Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Samb????

The Pistons obviously need a center. When do you guys think this kid will be able to step in and give some quality minutes? He's only 195 and he's nearly 24 years old now. I don't see him adding on much more size. So he may never be a physical big guy in the league. Typically most people who are going to make it in the league are able to come in and do so at his age. I know he's only been in the league officially a couple of years but he should be able to at least make the roster by his 3rd year in the league. I would say after next season if he can't make the roster he's another flop. At that point they need to draft
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Samb????

I haven't really kept up on him…
How did he fare in the d-league? I need to see how he did over there… when Amir was there he was like a superstar so thats how I based some of my feelings about Amir having a chance to be a good player in the NBA…
Samb needs to bulk up either way if he is to survive in the NBA… I do know last season he missed some time taking a shot to the mouth… gonna need to power up to make it in the NBA…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
Anti404
WHY SO SERIOUS

Anti404 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
He's only 195 and he's nearly 24 years old now. I don't see him adding on much more size.
If you're saying he's only 195 lbs., then either you or NBA.com is wrong; they have him listed at 7'1''/245 lbs.
Anti404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yahoo and ESPN are where he is listed at 195

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4178

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/player...e?statsId=4178

But I have been searching through as much stuff as I could and I was reading an article that says he has actually grown an inch and put on 35 pounds, although it didn't give his total weight. Let's hope he did put on some size over the last year and that nba.com is correct. Here's the link for that one too in case anyone is interested

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/cheikh_samb/index.html

Hoopedia says he is 215.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/Cheikh_Samb

Here's a pretty good article I found on him. I still can't find much of his D-league stuff, mainly just his first two games. I guess it will be tough to say whether he's going to make it in the league or not.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

He didn't play much in the D-league, he got his jaw broke and came back right away.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #6
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

samb is a long shotblocker who can run the floor and rebound on both ends. not much offensive skill at this point so he isn't more than a backup. intriguing thing is that he hasn't been playing basketball very long and has improved tremendously in a short time. flip saunders said he hasn't been playing long enough to learn bad habits.

we'll see. he's a better asset on the roster than mo evans was thats for sure.

Last edited by final.wrath : 06-17-2008 at 05:34 AM.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Here's a pretty good article I found on him. I still can't find much of his D-league stuff, mainly just his first two games. I guess it will be tough to say whether he's going to make it in the league or not.
as I recall he got a serious facial injury and hardly played. looked real good in his first game I remember.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

That would be too bad if he didn't play much. That would have been very valuable experience for him.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
dd24
College superstar

Well, it looks like the rumors today answered my questions about him.

Quote:
Impressive shooting range is only part of Cheikh Samb's game that has blossomed at a rate the Pistons did not envision when they traded Mo Evans to the Los Angeles Lakers for the rights to Samb, a second-round pick in 2006. Detroit anticipated keeping Samb overseas for a couple seasons, and then maybe bring him to the United States for additional seasoning in the Development League. Michigan Live

However, Samb's learning curve has exceeded such modest expectations, creating a very real possibility that the 23-year-old might crack the Pistons' regular rotation next season. In addition to playing well during his time in the D-League, Samb also has impressed team officials with his work ethic this summer. Michigan Live

On Cheikh Samb: Dumars said he has no intentions of trading away the young big man who will get an opportunity to showcase his skills beginning Friday night as Detroit's summer league team plays the Los Angeles Lakers' summer-league entry. Michigan Live
Old 07-11-2008, 11:36 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Maybe with the roster the way it is having Samb and Johnson as our centers will help out enough to get us to the finals again. I'm not saying they would be major contributors but they could be nice pieces off the bench to provide some length inside.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: