Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New Orleans Pelicans Forum

New Orleans Pelicans Forum New Orleans Pelicans message board - New Orleans Pelicans Forum

Old 06-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default JR Smith - trade him or keep him?

Things didn't work out with JR Smith and the Hornets/Byron Scott last season, but Smith is still young, athletic as anyone in the league, and certainly still raw.

Keep him around and try to develop him, or trade him away?

And trade him for what type of player?
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

I think the realationship between him and coach scott is pretty far down the crapper and it would be best for him and the Hornets for him to be moved.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

Wasn't there almost a Brent Barry for Smith deal?

That would be a nice deal for both teams.

The Hornets get a good combo guard and veteran in Bones to play alongside Paul, while the Spurs get a prospect in Smith.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:45 AM   #4
albertpujols
High School Varsity 6th Man

Barely gets minutes nowadays. He probably got pretty pissed because of that...
albertpujols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
wally_world
M0derator

yes! trade JR Smith! plus another 2 players for a steady STAR player that will lead the team to playoffs! maybe JR Smith + Desmond Mason + David West for KG + 2 other noobs! then we'll have something liek this...
C-PJ Brown
PF-KG
SF-Butler
SG-Synder
PG-Paul
maybe trade Synder away with some other bench player too, for a steady SG...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

How about J.R. Smith to Atl for Tyronne Lue, and our second round pick. You all need a backup point guard since speedy is probably gone and our second round pick is damn near a first rounder.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:55 AM   #7
albertpujols

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5
How about J.R. Smith to Atl for Tyronne Lue, and our second round pick. You all need a backup point guard since speedy is probably gone and our second round pick is damn near a first rounder.

I personally would not like that trade. Smith has much more promising talent than Tyronne Lue. The fact that a pick is also being given away is questionable.

Chris Paul could already log in 35-40 minutes a game, with the speedy solid Claxton of the bench providing energy and hustle. The PG field is already covered for probable years to come.

Tyronne Lue is only a solid back-up at best. He is a shoot-first point, who does not cover some nesassary fundamental point guard skills eg. passing.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:04 AM   #8
albertpujols

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world
yes! trade JR Smith! plus another 2 players for a steady STAR player that will lead the team to playoffs! maybe JR Smith + Desmond Mason + David West for KG + 2 other noobs! then we'll have something liek this...
C-PJ Brown
PF-KG
SF-Butler
SG-Synder
PG-Paul
maybe trade Synder away with some other bench player too, for a steady SG...

I actually do not like this trade as much. David West has much talent that could hover around KJ's for years to come. He has certainly proven how valuable he is with his numbers and clutch shots. Your also giving away JR who can certainly become a allstar in time. Desmond Mason is proable for the trade though, as he has slowed down his performance over the season. Still athletic at best.

The starting lineup seems very weak in alot of areas with loss of key players, but a probable deadly KG - Paul two-punch combo could be in the mix.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
Sportsmind
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I would hate to see J.R. go, but it looks like it has to happen. Thank god the Spurs trade didn't go through though because that would have been highway robbery. I wouldn't mind seeing something get done with Charlotte or Denver who are in desperate need of a 2 guard.

Charlotte: J.R. Smith for Brevin Knight or Melvin Ely and their 2nd Rounder

Denver: Sign and trade, J.R. Smith and #14 for Nene

Wildcard: Sign and trade with Sacramento for Bonzi Wells would be ideal. He would complement Paul well and add some toughness to the team. I think we may go after him in free agency anyway.
Sportsmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
insidehoops
Administrator

The problem is, right now JR Smith's trade value is extremely low, because the entire league knows he can be had. So it's tough to get anyone back for him who would be top 7 in most rotations
Old 06-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #11
Sportsmind

I agree, but I think the smart teams know how good he can become, such as the Spurs, Detroit, Denver, Dallas. Maybe Cleveland? I'd take Drew Gooden for Mason and Smith. Play Gooden at the 3.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:21 PM   #12
insidehoops
Administrator

I don't think you want gooden as the main 3
Old 06-21-2006, 03:10 PM   #13
Sportsmind

Yeah, it's a stretch. I definately think Denver is the answer considering they desperately want a 2 guard who can drain the 3 and they have 4 well-paid big man. I would try for Nene or possibly Elson.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #14
HornetsFan4Life

2 guard who can drain the 3?? Is that not exactly what we need. Everyone needs to remember that JR should be preparing for his JUNIOR year of college this summer. How many college players with 2 years of experience could post number like JR is capable of?? Very few. I think we need to hang on to JR and give him just a while more to see if he becomes what we all think he can. If Bob Bass knew how good Kobe would eventually become, we would have never traded him for Vlade. Lets not kick ourselves 2 years down the road when JR is scoring 20 ppg beside Carmelo, give it 1 more year.
HornetsFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #15
insidehoops
Administrator

I can tell you guys that in the last week of June, JR Smith's been focusing on streetball, playing outside here in NYC
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: