Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-02-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
Zak

Zak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputation
Default Flexibility

How to improve it?

I have really tight hamstrings, as when I try to stretch before playing basketball I don't get all that close to my feet. So, other then stretching everday and trying to reach further, is there any other way to improve my flexibility?
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Flexibility

if you're looking for an overnight solution, you won't find any

i suggest you stretch 10-15 minutes a day. stretch before a workout and after. you might also wanna consider taking up some yoga
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Zak

Zak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputationZak has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
if you're looking for an overnight solution, you won't find any

i suggest you stretch 10-15 minutes a day. stretch before a workout and after. you might also wanna consider taking up some yoga

Thanks for the advice, and i wasnt really looking for a short term solution, just a way to slowly but surely get there.

I will try the stretching advice, but i really doubt i can find yoga classes where i am now.
(Saudi Arabia).

Again, thanks.

And I heard you shouldn't stretch immediately before running or playing sports, but do something light such as jog for a few minutes before stretching so you don't force your muscles to do something, or something liket that.

Could someone please tell me if that is true or not.
Again, thanks for the advice.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

This is from Charles Poliquin's article on T-nation. You have to be selective of the authors you listen to there, and with Poliquin, some of his stuff I don't listen to either, but flexibility and supplementation are two of the things I do.

Q: What are your general protocols for your athletes when it comes to stretching?

A: There are three main families of stretching, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. The rule of thumb is, the ones that are good for short-term gains are terrible for long-term gains, and vice-versa.

The key to being very flexible is to use all three methods in the proper sequence. The proper sequence is PNF, then ballistic, then end with static. But never stretch before lifting weights.

In order to get flexible you have to do flexibility training. Sounds obvious, right? But the research is very clear: doing it 20 minutes a day, four days a week to warm-up for workouts does not increase flexibility.

The minimum threshold of flexibility training you need per week to increase flexibility is six hours. The good news is that after six to eight weeks you'll be as flexible as your genetics will ever allow you to be. After that you can maintain flexibility with only one hour a week.

So if you're serious about getting flexible you need to specialize in it. The good news is that once you're flexible, then you're flexible, with just a little maintenance every week.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Zak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPrints
This is from Charles Poliquin's article on T-nation. You have to be selective of the authors you listen to there, and with Poliquin, some of his stuff I don't listen to either, but flexibility and supplementation are two of the things I do.

Q: What are your general protocols for your athletes when it comes to stretching?

A: There are three main families of stretching, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. The rule of thumb is, the ones that are good for short-term gains are terrible for long-term gains, and vice-versa.

The key to being very flexible is to use all three methods in the proper sequence. The proper sequence is PNF, then ballistic, then end with static. But never stretch before lifting weights.

In order to get flexible you have to do flexibility training. Sounds obvious, right? But the research is very clear: doing it 20 minutes a day, four days a week to warm-up for workouts does not increase flexibility.

The minimum threshold of flexibility training you need per week to increase flexibility is six hours. The good news is that after six to eight weeks you'll be as flexible as your genetics will ever allow you to be. After that you can maintain flexibility with only one hour a week.

So if you're serious about getting flexible you need to specialize in it. The good news is that once you're flexible, then you're flexible, with just a little maintenance every week.

Damn, I'm not trying to be super flexible, just a bit less tense in the legs and such. Is it needed to really train almost a whole hour a day?
Old 05-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak
Damn, I'm not trying to be super flexible, just a bit less tense in the legs and such. Is it needed to really train almost a whole hour a day?

You don't have to take my (or Poliquins) word for it. Start a stretching program and see what happens. IMO, same thing for strength...you are not going to increase overall strength with just 2o minutes of weightlifting a day...Thing is, everyone responds a bit different to each stimulii...maybe you can increase flexibility with 20 minutes, but we are talking long term results, which has been proven to not be increaed with minimal attention.

Another idea you may want to look at is foam rolling though, this will help muscle density and possibly increase the effectiveness of your stretcing program...another point, he is right, it (stretching) doesn't belong at the beginning of your workout...it should be a seperate entity or integrated into your training program.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: