Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-19-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
Ol Dirty Bastard
Local High School Star

Ol Dirty Bastard has not been impressing people
Default How bad is coffee?

*topic*
My concern is that I find coffee to work really well when I'm at work, because i usually work late. BUT...
Is it bad to drink 2 cups a day, meaning is that just too much caffeine for one day?
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How bad is coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Bastard
*topic*
My concern is that I find coffee to work really well when I'm at work, because i usually work late. BUT...
Is it bad to drink 2 cups a day, meaning is that just too much caffeine for one day?

Not. Roughly about 120 to 160 mg of caffiene a day. But your body may be immune to the effects of caffiene. That and excess caffiene causes low bone density. Make sure yo take a good multi.

Last edited by hateraid : 02-19-2008 at 04:02 AM.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
NotWorthy
Decent playground baller

NotWorthy has an OK reputation so far

It is far better than drinking soda, just don't put too much sugar in it. Maybe try not drink any caffeine when you aren't working.
NotWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

good responses so far. as worthy points out, its way better than soda (esp since so many people drink it in gallon jugs from 7-11 nowadays) simply because it has no calories (black that is). Coffee actually has some health benefits (high antioxidant levels), but dont drink it on an empty stomach (acidity can cause issues). again, if you are worried about various circulatory system impacts, well.... maybe drink yerba mate (you should be able to find it in a big grocery store), most popular breakfast drink in S Am and much better for you.

finally, compared to these "energy" drinks we load up on nowadays, coffee aint **** in terms of long term health impact.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

How many ounces are you talking about?

I drink a 12oz cup in the morning with 1 half/half and 3 packets of sweet and low.

I hate coffee, but my work cafeteria has the only coffee I like.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

wTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat cool

coffee is bad in general. especially for old people. it reduces bone mass. and with the cream, it will especially make your cholestrol go up.
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

i switched over to tea.

it sits better in my stomach
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Ol Dirty Bastard
Local High School Star

Ol Dirty Bastard has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
How many ounces are you talking about?

I drink a 12oz cup in the morning with 1 half/half and 3 packets of sweet and low.

I hate coffee, but my work cafeteria has the only coffee I like.

i f**ks with the lattes or mochas, dont know if thats in the same field as plain coffee
but i usually get one of them with an extra shot for that boost

I see what everyone is talking about though, how it isnt healthy in the long run
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
SHEED_ gangsta
I know everything

SHEED_ gangsta has decent reputationSHEED_ gangsta has decent reputation

reduces bone mass? wow I did'nt know that coffee is fine as long as it's no more than 2 cups and you drink lots of water and eat somthing with every coffee you have you'll be fine. I don't know about this bone mass thing I've been drinking coffee for about 6 years now n and have very high bone density and have never broken a single bone in my body. oh yeah also NEVER drink coffee before you play ball or workout it's really bad for your heart and you'll cramp up and get all shakey
SHEED_ gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Inspector Rick
Great young streetballer

Inspector Rick has an OK reputation so far

I work in a caffe and consume a lot of caffeine in a day. Sometimes drinks up to 4 shots. I'm trying to scale back though.
Inspector Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here

best way to "stay up" is to eat healthy, excersize daily, and get enough sleep. problem is that all three of those can be hard to do when you got a busy work schedule. hence people turn to coffee and energy drinks.

what i do is i put all the fruit i would consume over the course of a day into a blender the night before my next day at work. put a little yogurt and cherry syrup in it to give it some extra substance and flavor, blend it up and throw it in a big waterbottle and stick it in the refrigerator. next morning i just take it out and bring it to work with me. if you have to be up late, snack on some dark chocolate because that has caffeine plus antioxidants. dark chocolate is good for you in moderation. make sure its dark choc and not milk choc.

i will drink coffee once in a while if i need an added boost but i cant really imagine using it every day as an alternative to natural fatigue-preventing measures, i.e. nutrition, excersize, sleep. to me the concept of drinking coffee everyday is as foreign as smoking a pack of cigs every day.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
SHEED_ gangsta
I know everything

SHEED_ gangsta has decent reputationSHEED_ gangsta has decent reputation

you can do both eat very heatly get good sleep AND drink coffee you'll be dunking in no time
SHEED_ gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

wTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat coolwTFaMonkey is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEED_ gangsta
reduces bone mass? wow I did'nt know that coffee is fine as long as it's no more than 2 cups and you drink lots of water and eat somthing with every coffee you have you'll be fine. I don't know about this bone mass thing I've been drinking coffee for about 6 years now n and have very high bone density and have never broken a single bone in my body. oh yeah also NEVER drink coffee before you play ball or workout it's really bad for your heart and you'll cramp up and get all shakey

coffee strips away the calcium in your bone. thus, shrinks your bone density
Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
Aldridge Fan
Go Blazers!

Aldridge Fan has decent reputationAldridge Fan has decent reputation

Coffee can also cause stress to certain people. Which is not good for your heart of course.

Tea is better for you though.
Aldridge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:57 PM   #15
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldridge Fan
Coffee can also cause stress to certain people. Which is not good for your heart of course.

Tea is better for you though.

tea is GREAT

the only bad thing is it kind of stains your teeth. but other than that. tea is probably the best thing you can drink besides other than water
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: