Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-13-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default What was your reaction when pau arrived laker fans?

I want you all to think for a second and just tell me what you were doing, what your initial reaction was, and the conversations that took place if any.

It was a great moment for all of us and Im sure most of us will give similar reactions...

here is my story
----------------------

(the time is 12 noon and I am still dead asleep)

*phone vibrates*
*I get up grumpy to see who it is*
*SoCalMike leaving a message*

SoCalMike: "Hey lakerfreak this is SoCal, I just wanted to let you know, the lakers made a huge trade this morning......(*I listen while half asleep*).......The lakers got Pau Gasol....."

*lakerfreak calls socal back and leaves voice mail*

"I FREAKIN LOVE YOU RIGHT NOW"

*two minutes later SoCal calls back*

lakerfreak: "hello?"
SoCalMike: "Plenty of love to go around the room bro LOL"
lakerfreak: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

that was basically it...we just talked and discussed the trade and how it would help us.

What is your story?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
hotsizzle
Superstar

Default Re: What was your reaction when pau arrived laker fans?

i dont really think i can put into words my feelings/reactions but Ill try

Night before the trade, I read a rumor on another laker forum, and this memphis blogger who was supposedly very credible said something in his blog along the lines of "...dont be shocked to see Kwame Brown in a grizzlies uniform"...for some reason I went to bed with a 'feeling'

Next day, I wake up around 11 30 am, just flippin thru the tv channel guide, decide to check out espnews like i always do...BAM. [Breaking News: "Pau Gasol traded to Lakers"]. I instantly jump up in the air and onto my couch screaming "oh my God oh my God" then take another second to see who it was for, after that there was a lot of running around, dancing, jumping on top of things. Then i get on ISH and join the party on there I was all over the place for a while
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
GMW
Local High School Star

I was still a bit hungover from the night before, had a bad headache so I wasn't in the best mood. One of my mates came over to my house in the afternoon and he asked if I heard the big news yet. I had no idea what he was talking about, so he told me Lakers acquired Gasol. I was like no way but he insisted it was true. I was so convinced he was making it up and I got really pissed at him for not dropping the lame joke after a while

Then when he wanted to bet for 50 euros I was starting to believe it... checked espn and it was right there. My headache got better instantly
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
LakerDynasty00
High school junior varsity star

One of my best-friends lives in Boston and is a big Celtic/Redsox/Patriots fan. We always talk about sports. During the Kobe saga we would imitate what Bill Simmons and his friend (Yankee fan) would do around the end of the MLB season: Bill (during his podcast) would call his friend and say "are you worried yet?" Basically he was asking how worried on a scale of 1-10 he was about the Yankees missing the playoffs and such.

So, knowing how big of a Laker fan I am, my best buddy would often call/text me throughout the summer and most of the pre-Gasol season with the "are you worried yet" question in regards to Kobe being traded. It was all in good fun, but I would often go to sleep (especially during the summer) with serious fear that I'd wake up and my beloved team would have been sent to the sh*t-hole.

Anyway, I was very vigilant about checking ESPN around the trade deadline for a Laker move, but I expected something on a small scale. Maybe a subtle improvement at the SF/PF position, nothing major though.

Often I'd wake up with a text from my buddy in the East coast (who obviously is living 3 hours ahead of us in the West) about some minor trade or some joke about the Lakers. After several weeks of no-action on the trade front I had started to forget about the whole thing.

Then one early afternoon I wake up to a text "Pau Gasol traded to the Lakers." I didn't believe it. In fact I sent him a text back somewhere along the lines of "you are full of sh*t, go f*ck yourself, you bastard Celtic fan!"

Then he responded, "I'm serious."

I jumped out of bed, ran to my laptop, checked ESPN news, and well after jumping up and down estatically for about 10 minutes straight I was left thinking two things:

1. Holy sh*t we have a real season on our hands.
2. How the f*ck did they take Kwame Brown and give us Pau freaking Gasol?

I smiled for probably the next 72 hours non-stop.
LakerDynasty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #5
Kwame Brown
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mitch told me the night before the raptors game. i went to a bar to drink away the hurt.
Kwame Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #6
Tainted Sword
World Champion WOOOO~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwame Brown
mitch told me the night before the raptors game. i went to a bar to drink away the hurt.
Tainted Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

friend woke me up 7am gave me the news, i went to the bathroom and released.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
LuppersGB
GB Laker Nation

came back from working in the morning, and at about midday logged on to nba.com. sort of looked at it aimlessly like usual and saw thier rotating monster trade news thingy. clicked on it and was like oh sh*t, damn pau for kwame! what a buch of losers. txtd my mate to laugh in his face cos LA gona win the Championship. logged on to ish and joined the party.
LuppersGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I want you all to think for a second and just tell me what you were doing, what your initial reaction was, and the conversations that took place if any.

It was a great moment for all of us and Im sure most of us will give similar reactions...

here is my story
----------------------

(the time is 12 noon and I am still dead asleep)

*phone vibrates*
*I get up grumpy to see who it is*
*SoCalMike leaving a message*

SoCalMike: "Hey lakerfreak this is SoCal, I just wanted to let you know, the lakers made a huge trade this morning......(*I listen while half asleep*).......The lakers got Pau Gasol....."

*lakerfreak calls socal back and leaves voice mail*

"I FREAKIN LOVE YOU RIGHT NOW"

*two minutes later SoCal calls back*

lakerfreak: "hello?"
SoCalMike: "Plenty of love to go around the room bro LOL"
lakerfreak: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

that was basically it...we just talked and discussed the trade and how it would help us.

What is your story?

Dude, great recollection... dang, that was an exciting time... we were both going crazy with excitement!!!!!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
ZeN

I remember being at work and I was given an easy assignment, which just has me sitting all day, and having nothing much to do. I had my phone hooked up to its charger and was roaming the net continually. I usually spend my off time on ISH and recall spending a good while just reading threads about the awfulness that is Kwame. Many were still making fun because of his latest blunderss... Lunch time rolls around so Im walking toward the LAX deli. (since I work in LAX...) and as I enter the deli, Im still on my phone and I log on to the front page of ISH rumors, and I was stunned. Gasol traded to Lakers. I could not believe it, all this time I was yearning that my favorite player be traded to Lakers...and for a moment... it felt like a joke, like it could not have happened. When I realized it was a trade for Kwame and JCrit, I would not stop smiling. The customers in the deli were looking at me as if I were loony. I order my food but continued to read the news on it. I texed all my friends and proceeded to force feed the food I had just purchased...because I was so full of joy, that I had lost my hunger.

I just could not think of enough people to text with this great news... I wanted everyone to be as giddy about the trade as I turned out to be
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
Local High School Star

You see the Garnet/Celtics commercial with the lame song and the people finding out? Kinda like that.
211269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
ZeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211269
You see the Garnet/Celtics commercial with the lame song and the people finding out? Kinda like that.

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I just could not think of enough people to text with this great news... I wanted everyone to be as giddy about the trade as I turned out to be

Nice... I did the same thing too... I was texting everyone I could think of that was a Laker fan... that was, after my conversation with Lakerfreak.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
bladefd
Good college starter

Interesting question. Basically, I turned on ESPN and I saw Pau Gasol got traded for Kwame and Crittenton. My first reaction was loud laughter. I was laughing loudly like a mad man for 10 minutes straight.

Last edited by bladefd : 04-13-2008 at 01:48 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
gts
Sons of Antartica

my wife and i were in the car, i heard it on the radio...i was happy, she was happy i was happy... the birds twittered, the sun came out from behind the clouds and three racoons in the back seat sang "i love LA"
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: