Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-27-2008, 03:56 AM   #1
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default The Lakers Achilles heel...........

Right now we have a damn good team. Not just on paper...but with the 9 win streak we also have a damn good team on the court even with the current injuries. Yes we don't know just how effective Bynum will be when he comes back...Yes Kobe's finger we all have to HOPE stays ok (so far so good). Yes we have good young players with lots of depth. Yes Gasol has already gelled well with the team and Yes we have P-Jax as our coach.

But one thing are team lacks outside of Kobe and Fisher.....Experience.
Experience of going past the first round of the playoffs. Experience of knowing what it takes to win tough series and games. Experience of playing poorly one game and fighting back the next when the stakes are high. Are young players even Gasol...they have not gone through any of that. Could we be one vet shy of really having what it takes to win a series??? Can Phil...Kobe...and Fish help are young guys out when the playoffs start? How much do you think Experience can be a factor for the outcome of our season?

I know you have to win some to lose some....are the two failures in the past two years enough to learn a lesson in what it takes to win it all?
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
Devientz
High school junior varsity star

Devientz has decent reputation
Default Re: The Lakers Achilles heel...........

Quote:
Right now we have a damn good team. Not just on paper...but with the 9 win streak we also have a damn good team on the court even with the current injuries. Yes we don't know just how effective Bynum will be when he comes back...Yes Kobe's finger we all have to HOPE stays ok (so far so good). Yes we have good young players with lots of depth. Yes Gasol has already gelled well with the team and Yes we have P-Jax as our coach.

But one thing are team lacks outside of Kobe and Fisher.....Experience.
Experience of going past the first round of the playoffs. Experience of knowing what it takes to win tough series and games. Experience of playing poorly one game and fighting back the next when the stakes are high. Are young players even Gasol...they have not gone through any of that. Could we be one vet shy of really having what it takes to win a series??? Can Phil...Kobe...and Fish help are young guys out when the playoffs start? How much do you think Experience can be a factor for the outcome of our season?

I know you have to win some to lose some....are the two failures in the past two years enough to learn a lesson in what it takes to win it all?

This has actually been my biggest concern as well... and its the one thing that has been keeping me from getting my hopes up of going all the way this year.

I do think that this team is ready though. I think the experience gained over the last couple years is really starting to show...Were no longer giving away games to bad teams, and we're winning close games[which is something that didnt happen before this year]. Were not really THAT inexperienced anymore with Kobe, Fisher and Odom, and then the younger guys playing major roles in the playoffs over the last couple years in some pretty competitive series against a top tier team.

Another good sign is that players like Farmar Bynum and sasha have stepped up their game to another level, and with Phil putting trust in them when the games on the line, theyre coming through. You saw that from Farmar tonight, and also Sasha [not losing confidence when his shot wasnt falling and ending up hitting big shots in crunch time]

Also If you listen to Kobes interviews before and after games, hes constantly talking about how hes drilling the young guys about believing and "knowing we can win" I really think Kobe Phil and Fish are trying to pound it into their heads and they seem to be responding.

So anyways, I think that this team even though were young, will have the mental toughness to go all the way. Most the other teams are young as well too...except the Spurs and Pistons which are the two teams I worry about. I dont think we need to add another veteran, if worse comes to worse, we get eliminated this year...and a year from now, theres no doubt in my mind this team will be 100% in championship mode

Last edited by Devientz : 02-27-2008 at 04:58 AM.
Devientz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
GoldMedallist
Great young streetballer

GoldMedallist has an OK reputation so far

Ehm... Gasol inexperienced?

He has been in 2 playoff serires against much better team than Memphis, he has won a World Champinoship (MVP) and been in 3 European cup finals... sorry, butr I don't think at all Gasol is unexperienced.

And with Kobe, Fisher, Odom... no, I don't really think that will be a problem.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I agree with this assessment. The Lakers are "green" overall, and it takes a special kind of mentality to survive the playoffs on route to the nba title. That mentality comes with experience most of the time. I think the Lakers can work past that. This is what I think PJax prepares his team for all season. The mental aspects of the game.

Kobe and D Fish have plenty of experience getting to the dance, so lets hope that they can bring the rest of the team with them. While Pau has some playoff experience, he really has never won in a playoff series, so I consider him a "rookie" in that area.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
Kobe=MVP07`
Local High School Star

Kobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I agree with this assessment. The Lakers are "green" overall, and it takes a special kind of mentality to survive the playoffs on route to the nba title. That mentality comes with experience most of the time. I think the Lakers can work past that. This is what I think PJax prepares his team for all season. The mental aspects of the game.

Kobe and D Fish have plenty of experience getting to the dance, so lets hope that they can bring the rest of the team with them. While Pau has some playoff experience, he really has never won in a playoff series, so I consider him a "rookie" in that area.

like it was mentioned above gasol is considered the best pf in the world.. obviously he is no tim duncan. But i am speaking in terms of international play, he was the guy that brought his spain team to the gold and recieved mvp honors, he willed his team to the wins this may be a new and different challenge but he still know what it is like to win

and lamar got into the 2nd round in his last yr in miami as the semi-first option...

luke has been to the finals and has that amazing game 2 burst

farmar and sasha yes unexpereinced as a whole, however they played majore minute vs the suns the past season and you can see the confidence in sasha

kobe and fish..........

really the only player you can talk about is bynum [ariza, vlad]

he is very young barely played till this season and has to come back to form, hopefuly the team helps carry him.. and we will be all right

Kobe=MVP07` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
lakers4ever
Decent playground baller

lakers4ever has an OK reputation so far

I like this team a lot. So it is hard for me to come up with any negative assessments. There is some creedence to what the OP says as far as experience. But I have to agree that Gasol has been through the wars of international play and should be included as an experienced player along with Kobe, Fish and Odom. Hey, that is 4 out of the 5 starters. Now, I don't really think it is a problem on further introspection.
lakers4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Local High School Star

211269 has an OK reputation so far

I have said it before and I will say it again, experienced is overrated. Would you rather have talent or experience? The GSW last year were very inexperienced and beat the #1 seed Dallas Mavericks who were filled with vets and experience. The young and inexperienced NY Giants just beat the 3 time champion and one of the best teams in history in the Superbowl. I could go on. Experience plays a role but talent a bigger one. You could have the most experience in the world , but if you dont have a team that can perform, it wont matter.
211269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

I just hope that when bynum return he dosent hurt the chemistry. Like a few years back when webber returned to the kings. They were the top team then he came back and slowed everything down for them. Bynum is awesome. But hopefully him and pau mesh well. Bynum might not like sharing the touches like kobe does.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Lakers13
Reload Time

Lakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I just hope that when bynum return he dosent hurt the chemistry. Like a few years back when webber returned to the kings. They were the top team then he came back and slowed everything down for them. Bynum is awesome. But hopefully him and pau mesh well. Bynum might not like sharing the touches like kobe does.

I dont see that happening. Bynum is needed badly right now, his defense and rebounding skills are sorely missed. Gasol will have a boner playing with this guy, he'll make it much easier for him, people would be crazy to double him at that point.
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I have another worry and the worry is, what the heck is wrong with Fisher.

He can't hit layups, can't defend, and can't his his outside shots right now. He almost lost us the game against portland.

Other than that, our guys are experienced enough to know how not to lose and that will be a factor that will hopefully get us to the wcf.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I have another worry and the worry is, what the heck is wrong with Fisher.

He can't hit layups, can't defend, and can't his his outside shots right now. He almost lost us the game against portland.

Other than that, our guys are experienced enough to know how not to lose and that will be a factor that will hopefully get us to the wcf.

lakerfreak, you know your my boy, but this has to stop haha. hes having a bad stretch, every player goes through it.

these constant complaints about players (im not talking about solely you), i dont get them..we're #1 in the West on an amazing run right now and i see a lot of nitpicking from some laker fans. its like everyone on our roster is supposed to be an all star every single night.

-----

back to OP, I think Kobe, Fish, Phil and to an extent Odom (advanced to 2nd round after winning a game 7 before) should be enough. Our young guys will follow.

Last edited by hotsizzle : 02-27-2008 at 04:23 PM.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211269
I have said it before and I will say it again, experienced is overrated. Would you rather have talent or experience? The GSW last year were very inexperienced and beat the #1 seed Dallas Mavericks who were filled with vets and experience. The young and inexperienced NY Giants just beat the 3 time champion and one of the best teams in history in the Super bowl. I could go on. Experience plays a role but talent a bigger one. You could have the most experience in the world , but if you don't have a team that can perform, it wont matter.

Experience makes a huge difference, of course you have to have talent too but don't most teams in the playoffs? Look at the past 8 years or so, it was dominated by the Spurs and Lakers, both talented and experienced teams. How many inexperienced teams have won a NBA championship? Not very many. It's not to say it can't happen, it's just not that common.

Golden State may have upset the Mavs, but they didn't win a championship.

Remember Kobe early in his career throwing up air balls in crunch time against Utah in the playoffs? That was lack of experience. They got sent home.

The Lakers were a very good team in the Kobe/Shaq era, but it still took them 4 years before they won their first championship.

We have important contributers that have never played these roles in the playoffs: Sasha, Farmar, Turiaf, Ariza, and Bynum. We have no idea how they are going to play under that kind of pressure and that kind of environment. Pau has never won a series, but at least he's been to the post season giving major minutes. We know that Kobe and DFish with be fine, other than that, it's hard to say.

This isn't to say the Lakers can't win a championship and are not a championship caliber team. Experience gives a team an advantage and the Lakers have a some in Kobe and Dfish. They just don't have as much experience as you'd like.

Most of this group has been together for 3 years now, so hopefully they are ready to make the next step as a team.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #13
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
these constant complaints about players (im not talking about solely you), i dont get them..we're #1 in the West on an amazing run right now and i see a lot of nitpicking from some laker fans. its like everyone on our roster is supposed to be an all star every single night.
I said the same thing in the walton thread

we are number 1 top of the west on a 9 game streak and guys are complaining...lol

i jumped into the game thread and folks are whining about lukes turnovers and stuff, i'm thinking o my lukes having a rough night..i check the box score and he's got 1 turnover...lol

Last edited by gts : 02-27-2008 at 05:58 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 PM   #14
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Im not bashing fish, Im just worried because hes been in that slump for a while and he seems to have developed an attitude problem while going through it.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: