Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default OJ Mayo NBA comparisons

What player do you think OJ Mayo is most similar to? I've heard Gilbert Arenas and Kobe Bryant, Brandon Roy and Jamal Crawford.

I think Brandon Roy is probably the least accurate and Crawford/Arenas are the best comparisons.

Last edited by VCMVP1551 : 05-21-2008 at 07:47 AM.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: OJ Mayo NBA comparisons

Well Brandon Roy is the opposite of Arenas. Roy is a player that looks to get his team mates involved, never rushes anthing/ controls the tempo, can take any player to the basket and score with either hand, shoots mid range jump shots. Something about watching OJ Mayo, he comes off as a guy that worries more about himself rather than team. I would say he is more like Arenas in that he wants to stand out as an individual which may be why his team didn't get any where.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

I'd say a young Marbury
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
VCMVP1551

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
I'd say a young Marbury

I don't know. Mayo seems to be more of a scorer/less of a playmaker than Marbury and much bigger.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Wozza_wade
I hit open 5-footers

Wozza_wade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
Well Brandon Roy is the opposite of Arenas. Roy is a player that looks to get his team mates involved, never rushes anthing/ controls the tempo, can take any player to the basket and score with either hand, shoots mid range jump shots. Something about watching OJ Mayo, he comes off as a guy that worries more about himself rather than team. I would say he is more like Arenas in that he wants to stand out as an individual which may be why his team didn't get any where.
maybe but neither did roys this year
Wozza_wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozza_wade
maybe but neither did roys this year

Wow that was a predictable response. What do you expect from the youngest team in the NBA and the leader being in his second year? Plus we are playing in the Western Conference. The Wizards have 3 All Star caliber veterans and they're playing in the east. Anyway, I wasn't even talking about the Wizards, I was talking about Mayo's USC team. I don't think you wanna go there about comparing the Wizards success to Portland's.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #7
Fresh-2-Def
Jerryd Bayless FTW

Fresh-2-Def has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
I'd say a young Marbury
Derrick Rose reminds me of a young Marbury...If you want a true point guard. Bayless is the way to go. Derrick Rose is overrated!
Fresh-2-Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Cohnman15
I hit open layups

Cohnman15 has an OK reputation so far

With the right team, I could see Mayo developing into a Roy-like player. On a disfunctional team, Mayo would become another Crawford.
Cohnman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh-2-Def
Derrick Rose reminds me of a young Marbury...If you want a true point guard. Bayless is the way to go. Derrick Rose is overrated!

seriously, he's like the anti-marbury
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!

elz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07

Your jumping to alot of conclusions

there's a difference between a player who goes out for self and a guy who only knows how to win by scoring.
Which is what I see is the true issue wit Mayo.
Your commenting like he's some self centered prick and he hasn't been around long enough and know one knows him well enough to jump to those kind of conclusions.

He should have stayed in college, everywhere this kid has gone he's been the guy. He still doesn't know how to play within the offense and dominate in others ways besides just scoring.

He's gonna be somewhat like Marbury and Steve Francis and depending on his coach and how receptive he is to coaching and criticism will determine whether he's star in this league or a underachiever whose just all hype and athleticism. He shouldn't have jumped pro yet.
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Has anyone watched Mayo play? Or are they only looking at his stats? He worked to get his teammates involved, some of them, I am looking at you Taj Gibson, have/had horrible hands.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #12
VCMVP1551

Good 3 point shooter
Volume shooter/scorer
6'4"-6'5" shooting guard who can also play some point guard
Strong defender
Questioned about his team play at times.

All of those things apply to Kobe Bryant.
All of those except for the defense apply to Jamal Crawford

Really I think he'll end up somewhere in between Kobe and Crawford. I highly doubt he'll be anywhere near as good as Kobe is but I also think he'll be a lot better than Crawford.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

Magic Johnson!
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There was a player back in the '60s that was VERY similar to OJ Mayo.

His name was H2O Mustard.

Very similar.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
Fresh-2-Def
Jerryd Bayless FTW

Fresh-2-Def has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
There was a player back in the '60s that was VERY similar to OJ Mayo.

His name was H2O Mustard.

Very similar.
Was that suppose to be funny??? Fail! Epic Fail!
Fresh-2-Def is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: