Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 08-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Default Joe Shipp Is Playing In A Summer League Trying To Come Back To Basketball.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs...910051,00.html

Shipp getting back in shape

UCLA guard, coming off an injury, playing in summer league

By Jeffrey Dransfeldt, jdransfeldt@VenturaCountyStar.com

August 11, 2006

Josh Shipp waited patiently in the hallway next to the gym. Teammates relaxed nearby.

The statistics arrived and Shipp pored over his totals: 25 points, six rebounds, five assists and five steals. Moments earlier, the sophomore UCLA forward let fans see the progress he's made since a painful surgically repaired right hip ended his season in January.

Shipp joined several UCLA players this summer at the Say No Classic, an NCAA-approved summer league at West Los Angeles College. He is playing on a team called Hank's CTS with UCLA teammate Alfred Aboya. Shipp and Oregon State's Marcel Jones have formed a potent scoring combo that's placed Hank's CTS in contention for a league championship.

Single-elimination playoffs started last weekend and Hank's CTS advanced to today's semifinals with the championship game Saturday at 6 p.m. Shipp showed within three possessions last Sunday how close he is to regaining his freshman form when he averaged 9.3 points and 5.2 rebounds. He fed a teammate for an alley-oop dunk, led a fastbreak that culminated with a high flying one-hand dunk and faked a defender while calmly hitting a fade-away 3-pointer.

"It's been good for him and he's working really hard with our training staff with his rehab and he's getting closer and closer to 100 percent," UCLA coach Ben Howland said.

Shipp's hip injury occurred in the summer league last year. He underwent surgery last September and returned to the court on Dec. 29, 2005. In four games, he averaged 11.3 points and 4.8 rebounds before the hip became too painful to continue. He sat and watched UCLA's run through the NCAA Tournament and loss in the championship game to Florida.

"I hear a lot — ¿If I was there, I would have helped a lot,' " Shipp said. "But that is in the past. We are going to have a new year. We are focused on that and we're trying to get back to win a national championship."

Shipp returns to a UCLA squad featuring several familiar faces in Lorenzo Mata, Michael Roll, Darren Collison, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Aboya. All of them played this summer. One notable absence is Jordan Farmar, Shipp's close friend, who left for the NBA and the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I came in with him," Shipp said. "We had a lot of goals to accomplish together and I had to sit out a year — it was tough. But he's on to bigger and better things, so I'm happy for him."

With the 6-foot Collison now manning the point, UCLA teammates say there should be little drop off, in any.

"Darren's a great point guard," Shipp said. "He's good at penetrating and kicking it out so we'll be OK."

Said Aboya: "I don't think anything's going to change. We have the same coach, the same mentality."

When incoming UCLA forward James Keefe looked at various schools, he imagined playing with Farmar.

"When I was being recruited, coach Howland was hyping it up, saying ¿He'll find you on the break,' and all that," Keefe said. "But Darren Collison is on the rise."

The one-on-one nature of the summer league allows college players to work on individual moves within a team setting. A league rule, which allows only two Division I players on the same team, creates mish-mash rosters bypassing college rivalries. Hank's Franchise Boys features USC's Nick Young and Gabe Pruitt, UCLA's Roll and Mata along with Oregon's Bryce Taylor.

"We all know each other — that makes the game more fun," Young said. "After the Say No (Classic) we go back to our home. We go to USC. They go to UCLA. It's like playing against your friend in the backyard."

Young appeared in prime form — driving to the hoop for layups and making a variety of mid-range and long-distance shots.

The summer league has provided a release for Young, who lost teammate Ryan Francis, who was shot and killed May 13 during a trip home to visit his family in Baton Rouge, La.

"He was a good person on the court and off the court," Young said. "He was a hard worker and we just are hoping to take that vibe he had — that energy that he brought us."

More bad news came June 7 when Tim Floyd announced Pruitt was academically ineligible for the fall semester.

"I've got a long life ahead of me," Young said. "I just can't keep dwelling one thing. I've got to keep my mind focused and stay positive."

On the court, the league allows Keefe and other freshmen to play against Division I competition, develop chemistry with future teammates and see the challenges that come with UCLA's achievements last season.

"It's good to compete against other players," Howland said. "Guys are going to go after our guys because they had success this year and so it's good to have to deal with that. I always think it's a positive."

Shipp finds inspiration to help continue building UCLA's budding program.

"It's motivation. It's pressure. It's all that," Shipp said. "But that's why you play basketball. Go out there, have fun and prove people wrong."

http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs...910051,00.html

Last edited by LakerRaider : 08-11-2006 at 07:38 PM. Reason: I made a mistake.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
UCLAlegend32
Local High School Star

this is another big step that will take UCLA back to the promise land and win the national championSHIPP
UCLAlegend32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:00 AM   #3
bruinballer
Decent playground baller

yeah, his whole family is talented in hoops..

we'll miss farmar, but i know that Collison will step it up this year...

with the prince inside sucking up boards like a Hoover, and collison running point with afflalo, shipp and a healthy mata, we're sooooo f'n scary it ain't funny!

I call it now!!

PAC 10 Champs!!

Final Four appearance!

beyond that, we gotta see...

but i have no problem seeing us in the championships, kickin the crap outta anybody they send out way!!
bruinballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

His name is Josh Shipp, not Joe Shipp. Joe Shipp is his older brother who played for Cal. The thread titles a little off. The Shipp family are talented, they have another brother named Jerren Shipp who is currently still at Fairfax HS in Los ANgeles.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: