Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Golden State Warriors Forum

Golden State Warriors Forum Golden State Warriors message board - warriors fan forum

Old 03-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

BayAreaSportz has an OK reputation so far
Default How Much is Monta Worth?

I know a lot of fans absolutely love this guy and although I share an affection for him, I'm not really keen on making him a max player just yet. If the Warriors can get hiim to sign a 3 year deal for about $28M, then I'm all for it. That should give him a starting salary of about $8M in his first year which is a big increase from the $770K he's making now. Jeff Fried, his agent, will be a tough negotiator as his only other client is Steve Francis. So asking for the max maybe a realistic situation. I'm not sold on Ellis being an All-Star at the 2 guard spot since he can't defend most 2 guards in the league. He's just too small and lacks strength. If he had proved that he can play the point guard position, the I'd say sign him to the max and let Baron walk, but thats not the case. Here are some reasons why they shouldn't re-sign Ellis:

1. Baron is set for an extension and though it won't be a raise from his current $17M contract, I can see him getting a 5 year deal for about $70M to stay with this team. That would give him about $12M in his first year of the extension and ends at $17M again. Davis is the only must sign for the Warriors because this team goes and he goes. He's proven that he could be healthy and is having a great season thus far.

2. Biedrins is up to be re-signed as well and to avoid a bidding war, the Warriors may just have to sign him for pretty nice sized deal. I'm not a huge Biedrins fan, but 7 footers like him don't come around too often. He's still only 22 years old and would seek a contract somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 for $48M. 7 footers are a hotter commodity than combo guards which is why you see guys like Ellis, Arenas, Douby, Louis Williams, and Head get picked in the latter half of the first round or in the second rounds. And you have O'Bryant go 9th overall.

3. Just those two re-signings alone added to Jackson, Harrington, and other contracts, puts them well above the cap and near the luxury tax threshold in 2009. Remember they traded away Jason Richardson just to avoid the luxury tax. In 2009, they would of added 2 first round pick salaries as well and thats when they'll really be in cap hell. Unless this team gets bought by Larry Ellison, they'll do whatever they can to stay out of the luxury tax and that could even mean trading away their best player.

4. If they were to spend $13M on a extension for Ellis, I'd much rather spend that money on a big which is what this team needs more. Would you rather have a maxed out combo guard who can't guard players at the position he's playing or to a big that can help this team rebound and block shots?

From a fan's standpoint, it would be hard to swallow the fact of letting Ellis walk or work out some kind of sign and trade deal. This was written from a business stand point and the reality is, the NBA is first and foremost a business. But something would have to give and its going to be either Davis, Ellis, or Biedrins. Take your pick.
BayAreaSportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How Much is Monta Worth?

he's the franchise man id try to lock him up for as long as possible for about 7-8 million a year (and thats a bargain)
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
he's the franchise man id try to lock him up for as long as possible for about 7-8 million a year (and thats a bargain)

If the Warriors can re-sign him for 7-8 million, then I'm all for it, though that doesn't make him the franchise player. Memphis, who has $12M in cap space this Summer, will make a hard and serious run at Ellis which means they could be offering Ellis $10M a year and the full $12M if needed. The good news is, that the Warriors hold Monta's bird rights with the new "Gilbert Arenas Rule" and the signing will not count towards the cap until 2009, but do you really want to give Ellis $13M a year?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool

I don't understand why warriors fans want to see their team get a "big" and start playing basketball like every other team out there.

If the warriors are your favorite team its most likely becuase you enjoy watching their fast-paced style. So why would you want them to change that?

Monta Ellis is my favorite player and I hope he stays with the warriors and I also hope that golden state never changes their style of play. The warriors are actually a unique team, we as fans should be happy about that, not thinking about how they should change.
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
I don't understand why warriors fans want to see their team get a "big" and start playing basketball like every other team out there.

If the warriors are your favorite team its most likely becuase you enjoy watching their fast-paced style. So why would you want them to change that?

Monta Ellis is my favorite player and I hope he stays with the warriors and I also hope that golden state never changes their style of play. The warriors are actually a unique team, we as fans should be happy about that, not thinking about how they should change.

First off, I'm a die-hard fan and have been since the 80s as well as a season ticket holder. I've been through the good with RUN TMC and the bad with Sprewell choking out PJ. Ultimately, as a fan, I want to see this team compete for a championship and they only way they're going to do that is to go big, especially out West. There's no one on this team to contain the likes of Duncan or Stoudemire for that matter, as we all saw a few nights ago. D'Antoi knew that couldn't compete with small ball and Kerr made a bold move to bring Shaq. Nellie is the master of small ball, but how many rings does Nellie have in his extensive coaching career? NONE. They'll need a big thats athletic and could compete. That big may or may not be Brandan Wright.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
enayes
Decent college freshman

enayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat coolenayes is considered somewhat cool

I understand that the utimate goal is of course a championship
But there are more important things than winning in the NBA
Especially for Golden State
Old 03-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
I understand that the utimate goal is of course a championship
But there are more important things than winning in the NBA
Especially for Golden State

If the Warriors are content on just making the playoffs and nothing else in the near future, then they should re-sign Ellis to the max deal. But like I said, I want to see them get a championship before my time is over. Doesn't have to be a big front court player, just guys that can rebound and defend.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
enayes
Decent college freshman

thats true
I just hope they can add size and still run
and not turn into the suns with shaQ
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'd keep Monta over Baron and Beidrens if it came down to it. Kid is the future!!!
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yea the guy is a rare talent. Good midrnge game and excellent finishing game. One of the quickest in the league. I see him getting a contract around 50-55mil over 6 years. Ben gordon got offered that and well, Monta is A LOT better
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #11
Captainjack45
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Captainjack45 has an OK reputation so far

I think he'd be well worth the price tag in the long run.
Captainjack45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #12
Captainjack45
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Captainjack45 has an OK reputation so far

I think he's worth whatever he can get, he will only gain more worth with time.
Captainjack45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

Monta Ellis can score but can he play D? Can he play point guard?
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #14
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If he could play point, Monta's value would go through the roof. He is very undersized for a SG. This is fine when you have Baron as your PG, since he is a beast and can probably guard any SG in the NBA, but his defense leaves much to be desired, and this will be easily exploited whenever he is paired up with a small point guard.

Offensively, Monta is just purely insanely good though, and combined with Baron, there is no doubt in my mind that they are the best backcourt in the entire NBA.

Since it will probably be impossible to keep both Baron and Monta, I think the decision really depends on Monta's ability to play point. If he shows he can distribute and run the offense as well as Baron, we should keep him and trade Baron. Baron is one of the top 5 PG's in the NBA, and we could probably bring trade him for a great youngish big man. If Monta shows that he cannot play the point, that he will forever be an explosive SG, he is not worth keeping. Between Pietrus, Watson and Azabuke we have several guys who fit great at SG. Belinelli might make a great SG too (I have not seen him play much). Either way, the warriors need to ditch a guard or two and pick up a good big man.

And Brendan needs to put on some weight and get some more minutes.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life

Damn right, he's close to averaging 20 ppg this yr. He's like Kevin Martin but a lot better.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: