Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Do guys still play "tips" ?

I've never posted in this forum before. I don't often start threads at all, there are always plenty of topics to choose from.

But another thread made me remember when I was in high school, and we used to have huge games of 21 and "tips" with 10-15 guys going.

Do kids still play "tips" these days? How about 21? (very similar games anyways)

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
lil_watz
I brick open layups

lil_watz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do guys still play "tips" ?

I still play it every once in a while with some buddies when we have odd numbers. While in high school my brother, dad, and family friend would play to 41. It took forever but was a blast.
lil_watz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
theparade
I hit open layups

theparade has an OK reputation so far

Hey, I'm in Grade 8, 14 so I guess I fit your definition.
All people here just play 3 on 3, even teams. Next most common is 21. What is 'tips'? Never played it before.
theparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

people still play 21

i was actually overseas a few years ago and dudes outta nowhere started playing 21 that actually took me by surprise
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:42 AM   #5
Zak

Zak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
people still play 21

i was actually overseas a few years ago and dudes outta nowhere started playing 21 that actually took me by surprise

They play 21 here in Saudi Arabia.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

We play 21 with 4 or 5. But it's mainly 2 on 2 or 3 on 3.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
determined2win
I hit open layups

determined2win has an OK reputation so far

me and my friends play horse and 21 usually unless we have like 8-10 people then we play 4v4/5v5 but we never play tips :P
determined2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theparade
Hey, I'm in Grade 8, 14 so I guess I fit your definition.
All people here just play 3 on 3, even teams. Next most common is 21. What is 'tips'? Never played it before.

Well, when I grew up, it was like this:

If you played 21, it was pretty much every man for himself, you would shoot free throws to see who go the ball first. If you made a shot, you got three free throws. If you made them all, you got the ball back. You could potentially shut everyone out if you just kept making all your shots. You played to 21 (thus the name), but you had to win by 2, and you had to make a free throw at the end of the game.

The difference with tips, was that if someone shot the ball and missed, and you were able to get a put back without touching the ground off of their shot (a tip-in, which is why we called it "tips"), then you automatically set their score back to 0.

Games could last for hours and hours if you kept 'tipping' people, because they would go back to 0.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Murdashow
I brick open layups

Murdashow has an OK reputation so far

Where I live we play 21 like this:

One guy breaks(misses a shot) to start the game. Sometimes we play 2's and 3's, others just 2's. If you make a shot you shoot 3pters which are worth 1pt. If you make 3 in a row somebody checks it up and you try to score again.
You have to score EXACTLY 21 to win. If you have 18 and make a 2pter, you have to make it from 10ft behind the line. If you miss on that shot you go back to 15 and keep playing til you get 21.

And sometimes we play tips, other times not. If somebody tips in a missed shot with two hands you lose 2pts, and if they tip it in with one hand it is worth 5. A game with a lot of tall people can take forever.

I used to play 21 all the time. WE used it as a warm up game before playing 2vs2,3vs3, etc.
Murdashow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #10
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Most people play tips everywhere in the world. My cousin went to the Dominican Republic and he said they had full on 21 tournaments there. He of course tried to play and got owned...
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
ILballa
Hemp Coach

ILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation hereILballa has a near all-star reputation here

I sometimes play 21. I don't play tips.
ILballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
Illosophee
I airball my layups

Illosophee has an OK reputation so far

My brother, friend, and I have been playing 21 for the past few days at a local park. We play it whenever the park is basically empty and there isn't anyone to play 3-vs-3 against.

Our "21" is different from some of you guy's version:

One of us shoots a freethrow. If that person makes it, he gets 2-pts. and the ball as the first possession. Only the first freethrow of the game is worth 2-pts. Everything else is worth 1-pt and shots from behind the arc are worth 2-pts.
If a person misses a shot and another person tips it in, the player who missed the shot loses all of his points, unless he has over 15 points. If the player has over 15 points, his point count is dropped back down to 15 and the next tip drops his points down to 0.
When a player has 20 points, he must shoot a three-pointer to win the game. If he misses the three-pointer, his point count drops to 15 again.

Sometimes, our games last extremely long because we get competitive, play defense, double-team eachother, etc. Other times, they last mere minutes because we don't feel like competing for the ball.

So, basically, to answer the question:
If we want to play for a long time, we play with tips. If we don't feel like making the game last up to 20 minutes at a time, we play without any tips.
Illosophee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
Murdashow
I brick open layups

Murdashow has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illosophee
My brother, friend, and I have been playing 21 for the past few days at a local park. We play it whenever the park is basically empty and there isn't anyone to play 3-vs-3 against.

Our "21" is different from some of you guy's version:

One of us shoots a freethrow. If that person makes it, he gets 2-pts. and the ball as the first possession. Only the first freethrow of the game is worth 2-pts. Everything else is worth 1-pt and shots from behind the arc are worth 2-pts.
If a person misses a shot and another person tips it in, the player who missed the shot loses all of his points, unless he has over 15 points. If the player has over 15 points, his point count is dropped back down to 15 and the next tip drops his points down to 0.
When a player has 20 points, he must shoot a three-pointer to win the game. If he misses the three-pointer, his point count drops to 15 again.

Sometimes, our games last extremely long because we get competitive, play defense, double-team eachother, etc. Other times, they last mere minutes because we don't feel like competing for the ball.

So, basically, to answer the question:
If we want to play for a long time, we play with tips. If we don't feel like making the game last up to 20 minutes at a time, we play without any tips.

how old are you?
Murdashow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #14
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

nobody plays 21 when you have to get everyone out of the game?

the way we play is, you get to 21 then you have to 'break ice' from the top of the key

after you break ice, you have to play 1-on-1 with everyone in the game and score on them to get them out of the game
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
Illosophee
I airball my layups

Illosophee has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdashow
how old are you?

18 now. I've been on spring break this entire week and all of next week. Since I have had nothing to do for the past week, I've been playing basketball with my one year younger brother and my friend at a local park.
Why does my age matter, anyway? Is it childish for me to play 21?
Illosophee is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: