Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
High Potential
Best poster ever

Default How do I learn to shoot like Kapono??

My handles are fine. Passing fine. Defense-well that's my strength. The only part of my game I could call bad-and infact it is completely terrible, is my jumper. I am a pointgaurd and only 6'3" so i should be expected to have a good jumper. But it is terrible beyond all comparison. Atleast Marion has a jumpform he follows every shot. My shot looks different every time I shoot it.

I want to start from scratch. I am a hard worker and can take 400 shots a day. I want to have perfect form though. I need to work on that mostly. Jason Kapono has been one of my favorite players since his days in UCLA. Peja is also one of in my opinion the top shooters in the league. They have solid form and motion that they follow. Now I want to be able to work hard on my shot, but I can't work hard unless I know what to do. What are good exercises I should work on to improve my form? What are some good fundamentals to remember? All of the coaches I have had since middle school through highschool have said i don't need a jumper because the rest of my game "makes up for it" and i shoot good freethrows, hitting about 8 out of 10 on average. I need to tear down my shot completely and rebuild it. Someone help please!
High Potential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
determined2win
I hit open layups

Default Re: How do I learn to shoot like Kapono??

nothing will make you a better shoot aside from shooting, practice practice practice. you cant become a better shooter unless you keep shooting, as pistol pete wouldve said.
determined2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
High Potential
Best poster ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined2win
nothing will make you a better shoot aside from shooting, practice practice practice. you cant become a better shooter unless you keep shooting, as pistol pete wouldve said.
What I'm trying to say is I want to start practicing and working hard on it, the thing is, I need to know how to have good form and follow through and all that before I start trying to imitate it. If I just keep shooting with my crappy no form jumper I won't get much better. I need a solid shooting form to start from before I start working on it.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
v-unit
NBA All-star

Tell me how old you are first. If you are in highschool, sorry, but it is too late.

That's an international rule, you don't change your shot once you hit highschool.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
determined2win
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Potential
What I'm trying to say is I want to start practicing and working hard on it, the thing is, I need to know how to have good form and follow through and all that before I start trying to imitate it. If I just keep shooting with my crappy no form jumper I won't get much better. I need a solid shooting form to start from before I start working on it.
oh, i apologize for being so oblivious to what you were asking, in return, here are some shooting follow throughs that hopefully can sort your situation, pistol pete teaching, of course.

#1 http://youtube.com/watch?v=D-nV0Gzof_0
#2 http://youtube.com/watch?v=__k0_1QZSLM&feature=related
#3 http://youtube.com/watch?v=tIq5HQwe-6k&feature=related
#4 http://youtube.com/watch?v=YkAsk1HyFD4&feature=related
#5 http://youtube.com/watch?v=BKLcB-tyrwo&feature=related
#6 http://youtube.com/watch?v=RNEeMaU6xdk&feature=related
determined2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
High Potential
Best poster ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
Tell me how old you are first. If you are in highschool, sorry, but it is too late.

That's an international rule, you don't change your shot once you hit highschool.
I'm 18. I have no shot to change, because my form is different everytime I shoot it. I'd have to say with my jumper I am 25% at best. As starting PG on my highschool team my points came only off fast break steals and dribble penetration, and atheleticism, I have absolutely no shot to speak of.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
djsmkb8
I airball my layups

Shoot thousands of shot within 5 feet of the basket. Get your release the same every time. That, in my opinion, is the most important part of the shot. Being able to control the flight of the ball and get it going straight every time will ensure your shot is consistent Then, when you have your release perfected, you can increase your range by adding your legs to the shot. I know it's more fun being able to hit long shots, but get your release right first and everything else will come a lot easier.
djsmkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:54 AM   #8
hito da god
look that way >>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmkb8
Shoot thousands of shot within 5 feet of the basket. Get your release the same every time. That, in my opinion, is the most important part of the shot. Being able to control the flight of the ball and get it going straight every time will ensure your shot is consistent Then, when you have your release perfected, you can increase your range by adding your legs to the shot. I know it's more fun being able to hit long shots, but get your release right first and everything else will come a lot easier.
follow that advice

form shooting is the most important part of learning how to become a great shooter

any time you step on a court, you should do some form shooting before shooting from anywhere else. that'll warm up your jumper, get your form right, and get you'll be taking shots with more consistent form. practice this every day, make 10 swishes in a row, move back a step, and make 10 from there. keep the process going, and you'll add plenty range to your jumper.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit

I changed my shot in highschool and Im pretty good shooter...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

U should ask ur coach to help u about shooting form...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
lil_watz
I brick open layups

V-Unit I have to disagree with you, there isn't any age in which you can't learn to shoot. My suggestion is to move to the right or left side of the rim and shoot the ball off of the backboard. Do this over and over again, paying attention to your form. Keep your eyes on the spot you are shooting at, make sure your elbow is lined up and follow through. When you feel comfortable at this spot move a step back. Do this over and over and over again. Don't worry about shooting at the bucket. That will come with time. Right now work on what form you want. It doesnt matter how it looks, it matters if you can shoot comfortably that way. Take Dereck Fisher or like you said Marion for example, ugly form but it goes in. This will just take time.
lil_watz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
v-unit
NBA All-star

That's a legit way to learn, exept I learned it as BEEEFE

Balance
Elbows
Eyes
Elevation
Fallow through
Everytime

Both are correct though, I would recommend mine only because you can't forget elevation. There was a video posted in the OTC showing some kid shooting at a court, and he had absolutly no elevtaion. And if you don't have elevation, fallow through is almost pointless because either way, your shot will be flat.

I guess there are expections, and you could try to learn to shoot with one type of form forever, if you say that your shot is inconsistent. I would recommend just looking at some videos, reading something like the above posted, and just go to the ymca or something and shoot slowely the same way as much as you can. Go for about an hour of shots about 3 feet away, then a bit further, then free throw line, and don't try shooting threes on your first day because you will not be used to it and that will force you to slightly change your shot. For your first two sessions, just shoot slowly and efficiently (same way always) from mid range and do it enough until you realize that when you play, your shooting the same way all the time.

Hope that helped.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
High Potential
Best poster ever

thanks for all the help guys, i've already done 2 hours of the perfect form from 3 feet away thing, now that I have a set plan in mind it is alot easier to practice
Old 04-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #14
jbot
Future D1 Dad

practice. that's about it really. remember that you're training your body to do the same movement over and over again(arms, legs, etc.). take care to follow thru on your shot also.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #15
daballa13
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Potential
My handles are fine. Passing fine. Defense-well that's my strength. The only part of my game I could call bad-and infact it is completely terrible, is my jumper. I am a pointgaurd and only 6'3" so i should be expected to have a good jumper. But it is terrible beyond all comparison. Atleast Marion has a jumpform he follows every shot. My shot looks different every time I shoot it.

I want to start from scratch. I am a hard worker and can take 400 shots a day. I want to have perfect form though. I need to work on that mostly. Jason Kapono has been one of my favorite players since his days in UCLA. Peja is also one of in my opinion the top shooters in the league. They have solid form and motion that they follow. Now I want to be able to work hard on my shot, but I can't work hard unless I know what to do. What are good exercises I should work on to improve my form? What are some good fundamentals to remember? All of the coaches I have had since middle school through highschool have said i don't need a jumper because the rest of my game "makes up for it" and i shoot good freethrows, hitting about 8 out of 10 on average. I need to tear down my shot completely and rebuild it. Someone help please!

Listen Bro, I'm probably the best shooter in my High School, and the thing is I have horrible form, when you want to build your shot from scratch you don't have to listen to these guys who say " oh you have to have your right arm straight making an L" because this is one of the dumbest things I've heard, whatever your comfortable with works, Ray Allen, Kevin Durant, Ben Gordon, Jason Kapono, Reggie Miller, Jamla Crawford, Larry Bird, Bill Lambeer, man all these guys had/have so called "bad form". My biggest advice is shoot with whatever for your comfortable with, but just remember to follow through and look at the entire rim, not a certain spot, but the entire thing. Remember you don't need so called "proper form" to be a great shooter.
daballa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: