Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Washington Wizards Forum

Washington Wizards Forum Washington Wizards forum - Washington Wizards message board

Old 05-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation
Default Offseason

It's officially the offseason for our Wizards.

Post stuff here about offseason moves/draft picks you want to happen.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Jarrett
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Jarrett has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Offseason

I don't know what going to happen in the offseason, but I know they are jumping it off right in the clubs.

http://www.stetsports.com/2008/05/washington-wiza.html
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
t-rud349
Maybe Next year...

t-rud349 has an OK reputation so far

I think the should Wizards resign Jamison and Mason, let Gilbert walk because I don't trust his knee. Use whatever cap room there is to sign some strong role players. Or do a sign and trade with Gilbert to get some draft picks and a role player. Maybe to the Clippers for Chris Kamon and their 7th overall pick. Then with the 7th pick take either O.J. Mayo, Jerryd Bayless, or Eric Gordan to fill Gilberts shoes. Also try to trade Songolia and Etan Thomas for some cap room. Then with 18th pick take Jason Thompson. And for the second round take J.R. Giddens who I believe will be a steal. The team could look something like this

PG- 7th Pick/ Daniels/Giddens
SG- Stevenson/Young
SF- Butler/Mason
PF- Jamison/Thompson/Blatch
C- Kamon/Haywood/

I think with time Thompson and Giddens could be solid role players/starters. Thompson should eventually become a starter with around a 18/11 average and Giddens could takeover for Stevenson as I'm not sold on Young in the NBA
t-rud349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
PlatteontheRiver

PlatteontheRiver has an OK reputation so far

Can anyone explain to me how trades for draft picks work salary wise? As an example if Washington did trade either Songolia or Etan Thomas for a draft pick what range of selection would they be traded for? Is this where trade exemptions come in? Please give me a clue!
PlatteontheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rud349
I think the should Wizards resign Jamison and Mason, let Gilbert walk because I don't trust his knee. Use whatever cap room there is to sign some strong role players. Or do a sign and trade with Gilbert to get some draft picks and a role player. Maybe to the Clippers for Chris Kamon and their 7th overall pick. Then with the 7th pick take either O.J. Mayo, Jerryd Bayless, or Eric Gordan to fill Gilberts shoes. Also try to trade Songolia and Etan Thomas for some cap room. Then with 18th pick take Jason Thompson. And for the second round take J.R. Giddens who I believe will be a steal. The team could look something like this

PG- 7th Pick/ Daniels/Giddens
SG- Stevenson/Young
SF- Butler/Mason
PF- Jamison/Thompson/Blatch
C- Kamon/Haywood/

I think with time Thompson and Giddens could be solid role players/starters. Thompson should eventually become a starter with around a 18/11 average and Giddens could takeover for Stevenson as I'm not sold on Young in the NBA
I don't think the Clippers would give up #7 and Kaman for Gilbo...
Old 05-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
t-rud349
Maybe Next year...

t-rud349 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix
I don't think the Clippers would give up #7 and Kaman for Gilbo...

Hey you never know. I could see them doing it because I think Brand might leave and they could use Gilbo to help make them relevent and he would deff take over headlines there even if it is on the Clips. He is more marketable then Kamon and Brand put together, so if Sterling realized that I think they'd pull the trigger easily.
t-rud349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

I was thinking that we start rebuilding next year. So we make a three team trade with Miami and the Clippers.

First, we let Jamison leave.

Wizards trade: Arenas
Wizards receive: Blount, Tim Thomas, rights to Derrick Rose

Heat trade: Marion, Blount, and rights to Derrick Rose
Heat receive: Elton Brand and Corey Maggette

Clippers trade: Brand, Maggette, and Tim Thomas
Clippers receive: Arenas and Marion

CLIPPERS - Can become pretty good right away. Instead of losing Maggette for nothing, they get Marion.

Kaman/FA
Love/(pick)
Marion/Thornton
Mobley/Livingston
Arenas/Knight

HEAT - Pat will make a big trade and bring in big name guys.. They improve greatly.

Mourning/Barron
Brand/Haslem
Maggette/Wright
Wade/Cook
Banks/FA (They'd need a PG)

WIZARDS - We get Rose and a deeper bench.

Haywood/Blount
Blatche/T.Thomas
Butler/Roger Mason JR
Stevenson/Young
Rose/Daniels

We probably won't make the play-offs with a roster like that, but with Rose and Blatche improving, we'll probably end up with about a #10 - #15 pick in the draft.

By the year 2010, Blount, Antonio Daniels, Tim Thomas, and Etan Thomas come off the books, which means we free up enough cap space for a MAX free agent.

So by 2010 we could be looking at:

Rose/FA-Draft Pick
Nick Young/Stevenson
Butler/Mason JR
Dirk/Blatche
2009 lotto pick/Haywood.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
PlatteontheRiver

Thumbs up Re: Offseason

Let's simplify things. How about a trade of Etan to Chicago for Sefolosha and a signed Duhon? They have lost playing time in Chicago, can be dumped if they don't work out, fill Washington needs and play positions are deep no matter which player Chicago picks.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

And resign Gilbert and Jamison?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
PlatteontheRiver

Quote:
And resign Gilbert and Jamison?

Sign them if you can depending on resonable contracts (no more Juwan Howard). Do a sign and trade if neccessary. Both players can be replaced opening up cap space now or soon and still have a team that will win 45 plus with a healthy and young Caron Butler to lead the team.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatteontheRiver
Sign them if you can depending on resonable contracts (no more Juwan Howard). Do a sign and trade if neccessary. Both players can be replaced opening up cap space now or soon and still have a team that will win 45 plus with a healthy and young Caron Butler to lead the team.
If we keep the same roster but add Chris Duhon, that isn't going to get us any higher than 4th in the East.

We need to tear apart and rebuild our team.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
PlatteontheRiver

Quote:
We need to tear apart and rebuild our team.

We still don't iknow who is coming back or who might come in as a free agent or in a sign and trade. I think Sefolosha has developed into a quaility player especially in Jordons offense. Who knows, we may see Elton Brand instead of Areanas next season. Drafting someone like Rush who may be able to slow Lebron. Looking back at past drafts Grunfeld and Jordon have done pretty well scouting. A lot depends on the money Antawn and Arenas demand.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
steve

steve is considered somewhat coolsteve is considered somewhat coolsteve is considered somewhat cool

Honestly I'd like to see the Wizards hold course and resign both Jamison and Arenas. They're too young to blow up and rebuild (Jamison and Daniels are the only serious rotation players over 30). I'd like to see what Jordan can accomplish with a healthy roster before they decide to blow them up. Besides, they're going to have significant cap space to sign another piece in two years when Daniels, Haywood, and Thomas come off the books (and that's even if they sign Arenas and Jamison). I trust Grunfeld.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
PlatteontheRiver

Talking Re: Offseason

If Arenas demands a max contract and Antawn wants between 12 and 15 million (my numbers) how much cap space will they have? I don't agree with the Clipper economics but isn't there such a thing as fiscal responsibility even in pro sports? Where is the loyalty of an athlete making more money advertising than on the court? I'm not a Barkley fan but I respect players who are taking less money instead of cripiling their team. I quess with him I should wait and see what deal he does ask for. He did make an outragous comment once!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #15
steve

steve is considered somewhat coolsteve is considered somewhat coolsteve is considered somewhat cool

God, I don't know who in their right minds would offer Jamison $14 to $15 million. I mean, realistically he's a $5 to $6 million player right now (of course I doubt he'll get paid that little). Most of the offseason plans hinge on how reasonable Jamison is with his contract demands.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: