Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 04-16-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Default Is it time to add a round?

They went to 2 rounds in I believe 89. Now that the league has more teams than ever, is it time to move it to three rounds? There's the D-League now for developing players, there's more international draftees than ever.

I'm a bit torn. It's my understanding that they originally went to just two rounds so that undrafted players had the ability to try out with any team in the league instead of only being able to play for whomever owned their rights. But they also went to two from I think 5 rounds, which I would agree is too many. But I think three is about right.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

Default Re: Is it time to add a round?

no

you cant do that because it would limit the opportunity for those 2nd and 3rd rd picks-

with all of the gauranteed contracts in the nba, less than half the time are second round picks even allowed to try out for the 14- why let teams controll all the rest of these prospects, as oposed to letting them control their path to the league
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
no

you cant do that because it would limit the opportunity for those 2nd and 3rd rd picks-

with all of the gauranteed contracts in the nba, less than half the time are second round picks even allowed to try out for the 14- why let teams controll all the rest of these prospects, as oposed to letting them control their path to the league
Nice answer, I was originally on the OP's side, but you make great sense.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
disco
Great young streetballer

I really love the draft as an event and I really do care who is the 59th pick etc, but I think the best thing to do could be to scrap the 2nd round too. As was pointed out, less than half 2nd rounders get a chance to try out for the team that picked them. I say: make your pick on the first round and let the others fight freely for the remaining roster spots.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: