Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-27-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
LakerDynasty00
High school junior varsity star

LakerDynasty00 has decent reputationLakerDynasty00 has decent reputation
Default Kobe Haters have a Home

Here's an old article (May, 2006) from Slate magazine (online) that I found randomly today about one writer's hatred for Kobe. Not sure if this was passed around at the time or not, but I think its an interesting read--even now (with how well things have gone for us Laker fans lately)--and may be the best explanation as to why my favorite player garners so much hate. I think Kobe's the best player in the game, but I do think he has some unusual insecurities and some character flaws that may have contributed to his on-the-court and occasional off-the-court mistakes/failures. This article illuminates on those concepts better than I could ever imagine doing so myself:

http://www.slate.com/id/2141287/

Questions: has he come to terms with his demons and turned a corner...or does winning just make everything better (at least on the surface)? Does winning a championship even hinge on these issues or can a good supporting cast (like currently constructed) take us there despite them? If he does win a title (as the main man) over the next few years might we see a different Kobe?

LakerDynasty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Kobe Haters have a Home

Interesting article, though it didn't really say anything new. It had the same ol' "Kobe's plagiarized MJ," "Kobe acts phoney" arguments we've been seeing and hearing since, like, ever. The arguments are legitimate, but they don't really hold any weight: yeah, Kobe copied this and that move from MJ--so what? It's not like any schmuck you meet on the street can drop 50+ on NBA defenders just by studying MJ videos on youtube. I also had a problem with the argument that Kobe's team-oriented play in the 06 Phx series was a conscious attempt to prove the MVP voters wrong--if he really wanted to go out of his way to make a statement in favor of an INDIVIDUAL award, he would have gone for 40 every night and piled up ridiculous scoring numbers, instead of playing the facilitator role.

That said, Kobe the person is not beyond reproach. I myself lost a lot of faith in him when he went on the radio tour. I understand it was a result of frustration on Kobe's part (and I can empathize with him, to a degree), and thankfully he shut up soon thereafter, but I still can't get over how completely selfish and tactless his actions that day were. When he issued that trade demand, he was basically drawing a line in the sand--and I will always stand on the Lakers' side of the line over that of any individual player. The fact that he never recanted that demand or apologized to his teammates (for essentially telling them they sucked) showed me that, when the going gets tough, Kobe will be on Kobe's side. It's not that I blame Kobe for that (it's human nature), but it did shatter any delusions that Kobe's being here is anything more than a business relationship; as long as Kobe's interests coincide with the Lakers' interests, I can continue to support him, but I'll always think that Kobe's one prolonged Laker slump away from another trade demand.

Thankfully, winning solves everything. Success can cover up a lot of the personality quirks that Kobe's exhibited over the years. I don't know if he's grown up a whole lot from the 26 y/o Kobe that gunned his team to a Finals crap-out, but the circumstances are different: it's no longer a question of who "the man" on this team is. Which is good, because as loaded as the Lakers are this year, they're no so far ahead of everyone else that they can survive a repeat of Kobe's Detroit performance.

Ah, geez. That was long-winded. I've just become RidonKs minus the writing ability. Maybe I shouldn't push the post butto
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
Ah, geez. That was long-winded. I've just become RidonKs minus the writing ability.

Oh man, thats freaking funny!!!

It is a good take. I even read the whole thing.

One thing I have learned in life is that there are truly very few true heros in the world. To me, aside from my parents, most people that I looked up to have found a way to disappoint me. I have learned not to put them up on a pedestal and the less I know about their personal lives, the better. I just try to appreciate them for the contribution(s) they bring to the world.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Frank Foley

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
One thing I have learned in life is that there are truly very few true heros in the world. To me, aside from my parents, most people that I looked up to have found a way to disappoint me. I have learned not to put them up on a pedestal and the less I know about their personal lives, the better. I just try to appreciate them for the contribution(s) they bring to the world.

Well stated.

I wouldn't say that I've ever put Kobe on a pedestal, but he's lost the benefit of the doubt. To illustrate my point: if rumors surfaced that Pau hated LA and wanted to get traded, I would reserve judgment. Why? Because he has no history of acting out like this, and I don't know enough about the guy to assume what is or isn't consistent with his character. If the same rumors surfaced about Kobe, I'd still refrain from bashing him until I knew exactly what had been said, but I wouldn't doubt that he had said it. And I'd probably be a little ticked off.

I should clarify that my opinions are not based solely on the radio tour -- that was simply the tipping point. Things build up over time: getting surgery in Colorado without telling anybody, going on ESPN to call Shaq a bad teammate, ratting Shaq out during the police interrogation, calling the guy who writes his paychecks "an idiot," lying about apologizing to Andrew, etc., etc.. Somewhere along the way, I stopped trying to defend the guy. He's a fantastic player, and there's no one I'd rather watch, but I'm never gonna assume he's Mr. Virtue off the court.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
m1sterb
Great young streetballer

m1sterb has not been impressing people

Quote:
Well stated.

I wouldn't say that I've ever put Kobe on a pedestal, but he's lost the benefit of the doubt. To illustrate my point: if rumors surfaced that Pau hated LA and wanted to get traded, I would reserve judgment. Why? Because he has no history of acting out like this, and I don't know enough about the guy to assume what is or isn't consistent with his character. If the same rumors surfaced about Kobe, I'd still refrain from bashing him until I knew exactly what had been said, but I wouldn't doubt that he had said it. And I'd probably be a little ticked off.

I should clarify that my opinions are not based solely on the radio tour -- that was simply the tipping point. Things build up over time: getting surgery in Colorado without telling anybody, going on ESPN to call Shaq a bad teammate, ratting Shaq out during the police interrogation, calling the guy who writes his paychecks "an idiot," lying about apologizing to Andrew, etc., etc.. Somewhere along the way, I stopped trying to defend the guy. He's a fantastic player, and there's no one I'd rather watch, but I'm never gonna assume he's Mr. Virtue off the court.

I never read any news on this. Do you have a link?
m1sterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Frank Foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1sterb
I never read any news on this. Do you have a link?

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/...2.39e8b72.html

Quote:
But for now, Bryant appears back to being a Laker and a good teammate. He claimed to have sent a text message to Bynum, whom he ripped in an infamous 24-second amateur video, from Rome to "just let him know, sorry how that stuff came out."

Bynum said he hadn't spoken to Bryant before Monday.

I wish I had the link to the video, because in it AB made it completely clear that he never got a text message, either.

Last edited by Frank Foley : 02-27-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/...2.39e8b72.html

I wish I had the link to the video, because in it AB made it completely clear that he never got a text message or a phone call.

Yeah, I remember that too... the media kinda let it go, I guess.

Oh well, whats done is done. Thats the part of Kobe I don't particularly care for. I am one who believes strongly in owning up.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: