Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 08-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Trevor Mbakwe (6-8 power forward) oral commitment to Marquette

"Set in the backcourt for the foreseeable future, the Marquette Golden Eagles on Wednesday night took a huge step toward fortifying their frontcourt when they received an oral commitment from highly rated power forward prospect Trevor Mbakwe. Mbakwe, 6-foot-8 and 245 pounds, averaged 24 points and 12 rebounds per game as a junior at Henry Sibley High School in Mendota Heights, Minn., and had been considered one of the nation's top available big men following a strong summer on the AAU circuit." Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

"NCAA champion Florida, Cincinnati, Georgetown, Michigan, Minnesota and Oklahoma all had offered scholarships and had been pressing Mbakwe hard for a commitment over the past few weeks. "They all tried to make a good push at the end, but it was Marquette," said Mbakwe, who visited MU unofficially the first time as a sophomore. "They've been there the longest and I had the best relationship with them. They're in the Big East, which is the best conference, I believe." Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

I have a hard time believing Florida really had a scholarship offer out to Mbakwe, especially with them already having Alex Tyus.

This was a guy I really wanted Illinois to get when he was a sophomore, because he was a man-beast at that age. There was mutual interest at the time (Mbakwe and his mom drove all the way from Minnesota for the Illinois/Wake Forest game), but it cooled on both sides because he didn't really develop while other players started to catch up physically, and the Illinois staff instead decided to target Cole and Tisdale, who aren't as physically developed now but have a way higher ceiling.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good get for a second-tier school like Marquette...he just doesn't look like the future superstar he once did.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: