Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
RapsFan
Great college starter

Default Where does Rondo go next year?

He's entering his 3rd year, which is why many players take the leap. He's also going to be playing for an extension. Cassell clearly has no impact on his minutes. What can we expect from him next year? I have an option to keep Rondo using my 9th round or 8th round pick and am really considering it. To me, he's the Celtics 3rd most important player.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Fresh-2-Def
Jerryd Bayless FTW

Default Re: Where does Rondo go next year?

Yeah he gets you steals, rebounds and assists. I had him last year.
Fresh-2-Def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

He's a not that great of an option, I drafted him 8-9th round in both of my league this year and ended up dropping him. He's weak in too many pg cats, 3's, ft %, assist, points, his steals also drop from the previous season, and he's wildly inconsistent.. + the fact that Boston likes to reduce their starters mins late in the season, I'm avoiding him at all cost.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
RapsFan
Great college starter

Interesting, I think he'll be one of the biggest breakout players, for fantasy. I could be horribly wrong. 3's are so easy to come by I think. He makes up for it with the FG% and stls in my opinion. I could see 13 pts, 5+ bds, 6+ dimes, 2+ stls on close to 47%+ FG. He's also hit some 3's this playoffs. Those numbers would probably be a top 40 in terms of fantasy (the way Yahoo calculates it). OH, and he's super low turnovers for a PG.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Keeping him in the 8th or 9th round would be nice. I could see him going as high as the sixth or seventh, but where I take him will be dependent on the other PGs I take ahead of him.

The thing that I like about him are that his horrible ft% wont kill you with only a little over 2 attempts per game. I'd like to get more threes, so if I draft him I'm also looking for big threes from elsewhere (trade for JRich, Peja, even Rashard, etc).

But I think his real value comes from his assist/TO ratio. If you're playing in a league without TOs, then this idea doesnt matter, but if you DO have TOs, Rondo comes as a steal in this line of thinking (I dont have the mathematical formula for this exactly, and I know most people dont aim for succeeding in TOs anyway, but just follow me here): Deron gets you 11 dimes and 3.4 TOs per game. Rondo gets you 6 dimes and 1.7 TOs per game. So even though Rondo gets half the assists, he gets half the TOs as well. That doesnt make him as great as Deron obviously, but there's a lot of value in that formula for your team in an overall sense.

So Rondo in the seventh seems like a solid deal, as long as he at the very least maintains his numbers from this year. Any improvements just make him an even better pick IMO.
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:43 AM   #6
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh-2-Def
Yeah he gets you steals, rebounds and assists. I had him last year.
yeah, i had him as well. he's not a reliable enough scorer or passer, but he was definitely a guy who got me steals and rebounds, as well as a decent amount of assists. He would probably be filling one of my last 2 or 3 roster spots if anything but i'd take him if he were available that long.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

Keeping Rondo looks better and better every day, eh Raps? He's had a pretty remarkable Finals statline, and if he can perform under the big lights now, here's hoping he really emerges next season.
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benJAMin
Keeping Rondo looks better and better every day, eh Raps? He's had a pretty remarkable Finals statline, and if he can perform under the big lights now, here's hoping he really emerges next season.

I like him too. Tony Parker with less pts, more bds, more stls, less TOs. With Yahoo's rankings, in TO league, I am thinking top 40.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
tian820
NBA lottery pick

I don't know about top 40... but I think he will make a jump this next season. He should have the confidence to be the legit 3rd option on that team a lot of nights and he shoots a great percentage from the field (doesn't hurt to have Pierce, KG and Ray drawing double teams). He doesn't hurt you in any category and fills up a ton of them (albeit inconsistently last season). His one bad category was FT%, but he didn't shoot enough of them to hurt you and I honestly think he will improve that category a ton this offseason. I like Rondo a lot and I agree that 3's can be found at other positions.
tian820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

he'll be ranked about 130-150 but it depends on the league though...
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardBullsFan
he'll be ranked about 130-150 but it depends on the league though...

Any insight as to why you think that? That's lower then this year and the kids getting better.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: