Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default NBA Draft:Teams To Move Up;Teams To Move Down

Quote:
Moving Up:

Toronto(#17):Toronto could easily look to move up to acquire a C who can take pressure off of Chris Bosh in the post,they could possibly shop Calderon,Garbajosa,or Bargnani depending on the deal they could get from moving up.

Possible Targets:
Brook Lopez
JaVale McGee
Danillo Gallinari

Cleveland(#19):Cleveland could easily look to move up to bring in some help for LeBron James whether it could be a PF who can provide offense and defense,or a SG who can create his own shot and become the legit 2nd option for LeBron that they had hoped for in Larry Hughes.

Possible Targets:
Kevin Love
O.J. Mayo
Eric Gordon

Seattle:Seattle has 6 picks in the 2008 NBA Draft but could look to package their #26 pick along with a couple of their 2nd rounders or a player such as Luke Ridnour to move back into the lottery to bring in more help for their team.Seattle needs a legit starting SG with Damien Wilkins possibly leaving in free agency,or could go for a combo guard who would be able to play either backcourt position.

Possible Targets:
Eric Gordon
Jerryd Bayless
Russell Westbrook

Moving Down:

Charlotte(#8):Charlotte should look to trade down for the reason that of the players who are in this year's draft lottery,none would be of particular need for Charlotte because on paper they have a set rotation when healthy it's just that the team hasn't been coached well and the injury bug has struck each season,Charlotte could look to acquire a C who has good basketball IQ,size,and can provide defense.

Possible Targets:
Roy Hibbert
Nathan Jawai
Jason Thompson

Phoenix(#15):Phoenix sold their draft pick last season and it wouldn't be surprising if they did so again using Boris Diaw as bait to clear his salary off the books.Phoenix is not desperate for youth,they're more than likely looking to bring in some veterans to go all out for a Championship in the next 2 years before beginning to build the team around Amare Stoudemire.Phoenix could definetly use a big man who can grab boards and play defense along with a guard who can handle the ball and play good defense.

Possible Targets:
Mario Chalmers
DeVon Hardin
Richard Hendrix

Washington(#17):Washinton yet again is picking in the middle of the 1st round,where they have for the last 2 years but this season unlike last season they don't have an exact need to adress coming into the draft.Washington will have their entire team healthy coming into next season including Etan Thomas' return to add more depth to the front court.Washington would be a prime trading partner,possibly looking for a future 1st Rounder and a 2nd rounder.Washington could look to acquire a young European prospect,and keep them in Europe for 2 years or a young athletic C who can push Brendan Haywood for playing time.

Possible Targets:
Omri Casspi
Serge Ibaka
Alexis Ajinca
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Cavs2007Champs
Common-sense Cavs Fan

Default Re: NBA Draft:Teams To Move Up;Teams To Move Down

Nice analysis, but a few things...

With Kerr running things, and it looks he has good control over the next few moves without a head coach, I'm sure he wants to add some depth, if a solid PG they like is available, they grab them. Phoenix is in an odd situation, they don't have much youth outside of Alando Tucker, Amare, Diaw and Barbosa, and Diaw and Barbosa I think could be traded. So Phoenix needs some youth and they could grab a good player at 15, but they could also make some trades to strengthen their roster, if they still feel they have a shot to make a playoff run.

Cleveland should trade away the 19th this year. They are trying to win now, and they have a few expiring contracts which could be used with that pick to acquire a needed NBA proven player. I personally would like to see Jason Richardson come to Cleveland, and I liked the idea of Zach Randolph coming to Cleveland last year. But if Cleveland is going to keep their pick, they should focus on a big man, unless they are completely sold on a wing player. I would like for Cleveland to go big in the 1st if they keep it, and pick up Bryce Taylor if he goes undrafted.

Washington does have a need, they could use another big man. It depends on what they want, do they want a versatile shooting big man, or a banger, and if they want to prepare for the playoffs, after getting taken out by the Cavs and LeBron James for the 3rd straight year, I would go for a big man who can defend the paint, cuz Haywood, Blatche and Jamison won't cut it.

I do think Toronto needs to make a significant move, they could move up with that pick and trading any of the players you mentioned. They could get into the top 10 for sure as long as they have a taker, maybe Charlotte. Bargnani or Ford to Charlotte and swap picks, with a few other players.

I'm not sure where the Nets stand but with the 21st and a late lottery they could move up if there is someone worth grabbing. I don't know if they believe in the big man trio of Diop, Boone and S Williams, but Brook Lopez should be a nice Center in the future, if they like him they could definitely make a move for him. Not sure who the top swingmen are in this draft, but they could shore up the 2 or 3, if they plan on moving VC.

Last edited by Cavs2007Champs : 05-20-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Cavs2007Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

You forget Portland. Remember Portlands GM is Kevin Pritchard who in his short tenure has already built a reputation for scrambling up the draft and coming out smelling like daisys. I could see Portland moving up in the draft to make sure they get Russell Westbrook or Jerryd Bayliss...maybe even Anthony Randolph.

I also think San Antonio will move up to try and gain some talented youth so they can rebuild while still winning.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
fiddy
HC4L

IMO Keven Love will be in TOP 15.
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs2007Champs
Nice analysis, but a few things...

With Kerr running the Gm, and I it looks he has good control over the next few moves without a head coach, I'm sure he wants to add some depth, if a solid PG is available, maybe they grab them, Russell Westbrook could be an option. Phoenix is in an odd situation, they don't have much youth outside of Alando Tucker, Amare, Diaw and Barbosa, and Diaw and Barbosa aren't going to be much without Nash and that offense. So Phoenix needs some youth and they could grab a good player at 15, but they could also make some trades to strengthen their roster.

If they add a PG more than likely it will be a PG with some NBA experience for maybe a 1 year deal with an option for a 2nd year.A guy who I think would be perfect for them to bring in would be Chris Duhon who's going to be an unrestricted FA this summer,some other guys they could consider such as Dan Dickau,Anthony Carter,and Carlos Arroyo.

Quote:
Cleveland I believe will trade away the 19th this year. They are trying to win now, and they have a few expiring contracts after the 09 season which could be used with that pick to acquire a needed NBA proven player. I personally would like to see Jason Richardson come to Cleveland, and I liked the idea of Zach Randolph coming to Cleveland last year. But if Cleveland is going to keep their pick, they should focus on a big man, unless they are completely sold on a Swingman. I would like for Cleveland to go big in the 1st if they keep it, and pick up Bryce Taylor if he goes undrafted.
Yeah I agree,but do you think Zach Randolph would be worth giving up the 19th pick and Ben Wallace who will have only 2 years left on his contract heading into next season,which will free up huge money in 2010 for Cleveland to bring in help to persuade LeBron to stay.

Quote:
Washington does have a need, they could use another big man. It depends on what they want, do they want a versatile shooting big man, or a banger, and if they are want to prepare for the playoffs, after getting taken out by the Cavs and LeBron James for the 3rd straight year, I would go for a big man who can defend the paint, cuz Haywood, Blatche and Jamison won't cut it.
They have a versatile shooting big man in Pecherov but Eddie Jordan doesn't give him much playing time because he's very inexperienced,but that could change next season.As I said before Etan Thomas is returning and although he's coming off of a heart surgery in October he's had extra time to get ready physically for next season,and Brendan Haywood wasn't exactly horrible last season having a career year but they could use a young C but maybe someone in the 2nd round with an unguranteed contract to compete in training camp and summer league.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Cavs2007Champs
Common-sense Cavs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
You forget Portland. Remember Portlands GM is Kevin Pritchard who in his short tenure has already built a reputation for scrambling up the draft and coming out smelling like daisys. I could see Portland moving up in the draft to make sure they get Russell Westbrook or Jerryd Bayliss...maybe even Anthony Randolph.

I also think San Antonio will move up to try and gain some talented youth so they can rebuild while still winning.

True you can't count out Portland, with KP the genius running things their. I think this is the last draft they really focus on, they need to let these young guys develop, while Dallas, Phoenix, and San Antonio's dominance start to fade, now they will have to contend with LA, NO and Utah, along with the other bad teams who are stock piling talent.

I would love to see San Antonio add some athletiscm and youth. But they don't have much to trade other than picks. Horry and Finley are unsigned after this season, unless a sign and trade is done, then SA could move up to the teens with Clevleand, Toronto, or Phillly all being teams who could use a nice wing veteran.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen

Portland definetly doesn't need Bayless,or Randolph.

I do think Portland could use Russell Westbrook and I gurantee he will still be on the board at #13,or they could go for the local product in Kevin Love who can be the 3rd big man that Portland will need for the future.

Thats a very quality front court to have for the next 8-10 years with Oden and Aldridge starting with Kevin Love coming off the bench.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
Cavs2007Champs
Common-sense Cavs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
If they add a PG more than likely it will be a PG with some NBA experience for maybe a 1 year deal with an option for a 2nd year.A guy who I think would be perfect for them to bring in would be Chris Duhon who's going to be an unrestricted FA this summer,some other guys they could consider such as Dan Dickau,Anthony Carter,and Carlos Arroyo.

Yeah I agree,but do you think Zach Randolph would be worth giving up the 19th pick and Ben Wallace who will have only 2 years left on his contract heading into next season,which will free up huge money in 2010 for Cleveland to bring in help to persuade LeBron to stay.

I remember hearing Kerr's plan as GM, was to add a backup PG, so they need to get a good young one, and I agree Duhon would be a nice fit out there, Arroyo I don't believe has the true experience of running a team though.

I wouldn't throw in the 19th pick in for a Randolph trade, I've thought of ways they could get Randolph, and I wouldn't throw in picks if I were Cleveland, cutting NY's payroll would be a gift, so there's no need to make the present even better. I'd use the 19th pick and expirings for Jason Richardson or someone that could be a true 2nd option type player.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
True you can't count out Portland, with KP the genius running things their. I think this is the last draft they really focus on, they need to let these young guys develop, while Dallas, Phoenix, and San Antonio's dominance start to fade, now they will have to contend with LA, NO and Utah, along with the other bad teams who are stock piling talent.

I would love to see San Antonio add some athletiscm and youth. But they don't have much to trade other than picks. Horry and Finley are unsigned after this season, unless a sign and trade is done, then SA could move up to the teens with Clevleand, Toronto, or Phillly all being teams who could use a nice wing veteran.
I think Horry is going to retire,but Finley definetly will be back in San Antonio because he's playing on a winning team and he isn't going to make more money elsewhere at this point in his career.

San Antonio is counting on their 2 big men prospects to get some PT next year in Tiago Splitter who is a Top 10 talent but has a buy-out problem and Ian Mahinmi who got a lot of experience on their D-League affiliate.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
I remember hearing Kerr's plan as GM, was to add a backup PG, so they need to get a good young one, and I agree Duhon would be a nice fit out there, Arroyo I don't believe has the true experience of running a team though.
Arroyo can handle the ball,hes a solid back-up PG and thats all he'd be asked to do in Phoenix playing maybe 14 MPG.

Quote:
I wouldn't throw in the 19th pick in for a Randolph trade, I've thought of ways they could get Randolph, and I wouldn't throw in picks if I were Cleveland, cutting NY's payroll would be a gift, so there's no need to make the present even better. I'd use the 19th pick and expirings for Jason Richardson or someone that could be a true 2nd option type player.
You do realize Jason Richardson fell in love with the 3 right?
He came 1 more contested 3 from shooting 600 last season.

I think LeBron is more in need for someone to help him in the front court rather than someone to take the shots he passes up which would be what J-Rich is going to do.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
bballog
Chamilitary Mang!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy
IMO Keven Love will be in TOP 15.

Yeah, unfortunatly the team that picks him is gonna be screwed
bballog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballog
Yeah, unfortunatly the team that picks him is gonna be screwed

Kevin Love is going to be a good player,I think he'll become Nick Collison with more range.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
kidachi

Mayo could drop to 19?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #14
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidachi
Mayo could drop to 19?
No,but he could be a target if Cleveland moved up.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
Cavs2007Champs
Common-sense Cavs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
I think LeBron is more in need for someone to help him in the front court rather than someone to take the shots he passes up which would be what J-Rich is going to do.

I agree, Cleveland needs a big man, and a young one at that. But I'm not really sure is available, I'd love Elton Brand, if he opts out, or if Cleveland stands pat this off season, and Brand is ready to move by the trade deadline, that would be who I would want, maybe that's the big named superstar who wants to be traded by the All Star Break, and maybe Cleveland would have a shot at nabbing him, but Cleveland can't go back into the 08-09 season with the same roster. Maybe hold onto the Wally contract until you get a surefire deal, and just deal the snow and Jones contracts this off season
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: