Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New Orleans Pelicans Forum

New Orleans Pelicans Forum New Orleans Pelicans message board - New Orleans Pelicans Forum

Old 05-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Default Scott expects to get extension with Hornets

NEW ORLEANS -- NBA coach of the year Byron Scott, who has the right to buy out the remainder of his contract and go to the highest bidder next season, showed little interest in leaving the Hornets on Wednesday.

"I expect to be here," Scott said. "In my mind right now I hope to be here unless something crazy happens."

The Hornets pay Scott about $3.5 million a year and the team's majority owner, George Shinn, said he intends to make a fair extension offer that would make Scott one of the highest paid coaches in the league.

"Byron has done an outstanding job for us," Shinn said. "I'm tired of flip-flopping and firing coaches. I want somebody to stay that I like. ... I'm not going to be stupid. I'll be as fair as I can to get him to stay with us."

When Scott took over as coach following the 2003-04 season, he was the Hornets' third coach in three seasons.

Most intriquing part of this article.....

Shinn said the team's top priority is a long-term extension for Paul, who would be a restricted free agent after next season. General manager Jeff Bower said the Hornets were well positioned to keep Paul because they've been preparing for it for several seasons.

Link
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Default Re: Scott expects to get extension with Hornets

Scott agrees to extension

NEW ORLEANS -- NBA coach of the year Byron Scott and the New Orleans Hornets agreed in principle to a two-year contract extension on Wednesday.

"I am very happy to sign an extension to stay here in New Orleans with the Hornets," Scott said in a statement released by the team. "We, as a team, are a piece of the community of New Orleans. We are really growing into something special and there is no other place I would rather be."

Citing team policies, the Hornets did not release the terms of the new contract.

Two people familiar with the contract confirmed the length of the deal on condition of anonymity and also told The Associated Press that it pays Scott a base of a little more than $5 million per year with incentives that could push it higher than $6 million per year. The people did not want to be identified because the Hornets had not released the contract terms.

Link
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
d_white089
Let's Go.....

Default Re: Scott expects to get extension with Hornets

Well deserved.
d_white089 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: