism that fits the NBA speed.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:28 AM   #10
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three

Budinger wouldn't be much different from Dunleavy? Yeah, except for ummmm....well the fact that Budinger's vert is around 40 inches and he's twice the athlete Dunleavy is.
I also prefer Beasley being compared to Melo, he is a bit more complete and more athletic, but other than that it's a good comparison. Also, there is no way Beasley won't go first, unless the team that gets the first pick already has a quite good SF...and even then, toss Beasley at PF or put that SF at SG and have Beaz play SF.

Last edited by skan72 : 02-13-2008 at 12:30 AM.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: