Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 08-18-2006, 12:36 AM   #1
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation
Default The "Should have got PT" thread

Who here thinks that they should have gotten playing time, but sat on the bench all season through HS?

I believe that I just didn't ever get a chance from my coach. I worked hard during practice. I was a dead eye shooter that attacks the basket. I am like Corey Maggette when attacking the basket so I go to the freethrow line a lot where I'm 90% from. Numerous times, I sat on the bench watching my teamates brick freethrow after freethrow and losing games because of freethrows when I was the only one who could hit freethrows on my HS basketball team. I'm 6 feet tall(2nd or 3rd tallest on the team). I'm not too great of a ball handler, but I'm smart with the ball. I was a good man defender, which was something our basketball team lacked. We always played zone because no one except for me and 3 or 4 other players were good at man-to-man defense. Everytime we lost, I always believed that If I just played, we would have won because I wouldn't have missed those freethrows and I wouldn't have let the man go by me for an uncontested lay up or letting my man shoot the open jumper. What really pissed me off is that my coach has always preached every practice, pregame, halftime, and post game on defense, attacking the basket, and making freethrows, 3 things that I'm very good at. My coach would only let me play garbage minutes. Everytime I played, I always went to the line(12-12 from the line all season) and I always got into passing lanes. A 20 point lead would turn into a 27 or 30 point lead because of my defense, shooting, and aggressiveness. Coach calls time out, sits me down, says "great job, Casey, I might let you start next game." I get excited because I might actually start and get PT... I sat on the bench the entire game. I didn't even want to look at my coach because I knew if i did, I would have said something that would have gotten me kicked off the team. What really bothers me is when my coach lets me in when we are down by 20 when there is "no hope for a win," coach is like "alright, go in, Casey, have your fun." I spark a 6-0 or 7-0 run in minute in a half span, early in the 4th quarter, making it a 12 or 13 point game, which is possible to come back to win the game. He would sit me down and throw in someone who completely sucks at defense, shooting and attacking the basket, and we end up losing the game by 30. I remember one game, I actually did get to start. I started. I get fouled going to the basket, I hit the freethrows, yet I still get taken out of the game with only 2 or 3 minutes into the game and I didn't get back out there.

Anyone else belong in this catagory?

Last edited by clipps : 08-18-2006 at 12:38 AM.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
bruinballer
Decent playground baller

bruinballer has an OK reputation so far

uh.. no?

i either started or was 6th man in high school...

sorry, man...
bruinballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

Good for you. I didn't make a thread about starters and sixthmen. I made a thread about players that should have gotten PT but was never given the chance, no matter how good they are and how hard they work in practice.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
bruinballer
Decent playground baller

bruinballer has an OK reputation so far

sorry, clipps... guess i was post-whoring there...

my bad...
bruinballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
clipps
Good college starter

,l,,
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: