Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation
Default Next Pistons coach?

Who are some top candidates to replace Flip Saunders when the inevitable happens…

Avery Johnson?
Jeff Van Gundy?

Who would fellow Piston fans like to see lead this team back to the NBA Finals™
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Next Pistons coach?

I've liked Avery and have wanted him ever since he left Dallas. I think he would be a perfect fit in Detroit. The problem is it sounds like he might have things nearly locked up in Chicago. I hope not because that just makes their turn around that much faster. Terry Porter would also be a pretty good choice as long as he doesn't take the Phoenix job.

I think there is one thing that is more important than a new coach though. It was my concern before this season started and is still my concern today. The Pistons obviously don't have enough down low to get it done. The Celtics have out rebounded the Pistons consitently and even Perkins has out played the Pistons big men. That is a shame. Detroit absolutely needs to address this issue. Maxiell is not the answer. He can start a little and provide some energy. I like what he's done but at the end of the day he's still only
6'9". They went out and got Ratliff which I liked but Flip has seldom used him, but when he has Ratliff has given them some quality minutes (game 2 for example). That is the one thing I blame on the coach. Other than that, Joe D needs to come up with a way to bring some youth and size to the front line. I haven't forgot about Amir either, but again he's still only 6'9". When you have teams like the Lakers who are going to have two legit 7 footers and then Odom at 6"10", it's going to take some size down low to win championships. Rasheed can't gaurd KG anymore, and we saw last year how Lebron could go to the lane at will, basically because the Pistons didn't have anybody down low that could clog things up. Our gaurds get us to the ECF every year (and would have been the finals this year if it wasn't for a Billups injury), but the missing element really is a dominant big man who plays with his back to the basket.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

From the sound of it, it looks like the Bulls may have secured Doug Collins.

From the Bulls forum: Doug Collins as new Chicago Bulls coach thread

I think Avery (and Van Gundy) are indeed waiting to see what jobs are open and they will pick and choose where they would like to go…

This team really needs the type of discipline that LB brought to the sideline. Flip is a decent guy and does pretty well with X & O's but he just doesn't demand "atttention and respect".
Old 05-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yeah, right after I made that post I got in my car and the first thing they said on ESPN radio was the Bulls hired Doug Collins. It is possible that people out there may have a feeling that the Detroit job may be available and are holding out for that. Once the Bulls got that #1 pick it became a very good position to have, not that Chicago is a bad place to coach at anyhow. Avery's system demands a great PG and he never really had one in Dallas. In Detroit he would have Chauncey and a possible future all-star PG in Stuckey. He's a defensive minded guy and Detroit has always been a team that revolves around defense. Again, in Dallas he didn't have defensive players, but he was still able to succeed in the West. I really think he would be a great fit in Detroit.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Michael Curry could be a possible successor?!?!

I heard mention on the radio this afternoon about this…

I really like Curry and he brought a hard working ethic on the court… but I would hope the Pistons at least try to interview a top tier coach before deciding on Curry

Curry would have been good for intern if Flip got fired mid season.

This is going to be one interesting summer, no doubt about that…
Old 05-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Michael Curry could be a possible successor?!?!

This is going to be one interesting summer, no doubt about that…

I hear you there. Somehow there needs to be changes to the front line. Who knows who will be the coach. We have the draft in less than a month. Detroit needs to make some changes, that's for sure. What they do exactly I don't think anybody will be able to predict.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dumars
Leadership, Respect, Accountability

These are the qualities Joe Dumars likes and sees in Michael Curry…
Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

Stephen A Smith said Curry could be named the head coach in as little as a couple of days.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #9
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation

they should get jeff van gundy
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Nothing against JVG, but I think if they go outside the organization Avery Johnson is a better fit. He's a defensive minded guy who loves to utilize a great PG. Any way around it, I think Curry already has the job. Once they iron out the wrinkles in the contract it will be announced. I would expect Saunders to land in Phoenix within the week. He would seem to be the perfect fit for what they are looking for. He's a guy who is a players coach and offensive minded like Dantoni. The perfect fit for being close to a championship and not being able to get it done. The interesting thing will be if he decides to take any of his assistants (like Porter) or if they decide to stay with Curry.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerRaptor
they should get jeff van gundy

I was hoping to hear JVG's name as one of the possible candidates, but I think maybe perhaps Van Gundy expressed he wasn't interested in returning to coaching yet? What other teams have had interviews with JVG? I am curious to see where he might go.

IF Saunders takes the vacancy at Phoenix, I imagine that Porter would go for sure. I am curious to see what assistants will be on the sideline regardless of who is coach. Cowens? Harper? What about Igor Kokoskov? I'm surprised that he was still here after Coach Brown AND Darko were gone…

Well, I hope that Avery could be our coach (with Curry as an assistant).

Otherwise, and very likely, Michael Curry is going to be the coach…

At least Dumars spoke of considering Avery…
Old 06-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

JVG did say he didn't want to return to coaching. If he did I'm sure he'd be interested in the Pistons. I've been saying for a while now (since the mavericks rumors started) that Avery would be a great fit in Detroit.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Terry Porter has accepted the Phoenix Suns job.

So according to Joe Dumars, his only candidates would include Avery Johnson amd Michael Curry…

Curry is still the name mentioned in all rumors. I will be very shocked (and a bit pleased) if Avery is announced as the coach…

I hope Michael Curry is able to have success with this team…
Old 06-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #14
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Otherwise, and very likely, Michael Curry is going to be the coach…

And so it is…

Tomorrow it becomes official…

Good Luck Coach Curry… I hope you can bring us back to the Finals!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #15
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Today Joe Dumars introduced Michael Curry as the head coach of the Detroit Pistons.

This is the 4th coach he has hired since he has been the head of basketball operations…

Dave Cowens will remain on the coaching staff thus far…

The only player present at the press conference… Rasheed Wallace
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: