Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default AFG% a cool stat I think is pretty cool

I found this on ESPN last year and have really come to like this stat quite a bit. It basically takes into account how the 3 pt shot impacts your shooting%, here is the def:

AFG%: Adjusted Field Goal Percentage = [(PTS - FTM)/FGA]/2
AFG% measures shooting efficiency by taking into account the total points a player produces through his field goal attempts. The intention of this adjustment is largely to evaluate the impact of three-point shooting. For example, if Shaquille O'Neal has 3-5 FG, all two-point shots for 6 points, then his AFG% = [(6/5)]/2 = .600. Meanwhile, if Ray Allen is 2-5 FG, but his 2 FGM are both three-pointers for 6 points, then his AFG% = [(6/5)]/2 = .600

here are the lakers leaders:
Bynum .636
Gasol .632
Sasha .589 (Miller leads all guards at .599)
Farmar .560

It gives a real measure of how effective a shooter a player is

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/stats?team=lal&sort=afg%&avg=pg&order=true&season= 2&seasonYear=2008&split=0

thought this might interest some of you guys.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
praneel
Stay Strong Droth

praneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: AFG% a cool stat I think is pretty cool

never heard about it, but it takes into account the 3 point shot when all is said and done. Good data
praneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: AFG% a cool stat I think is pretty cool

yeah it's a good stat to seperate the wheat from the chaff so to speak.. when i hear guys say such and such has a lousy field goal percentage it's a good stat to get a quick idea...i like the break down done on 82 games, it also shows where the shots are being taken and if they are assisted or not
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: