Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-02-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far
Default Raptors Draft

The Raptors have the 17th pick in this years draft. I see Colangalo drafting Batum, Greene, Lopez, Hibbert, Douglas-Roberts, or Rush.

Colangalo is also eyeing guys in the second round. So the Raptors could possibly get a second round pick. Any ideas on who it is going to be and how the Raptors are going to get it.

Any ideas on if the Raptors should move up or down with the 17th pick?

Post your thoughts on the Raptors drafting situation here
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Raptors Draft

I do not want Lopez, Douglas-Roberts or Hibbert at that spot. Lopez or Hibbert I'd take a shot on if the Raptors' pick was in the mid-20's. I don't like CDR whatsoever and think there are too many better options.

I like Batum and Rush.

I don't know what to think of Greene just yet. He was a very inefficient scorer for his size and ability at Syracuse. He's not the smartest player but his athleticism, youth and size make him a tempting pick.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Fuubs
I airball my layups

Fuubs has an OK reputation so far

i like what i've seen from batum so far but if we could snag a low first round-high second round i would love to see rush in a raptors jersey.
Fuubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

17 th pick likely won't net us much. Id trade the pick in a package for an Allstar caliber player to play with Bosh....

Having said that, Id be looking at Lopez or the best Center available with that pick.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

17 th pick likely won't net us much. Id trade the pick in a package for an Allstar caliber player to play with Bosh....

Having said that, Id be looking at Lopez or the best Center available with that pick.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
pocketWs
I hit open 5-footers

pocketWs has an OK reputation so far

No disrespect but don't we already have enough offseason thread? We have atleast 14 thread on the front page alone, among them 4 about the draft.
pocketWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Student
Serious playground baller

Student has an OK reputation so far

IMO I would take Bill Walker [K-state] with the 17 if he's still there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=34658
Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student
IMO I would take Bill Walker [K-state] with the 17 if he's still there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=34658

That would be horrible. Bill Walker should not be picked in the top 20, and he might even be a bubble first rounder. He's a great talent but his work ethic and IQ have been suspect in his career.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

A guy I really want but I don't think will fall to us at 17 is Joe Alexander...Guys a workhorse..and his offence is developing nicely. Also very athletic and and coachable. However if he isn't there I could see Rush/ Batum or Lopez/Speights in a Raps uniform....the ones I will not be sold on Donte Green/CDR/Ajinca. I don't watn to see any of these guys in a Raps uniform. Green - too much bust factor...got all the tools and not enough drive...even at the NCAA level. CDR not athletic enough to play with the freakish atheletes in the NBA. Unorthidox shots will help him he's crafty..but that will only take him so far. Ajinca...thin rail not a good rebounder or shotblocker..so another Andrea but more athletic...don't need anymore of those. We'll see what happens...it's creeping up

PS Walker shouldn't be a first round pick
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Joe Alexander's athleticism is nice but he can't create his own offense well and his jump shot really isn't that good. He's very athletic even by NBA standards but the advantage he'll have won't be as great as it was at WVU. Obviously if he falls to 17 you have to take him though.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
kmart
No props needed

I think that we could get Bill Walker in the second round. He would be a good deal for us in the second round of the draft. we could give a player like Joey Grahm for a Second round pick.

Donte Greene would be a major steal for us. He should be a top ten guy with his skills and athleticism and if we could get him with the 17th pick in the draft that would be a Major STEAL.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Well, Bc said these are the possibilities

Quote:
WINGS AND GUARDS

Nicolas Batum, 6-foot-8 SF, France
Long, athletic but unpolished; solid defensive potential

Chris Douglas-Roberts, 6-7 SF-SG, Memphis
Good finisher with either hand; can get to the rim

Brandon Rush, 6-7 SF-SG, Kansas
Good scorer, but needs to improve defensively

Joe Alexander, 6-8 SF-PF, West Virginia
Unpolished offensive threat seen as more of a project

Chase Budinger, 6-7 SG-SF, Arizona
Smooth shooter comfortable coming off screens or spotting up

BIGS

Darrell Arthur, 6-9 PF, Kansas
Not a good rebounder, but a solid-scoring big man

JaVale McGee, 7-0 C Nevada
Raw, raw project. Years away from being a major contributor

Marreese Speights, 6-10 PF-C, Florida
Best attribute is his back-to-the-basket offensive game

Roy Hibbert, 7-2 C, Georgetown
Not particularly mobile for a big man, but lauded for work ethic

Alexis Ajinka, 7-0 C, France
More a mid-range shooter than low-post presence; another project
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #13
kmart
No props needed

I don't know about drafting Nicholas Batum. Raptors can't take a risk with another European player they already got Bargs to worry about an develop. Why take another risk on another European player.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #14
pocketWs
I hit open 5-footers

pocketWs has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I don't know about drafting Nicholas Batum. Raptors can't take a risk with another European player they already got Bargs to worry about an develop. Why take another risk on another European player.

Look at what the Spurs are doing, Bargs might become a terrible break for Colangelo, but that doesn't mean taking a European is riskier than most college prospects projected to go between the 15th and 20th spot.

What I would like to see happen is Colangelo moving-up in the draft, he clearly stated that he was very un-impressed with his options @ the #17 spot. We can also stipulate the inevitable dealing of Calderon or Ford and the fact that T.O. will have much cash to spend in the offseason aside from re-signing Calderon. If the Raptors can swap picks with a team holding on to a pick between the #6 to #10 spots, this could mean landing guys like Anthony Randolph (even though he's listed as a PF on many scouting reports, he has no trouble with the 3. Others could inclued Brook Lopez (If we need some diffense and rebounding at the C) or Eric Gordon (Anthony Parker could be a nice trading piece).
pocketWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #15
kmart
No props needed

I got an idea for an trade to get a better pick
To Toronto
#13 pick
#33 pick
#36 Pick
#55 Pick
Channing Frye

To Portland
17th Pick
Jose Calderon

Portland get their Point Guard they wanted in Jose & they also get a 17th pick. If you read Eric Smiths Blog on the fan590.com Byran Colangelo is working out lots of second round picks in the upcoming days. With the 13th Pick in the draft the Raptors could get a scorer they need. Raptors also get Channing Frye back who could help Bosh get boards in the post.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: