Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default PG play

Lakers have a long history of getting smoked by quality PGs.
Remember Sleepy Floyd?
More recently...Bibby...and then Tony Parker...and the last few games:

Rafer Alston: 31 pts, 5 assists
Chris Paul: 27 pts, 17 assists
TJ Ford: 28 pts, 5 assists
Beno Udrih: 25 pts, 10 assists

Those are CAREER numbers for each of them.

How about a little perimeter defense, fellas? And I don't wanna hear anything about, "Oh, our shot blockers are injured, so...".

Last edited by bleedinpurpleTwo : 03-17-2008 at 03:45 PM.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Droth24
Gonna kick cancers ass

Droth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroth24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: PG play

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
Lakers have a long history of getting smoked my quality PGs.
Remember Sleepy Floyd?
More recently...Bibby...and then Tony Parker...and the last few games:

Rafer Alston: 31 pts, 5 assists
Chris Paul: 27 pts, 17 assists
TJ Ford: 28 pts, 5 assists
Beno Udrih: 25 pts, 10 assists

Those are CAREER numbers for each of them.

How about a little perimeter defense, fellas? And I don't wanna hear anything about, "Oh, our shot blockers are injured, so...".
yeah i agree i think our pgs have to be more agressive on defense in order for us to be a championship team
Droth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Emile
National High School Star

Emile is a pretty well-respected posterEmile is a pretty well-respected posterEmile is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

Yeah well..but they are. :)

It's not a big deal IMO. It's just the way things are. Defense for one is a team effort and we do have the most important ingredient which is as you said yourself, the art of shotblocking. In fact, we haven't even seen that most important aspect of defense actually being utilized to it's full potential since Pau and Bynum still haven't played a game together.

As for getting smoked by PG's, especially now, well...honestly, who expected Fisher to bring some defense? We all knew he wasn't exactly Godsent for his defense. It's a flaw of his and Farmar still has a lot to learn.

All in all, I'm not too worried. Once shotblockers are back, I dare those guys to just be rude enough to just try getting the half of what they were getting before.

I guess what you can say is that in the off season we could go for a defensive 3rd string PG but that's all there is, the reality of the situation is that rules favor PG's, our shotblockers are out and our PG's aren't strong defenders. So really, you shouldn't be losing sleep over it IMO.
Emile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile
..., who expected Fisher to bring some defense? We all knew he wasn't exactly Godsent for his defense. It's a flaw of his and Farmar still has a lot to learn.

Fisher IS EXPECTED to bring some defense. His entire career is based on being a great defender. Other than making the occasional 3-pointer, he HAS NO OTHER PURPOSE (other than being a "glue" guy).

If you are going to lose sleep over ANYTHING, you should lose sleep over poor poor defense.... cause we ain't gonna win squat until we improve defense.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nice post.

I totally agree on the perimeter defense... While watching the last few games, I noticed many one one on one situations in which I was noticing both D Fish and Farmar's footing off, often catching them selves on an off-step trying to react to the PG. I am not sure how you teach that footing on any short order if ever, but unless you have really good help defense, you are gonna get smoked which is what is happening to the Lakers.

While this is not the only issue with the Lakers defense, I think it is at or near the top. If you can't stop the long shot or the entry, you are exposing the team to be abused by your opponent.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Fisher IS EXPECTED to bring some defense. His entire career is based on being a great defender. Other than making the occasional 3-pointer, he HAS NO OTHER PURPOSE (other than being a "glue" guy).

If you are going to lose sleep over ANYTHING, you should lose sleep over poor poor defense.... cause we ain't gonna win squat until we improve defense.

Fisher was brought to be a leader and for this reason he's the captain.

Last year when OneWay (:)) and I argued that Fisher's defense wouldn't be a huge upgrade over Smush's D, our reasoning was his old age and he never really was that great of a defender even when he was on our team in the past.

His only defense was the occasional pick-pocket, fastbreak layup act. He's always given jump shooters a little extra space to shoot than necessary and now he's getting smoked by PG's on a daily basis.

Now we have Farmar looking as retarded as he's ever been. How does this problem get solved? I have no clue but perhaps other guys that do play defense (Bynum, Ariza) would set a great example for them and thats why we need them to return. It wasn't just their presence but the fact that their playing defense was contagious.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I had an issue against the rockets. Farmar consistently went behind the screens, even when Rafer was on fire. I admit, Rafer could have been just hot that night, but when a guy is shooting like that, you fight through those screens.

But I also have another thought on this. Gasol is a decent defender, but he is not a great help defender IMO. That is where I think Bynum has been truly effective for us. As a secondary defender and a shot blocking threat in the paint. Seems like pgs get in the lane at will. It is the pgs fault, but there always needs to be a reliable second line of defense, which Bynum is much better at than Gasol. I think its our collective defense that is at fault.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Look what happened in tonights game against Dallas.
In the 1st half, excellent perimeter D was played, Lakers take 20 pt lead.
In 2nd half, Kobe went to bench, Jason Terry went on a scoring tear.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #9
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Look what happened in tonights game against Dallas.
In the 1st half, excellent perimeter D was played, Lakers take 20 pt lead.
In 2nd half, Kobe went to bench, Jason Terry went on a scoring tear.

Very nice example! Painfully true!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Its no coincidence that we're getting lit up this much by PG with our big men out though. Especialy without Bynum, he is the factor here; when theres an intimidating shotblocking presence down in the paint, it makes for better perimeter defense.

Yes we need some work there right now but I think we'll be fine in the long run with our twin towers clogging up the lane on defense.

But I'd like to see Farmar focus on that part of the game in the offseason, because hes very capable of being a good defender.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #11
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Very nice example! Painfully true!

I think you are the only one who reads my posts.
I suppose expecting fathers have nothing better to do.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
SoCalMike

Quote:
I think you are the only one who reads my posts.
I suppose expecting fathers have nothing better to do.

Woah, does that mean that Hotsizzle is expecting too???

Old 03-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

I wouldnt be surprised loool

(jk sizzle master)
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #14
Lakers13
Reload Time

Lakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Thats a foul thing to say to a guy who is single
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
Erathia
Local High School Star

Erathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this board

Having our bigs out does effect the perimeter defense more than just intimidation factor. Someone mentioned Farmar going under screens during the Rockets game, yet had he fought throw the screens that would have left Alston open for layup after layup. Bynum/Gasol also allow perimeter players to fight throw screens and not worry about giving up layups. This is not a knock on Turiaf! Turiaf is a great help defender and we have watched him pile up many blocks, but he doesn't bring the same type of presence as Bynum or Gasol down low.

Edit: Also there were a few shots that Alston hit that were extremely contested. Alston was just on fire and couldn't miss.
Erathia is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: