Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
StraightHustlinInTDOT
I hit open 5-footers

StraightHustlinInTDOT has not been impressing people
Default Enough with the "different game" excuse

I'm sick of everyone saying the international game is a "different game" and some idiots even say its a "different SPORT". Basketball is basketball. The closer 3pt line should actually be an advantage to the NBA players since its easier to shoot and easier to defend, since the players are so athletic. Who cares if the lane is a different shape, its not like we have a bunch of back to the basket players. This "different game" BS is just an excuse people come up with in case the US team lose. No one ever spoke of this BS when the 92 dream team were dominating teams.
StraightHustlinInTDOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Look at the competition in '92 and look at the compeition now.

Boy, you're a fu*king jerk off. You're an idiot, dude. You really are. It's people like you that make me not want to post here as much as I normally do.

Italy won the silver medal in '04. They're good. So what? We beat them. We just yanked the game away from them in the second half like a bully taking a nerd's lunch money.

Team USA is a young team, but you can see that they get it. They understand what they have to do to win. They increased the intensity in the face of adversity this morning. They tightened up their defense that people have been skeptical of. Melo dominated. We won. Bottom line.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather watch a team battle and have to prove they are the best in an intense situation than watch a bunch of blowout victories. Where is the fun in that? I, personally, am glad that the world is catching up.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #3
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Um, it is a different game, are you trying to show off how little you know about basketball? A smaller court is a DISADVANTAGE to NBA players because they have less room for Isolations, slashing, and post play, which are the most important things in the NBA game, all of a sudden become side items in int'l ball. Now the ability to hit setshots quickly, chemistry, playing a team game, and defense are the most important aspects of the game which is PRECISELY OPPOSITE from the NBA. Yes it is a different game.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Look at the competition in '92 and look at the compeition now.

Boy, you're a fu*king jerk off. You're an idiot, dude. You really are. It's people like you that make me not want to post here as much as I normally do.

Italy won the silver medal in '04. They're good. So what? We beat them. We just yanked the game away from them in the second half like a bully taking a nerd's lunch money.

Team USA is a young team, but you can see that they get it. They understand what they have to do to win. They increased the intensity in the face of adversity this morning. They tightened up their defense that people have been skeptical of. Melo dominated. We won. Bottom line.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather watch a team battle and have to prove they are the best in an intense situation than watch a bunch of blowout victories. Where is the fun in that? I, personally, am glad that the world is catching up.

People ignore how much the world has improved thier play. Dream Team in 92 was 14yrs ago. Thats more then enough time to catch up.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
kblaze
Banned

kblaze has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
Um, it is a different game, are you trying to show off how little you know about basketball? A smaller court is a DISADVANTAGE to NBA players because they have less room for Isolations, slashing, and post play, which are the most important things in the NBA game, all of a sudden become side items in int'l ball. Now the ability to hit setshots quickly, chemistry, playing a team game, and defense are the most important aspects of the game which is PRECISELY OPPOSITE from the NBA. Yes it is a different game.

Is the entire court smaller? I've always thought it was just the 3 point line that is closer.
kblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
sixty
Good High School Starter

sixty has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB

People ignore how much the world has improved thier play. Dream Team in 92 was 14yrs ago. Thats more then enough time to catch up.

Anybody watched "Dream Team" games?

One game USA was playing against an African country (I don't remember which one)... ofcourse it was a blowout... and few players from this African team came to the American bench and asked for authograms during the game .
sixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

Juvenile has no real reputation yet.

Without Melo getting in a zone the US would've had to work much harder to get the W. They won't have a player score 20 points in 10 minutes for them every game
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvenile
Without Melo getting in a zone the US would've had to work much harder to get the W. They won't have a player score 20 points in 10 minutes for them every game
They don't get down by 12 points every game either.

We shown the ability to adjust. We'll be fine.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
GothamKnight
High school junior varsity star

GothamKnight has an OK reputation so far

you guys do know that the 96 dream team destroyed everyone as well (i think the margin of victory was around 30)? it's because the best players were going. what margin of victory did we have in 2000? i think it was still around 20.

in 2004 if our best went we'd win by 20 easily. you can't compare that to the OG dream team because they did have the best, most experienced players.

i think the fact that the teams were facing play together a lot has more to do with it than anyone catching up. if our team had more time together we'd dominate
GothamKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Ricardo Tubbs has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

That doesn't apply to the '06 team. Italy was much better back then. This year's team has only 4 remaining members from that team, and only one of them even start. If this was the '04 Italian squad, they would've held on.

Quote:
in 2004 if our best went we'd win by 20 easily. you can't compare that to the OG dream team because they did have the best, most experienced players.

Now this is the excuse I'm sick of. Except for Shaq, nobody who's not in Japan right now for us would make a huge difference, and Shaq is too old to even think about playing during the offseason. Duncan? Yeah that worked great in '04. Kobe? Yeah he wouldn't take anything away from the others. Nah. No way.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #11
StraightHustlinInTDOT
I hit open 5-footers

StraightHustlinInTDOT has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11

It's people like you that are driving people off the board with your insults and elitist atitude, thinking everyone with a different opinion than you is an idiot. Calm down, go get your blood pressure checked, it's probably better if you do take some time off this board.
StraightHustlinInTDOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:42 PM   #12
GothamKnight
High school junior varsity star

GothamKnight has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Tubbs
Now this is the excuse I'm sick of. Except for Shaq, nobody who's not in Japan right now for us would make a huge difference, and Shaq is too old to even think about playing during the offseason. Duncan? Yeah that worked great in '04. Kobe? Yeah he wouldn't take anything away from the others. Nah. No way.

um Duncan, KG, Ray Allen, Michael Redd, Jason Kidd, Vince Carter?

they'd make a big difference. even just KG and Ray Allen
GothamKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #13
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightHustlinInTDOT
It's people like you that are driving people off the board with your insults and elitist atitude, thinking everyone with a different opinion than you is an idiot. Calm down, go get your blood pressure checked, it's probably better if you do take some time off this board.
People like me? You start out by calling people "idiots"...........

And it is the level of stupidity that is driving me away from the board.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:54 PM   #14
fatboy11

Quote:
That doesn't apply to the '06 team. Italy was much better back then. This year's team has only 4 remaining members from that team, and only one of them even start. If this was the '04 Italian squad, they would've held on.
Oh, they would have held on? I'm glad your brain is powerful enough to create situations that have never happened and foresee the outcome.

Those guys from the previous aren't on the team. They are irrelevant. And if they're relevant, let's start talking about what would happen if Kobe, Michael Redd, and Chauncey Billups were on the team. We can't do that though because they aren't playing.

"What if"'s don't work in sports. Only "what happened" does. "What if" isn't going to go back in time and win us a gold medal from '04. "What happened" was that we lost and now we improve the way we run things.

Game by game.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:19 PM   #15
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far
Default Damn

The world has gotten better...but not that much....the main difference is the quality of the dreateams since the first and the ameiloration of the average International player and in some cases the stars.

I mean Dream used to carry his team like Dirk and so did guys like Kukoc, vlady...etc Marcilounas and actually b4 Germany had Dirk Detlef used to dominate those Euro tourneys with HUGE numbers.

However teh results are based on teh teams even the WBC that was Toronto with SHAQ DC KEMP GH Reggier Mark PRice KJ and I think ALlan Houston....

Even that team would KILL the current U.S.A team......

Interms of age this team is about the same age as the NCAA mens U.S.A team MJ was on outta UNC or Isiah's Olympic team B4 that......

TD by himself....no he wouldn't make that much difference he's overrated anyway and I thik the Last olympics showed that but that's a seperate manour.....

You put VETS on the Olympic squad and this is a rap...how many 5+ year players on on this team? LOL The tean that lost in teh olympics was close to a good vet squad atleast starters but com-on Lamar Odom? TD..KG..T-MAc...KB8...KIDD....with PP and VC/Ray of the bench for wings....AI and CP3 at point....and Howard and MIller at the PF and C......this competition is curtains

The dream team had PRIME MJ.....CLYDE EWING, D-ROB, KaRl MALONE Charles Barkley....not only was tat a deeper era but it's just ridiculous...in 2008 these guys Wade and such will be closer to that level right now they are kids.
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: