Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #1
High Potential
Best poster ever

Default Is it safe to call Tyrus Thomas a bust?

He is undersized and shown little improvement in his second year in the league. You guys gave up Aldridge, who has turned into a stud and isn't undersized, for him. Thomas has shown little skill so far in the league. Do you Bulls fans like Thomas and want him on your team for years to come? At his current rate, what kind of player do you think he can become? What do you project his prime stats to be? I'm sorry but to me, he doesn't seem that impressive, especially given the fact that you guys gave up Aldridge for him. I mean Aldridge would be the perfect fit for your team, a young PF with back to the basket game and a nice jumper. Anyways, what do you think of Thomas?
High Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Default Re: Is it safe to call Tyrus Thomas a bust?

Yeah your not a bust when your 21, have never received playing time on a constant or regular basis, and you are still a kid mentally. He is still far from a bust yet, as disappointing as his first 2 seasons have been. Year 3 could be a blow up. The Bulls have a lot more minutes waiting for him in 09' if he isn't traded in a deal the Bulls have to take. I wish Miami would take a deal for Hinrich, Hughes or BG, and our draft pick for their pick (only if it's top 2), and ****ty contracts like mark blount and/or ricky davis, then the bulls would waive Davis obviously, but you would have D Rose. Very far fetched, but the Bulls would be taking HORRIBLE contracts off Miami's hands, giving them an experienced and above average PG and SG, and still leaving them a nice #9ish pick.

Official 09' Dream starting 5

PG Derrick Rose
SG Thabo Sefolosha
SF Andres Nocioni
PF Tyrus Thomas
C Joakim Noah

I can dream right?????
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
marksmith
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengness9
Yeah your not a bust when your 21, have never received playing time on a constant or regular basis, and you are still a kid mentally. He is still far from a bust yet, as disappointing as his first 2 seasons have been. Year 3 could be a blow up. The Bulls have a lot more minutes waiting for him in 09' if he isn't traded in a deal the Bulls have to take. I wish Miami would take a deal for Hinrich, Hughes or BG, and our draft pick for their pick (only if it's top 2), and ****ty contracts like mark blount and/or ricky davis, then the bulls would waive Davis obviously, but you would have D Rose. Very far fetched, but the Bulls would be taking HORRIBLE contracts off Miami's hands, giving them an experienced and above average PG and SG, and still leaving them a nice #9ish pick.

PG Derrick Rose
SG Thabo Sefolosha
SF Andres Nocioni
PF Tyrus Thomas
C Joakim Noah

I can dream right?????

I like that a lot... except maybe we could work Deng into that SF spot. He's consistent from 12-18 and with Thomas and Noah banging down low, he could be open quite a bit more than we've seen him in recent memory.

I think seriously that Miami would strongly consider taking Noah and Gooden (since they lost their whole inside game in the Shaq trade) and our next two first round picks for it. Then you could take Rose and the lineup could go this way:

PG: Rose
SG: Hinrich (his natural position, btw)
SF: Sefolosha
PF: Thomas
C: Gray

Also, that gives you the flexibility that if somehow, some way, Beasley doesn't go #1 and falls to you, you still have a legitimate NBA PG on your roster in Hinrich... and you could go this way...

PG: Hinrich
SG: Sefolosha (tweener)
SF: Beasley (tweener)
PF: Thomas
C: Gray

I'd really like to sign someone more athletic than Gray, or he needs to hit the weight room or treadmill. Did no one ever tell him he runs LIKE A GIRL? Have you ever seen anyone run like that besides a 15 year old chick? Jesus H... I mean, he's got some nice moves inside, but with a more streamlined body and in better shape, he could be a dominant big man.

Last edited by marksmith : 04-18-2008 at 05:35 PM.
marksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengness9

PG Derrick Rose
SG Thabo Sefolosha
SF Andres Nocioni
PF Tyrus Thomas
C Joakim Noah

I can dream right?????

PG Derrick Rose
SG Thabo Sefolosha
SF Andres Nocioni
PF Jermaine O'Neal
C Joakim Noah

Now that would be my "dream team".
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:08 AM   #5
Dengness9

Conan

For real man, I would rather have Tyrus even with all that goes with him still developing over JO only because his injury plagued career scares me. He hasnt proved in a long time he can stay healthy. It would be just a huge gamble to get him y'kno.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Tyrus Thomas=The second coming of Stromile Swift.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

Okay but if not O'Neal then who do they go after? I'm sorry, but Tyrus Thomas, Andres Nocioni, Sefolsoha, Rose and Noah CANNOT carry this team. The Bulls absolutely need that all-star player like O'Neal, Elton Brand or someone like Tracy McGrady.

If not O'Neal then what about this?

SG: Tracy McGrady
SF: Nocioni
PF: Tyrus Thomas
C: Noah

or

SG: Sefolosha
SF: Nocioni
PF: Elton Brand

Edit: And even those teams I'm not too sure about. I don't really like any of the Bulls current guards. Hinrich is decent, Ben Gordon would be fine coming off the bench but not a starter. I'd like to see Larry Hughes go and I wouldn't be upset if Sefolosha went either as he hasn't really impressed me too much on the offensive end. He's another player who would be good coming off the bench but not as a starter. The only real positions that I'm kind of fine with right now are SF (Nocioni and Deng) and C (Noah and Gray). IMO, the Bulls need real work done with their guards and PF's. I don't really have a problem with Thomas but he's not a PF. I think he'd be good at SF.

If Paxson could pull this off I'd be so happy...

PG: Kirk Hinrich
SG: Tracy McGrady
SF: Tyrus Thomas
PF: Elton Brand

Last edited by ConanRulesNBC : 04-19-2008 at 06:01 PM.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Ring#7
I brick open layups

Hey, I'm new but i have to defend my boy Thomas. He's not a bust at all. He's just been handled improperly by the team. It all started last season with having him come off the bench behind washed up PJ Brown. Then he got off to a slow start this season and was benched again. Also this team was overloaded with power forwards that should also be starting. ( Ben Wallace, Noah, Joe smith) How is a player supposed to get in any kind of groove when he can barely get on the court. The few times where he actually got decent minutes he did a pretty good job. For what its worth, if we did draft Aldridge, I think he would be in the same situation. Look at what happened to Chandler, and look at him now.
Ring#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
Dengness9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring#7
Hey, I'm new but i have to defend my boy Thomas. He's not a bust at all. He's just been handled improperly by the team. It all started last season with having him come off the bench behind washed up PJ Brown. Then he got off to a slow start this season and was benched again. Also this team was overloaded with power forwards that should also be starting. ( Ben Wallace, Noah, Joe smith) How is a player supposed to get in any kind of groove when he can barely get on the court. The few times where he actually got decent minutes he did a pretty good job. For what its worth, if we did draft Aldridge, I think he would be in the same situation. Look at what happened to Chandler, and look at him now.

Ring that was all on point, thank you.

And Conan, please understand that Thabo is a player to keep around. He is also real young and his upside is pretty good. He showed that with minutes his confidence and overall game really is a lot better. Look at this real quick...

In 20 games from January to the end of February, Thabo played an average of 29.7 mpg, and his stats for that span, before he got injured were...

11.3 ppg
5.8 rpg
2.4 apg
1.3 spg

Thats pretty damn good when you consider this was his FIRST significant stretch of playing time in his young NBA career. Those stats could be even better with 35 to 40 minutes a game. I think when you combine his improving offense with his above average on ball D, and his 6-7 length with his wingspan making him even bigger than that, he is a keeper.

For games when he played 35 minutes or higher, here is his game log...

36 minutes vs. Detroit 12 pts, 13 rebs, 2 stls
43 minutes vs. Indy 14 pts, 2 rebs, 3 rebs, 3 stls
35 minutes vs. Char 13 pts, 10 rebs, 1 stl, 1 blk
38 minutes vs. Minn 14 pts, 8 rebs, 4 blks
36 minutes vs. Seattle 10 pts, 9 rebs, 3 asts
42 minutes vs. Port 22 pts, 4 rebs, 6 asts, 2 stls, 3 blks
41 minutes vs Utah 22 pts, 7 rebs, 4 asts, 2 stls, 1 blk
39 minutes vs NO 12 pts, 6 rebs, 4 asts, 1 blk
39 minutes vs Mia 17 pts, 12 rebs, 4 stls
35 minutes vs Milk 6 pts, 8 rebs, 7 asts, 2 stls, 1 blk

As you can see for yourself, he has a ton of promise based on these stats. Everyone needs to realize he is just getting comfortable in the NBA, and in America, just being his second year in the states. His role is still largely undetermined but he put up good numbers when he was called on. The only game he didn't score in double figures when he played 35+ mpg, was a game in which he was 4 pts, 2 rebs, 3 asts, short of a triple double. He still had 3 or 4 other games where he scored atleast 20 when he played less than 35 mpg.

Bottom line, Thabo is the type of guy every championship contender needs, he can be a great role player filling the stat sheet but has the ability and upside to be much more than a role player.

Last edited by Dengness9 : 04-19-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
vmdv12
Kids at the park dunk on me

Tyrus, a bust? Come on! The only reason this is even a topic is because Aldridge had a good year. Aldridge has a decent, if that, back to the basket game. He's probably the best running big man in the league. The guy can straight fly and he has a very good mid range jumper. That's it! He fits nice along side Oden next year. Tyrus is a defensive power forward who has also shown that his strength is a nice, developing mid range jumper. Not to mention the guy can catch any alleyoop...if only we had a pg who throws that pass!! If you guys recall...Horace Grant had NO post up game. Grant was all mid range jumper and he hit the boards. He was a great piece. Tyrus is far from a bust! He's developing, just as we expected. No one said he was going to be an automatic starter, although, I think he should start. The main problem is that Tyrus and Noah do not have a developed post up game. Which is why they like Gooden next to Noah. Lastly...as we've all seen....the Bulls rotation was horrible to watch. Even the starters didn't know if they were going to get minutes or get benched. Tyrus, like any other young player, just needs minutes. Last year..he put together a couple good plays here and there. This year he put together some good games. Next year...
vmdv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: