Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation
Default Raps Buying Out Garbo

Quote:
Jorge Garbajosa may have played his last game for the Toronto Raptors.

According to Spanish media reports, the Raptors are trying negotiate a buyout of the final year of Garbajosa's contract, worth US$4.35 million.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=2403...=secStory_main

Why not just waive him?

Also wouldn't it be better to wait on this? Wait and see if his expiring contract could be the salary filler is some sort of a trade if need be. If not then you can waive him later in the offseason.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Raps Buying Out Garbo

As long as Raptors are willing to pay garbo to go and with July 1st coming?
Seems like BC got a plan going.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Agree with Funk. I thought he'd be a useful trade option as an expirer.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Agree with Funk. I thought he'd be a useful trade option as an expirer.

I don't think that Garbos Value is very high right now because he has been injured both years hes been in the NBA. Not many teams would want him right now due to how injury prone he is.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

This is retarded! Is BC getting tips from JP or something? What benefit is buying out a freakin' expiring deal? The buyout still counts against the cap and now you can't deal him!?
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
T.O.RAPS
Raptors|FC Barcelona

T.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this board

****! Garbo was one of my favourite raps to, I led myself to believe that somehow he would recoupe and bring his d, hustle, and intensity that the raps badly need...Sad news but at least there will be room made for a new player.
T.O.RAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:33 AM   #7
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Pretty unfortunate end to a super-short NBA career. I have to think with the way things have gone down and with his lack of any value, he'll more than likely be headed back home for good now.

If he's gone, Raps are losing a big chunk of what little toughness and ballsy play they actually have.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:39 AM   #8
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

very confusing. did garbo ever come back last season?

whats the point of buying out an expiring deal unless you're trying to do the guy a favor
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Perhaps Garbo just wants to go back to Spain and play, and initiated the buyout.

Garbo has had moderate success in the NBA, and one massive injury. He might feel as if he would be left out of the rotation on most NBA teams. Garbo was never quick to begin with.. maybe he foresees himself being an even slower version of himself, and doesn't want to go through another long NBA season sitting on the bench.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

If it is a favour then it had better be for a lot less then the 4.35 we owe him otherwise the favour will just hurt the Raptors. Nothing something I want to see from this team.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #11
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I don't think that Garbos Value is very high right now because he has been injured both years hes been in the NBA. Not many teams would want him right now due to how injury prone he is.

He's an expiring contract, they always have value.

He could have been out of the league 5 years and his contract would still have value.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #12
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
This is retarded! Is BC getting tips from JP or something? What benefit is buying out a freakin' expiring deal? The buyout still counts against the cap and now you can't deal him!?
No kidding. I don't understand this move at all. If they can't trade him then why not just let him ride the pine or IL and wait out his contract? Now they'll be waiting out his contract AND paying extra?

Garbajosa is a nobody. He isn't someone that the Raptors owe anything to. Unless Garbajosa has an agent that represents a ton of other players that Colangelo might be interested in, I don't understand this move. It's not my money but I still don't get it.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

The Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected poster

Completely agree with Q and RapsFan. Buying out an expiring contract makes absolutely no sense to me.

Quote:
did garbo ever come back last season?

Yeah he was back for a very short span in the beginning of the season (rode the bench though) but had another surgery which put him out for the year.

Last edited by The Italian : 06-12-2008 at 07:51 PM.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #14
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
No kidding. I don't understand this move at all. If they can't trade him then why not just let him ride the pine or IL and wait out his contract? Now they'll be waiting out his contract AND paying extra?

Garbajosa is a nobody. He isn't someone that the Raptors owe anything to. Unless Garbajosa has an agent that represents a ton of other players that Colangelo might be interested in, I don't understand this move. It's not my money but I still don't get it.

That's not how it works.

The amount the Raps will be paying him will be the number they agree to on the buyout, he won't get his full salary on top of the buyout.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

As I understand it...it has something to do with the Spnish federation and the lawsuit going on...in which they would have enough to pay his buyout also it would not count against the cap much because of the waiver he signed and insurance policy...it would count to something but not much. I'm sure when it all comes out once the lawsuit is done we'll all understand a lot more. Colangelo just doesn't do things because...there must be a reason.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: