Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 03-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Default NIT

Anyone else been following it lately? I've watched most of the games on ESPN2 last night and tonight, and though it's not up to par with the NCAA Tournament, there are still some good teams to watch and I've been enjoying it lately. SIU-ASU should be a good matchup tomorrow, I've watched both of their first round games and it will be a good game. SIU has good pressure defense and I think they could cause problems for Arizona State, especially if Matt Shaw can continue to shoot well.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
monthh
Good High School Starter

Default Re: NIT

It is always nice to catch a few of these games, but it just doesn't have the same excitement. It is kind of like the woman's NCAA tournament. If you catch some games that is great, but it isn't can't miss.

I'm watching the New Mexico/Cal game right now, and these are two teams that if you picked the best 65 teams they are in, and would give a top seed a better run than Belmont or CS-Fullerton.

And I know this isn't the draft forum, but this game also has some good pro prospects. I have always like Giddens on the court, but he has had too many issues off the court. I don't see why a team wouldn't give him a shot in the 2nd round. Ryan Anderson is probably the best prospect, but he has some things to work on. In another year I think he is solidly in the 1st round. Hardin is also a guy to look for in this draft, probably in the 2nd round. He can run, rebound, and defend. Any team would love to bring him off the bench.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
It is always nice to catch a few of these games, but it just doesn't have the same excitement. It is kind of like the woman's NCAA tournament. If you catch some games that is great, but it isn't can't miss.

I'm watching the New Mexico/Cal game right now, and these are two teams that if you picked the best 65 teams they are in, and would give a top seed a better run than Belmont or CS-Fullerton.

And I know this isn't the draft forum, but this game also has some good pro prospects. I have always like Giddens on the court, but he has had too many issues off the court. I don't see why a team wouldn't give him a shot in the 2nd round. Ryan Anderson is probably the best prospect, but he has some things to work on. In another year I think he is solidly in the 1st round. Hardin is also a guy to look for in this draft, probably in the 2nd round. He can run, rebound, and defend. Any team would love to bring him off the bench.

From what I heard in the game, Giddens has matured a bit and has developed into a good leader. He's in a bad conference, but 10 rpg is still impressive. 2nd round would probably be a good fit, but how much potential do you see? His shooting form seemed a little weird to me also.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

All of that is true about Hardin but people around here always expected more from him because he has so much natural ability. He has strenght that he should be able to score more than he does and that has been a knock on him.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:57 AM   #5
GoStanford
Go Sharks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulsuvtut27
All of that is true about Hardin but people around here always expected more from him because he has so much natural ability. He has strenght that he should be able to score more than he does and that has been a knock on him.

This guy knows his stuff, i bet he's a stanford fan.
GoStanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:15 AM   #6
baseketball4life
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulsuvtut27
co-sign all day
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:59 AM   #7
monthh
Good High School Starter

I was talking about in the NBA.

In college, he really just never developed the way he should have. I thought he was going to have a breakout year this season after a strong year last season, but maybe the injury held him back some. But with his size and length and stregth he should be able to muscle himself inside and get more easy hoops on the college level. In the NBA his offensive game will not even register his rookie year.

Can someone also tell me what happened to Wilkes and Robertson from last years team? I was thinking those two with Anderson and Hardin would make this team into a contender. They would have 4 or 5 juniors and seniors leading the team. Christopher and Randle stepped up this year, but they just didn't have enough depth without those two.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Jackass18
The Iron Price

I'm watching due to Maryland and Nebraska being in it. Unfortunately, Syracuse isn't a good match up for us.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #9
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

I watched Arizona State-Southern Illinois last night. I really thought that Southern Illinois' pressure defense could have caused problems for ASU, but it wasn't enough. Jeff Pendergraph finished with double-digits in both scoring and rebounding, and also had 8 blocked shots. James Harden also finished close to a triple double.

Speaking of triple doubles, kudos to Nick Calathes of Florida, who just recorded one tonight (11 points, 13 rebounds, 11 assists) for the first time in his college career in a 28 point win over Creighton in the second round of the NIT.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #10
catzhernandez
Underrated

catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

NIT isn't that boring catz. There are still good teams playing, like ASU, Syracuse, Florida, etc. Sure, it might not have the magnitude of an NCAA Tournament game, but it's not like matching up Sam Houston State and Cal Poly Tech.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 AM   #12
Admiral
Good High School Starter

my lobos lost it again... i really hoped UNM would have made it to the dance this year...too bad they didn't, they might have had a chance to make some noise...
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #13
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
my lobos lost it again... i really hoped UNM would have made it to the dance this year...too bad they didn't, they might have had a chance to make some noise...

Yeah, and Giddens will be gone too. Wonder how you guys will do once Alford gets his own recruits in?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:53 AM   #14
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Although not a good ending, the Maryland/Syracuse game was pretty entertaining.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:27 AM   #15
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

I wish I could have watched the Creighton game, but I don't have ESPN U . Casey Harriman plays for Creighton and he used to go to my high school, so it would have been fun to watch him in the NIT, plus witnessing Calathes's triple double would be cool. Nick's doing a great job for a Freshman, and at his size it's possible he could play PG in the NBA, possibly as a Marko Jaric type like I believe Hippos said in the Draft forum. He'll probably stay and win with Speights next year though, so NBA will have to wait.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: