Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Seattle SuperSonics Forum

Seattle SuperSonics Forum Seattle Supersonics message board - sonics fan forum

Old 06-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default sonics vs the city of seattle trial

sonics vs city of seattle: drama from the first day june 16 in the am

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basket...tle_trial.html

this is going to be one ugly airing out

bad for everyone-- especially the nba

i am going to get the popcorn and the scotch
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: sonics vs the city of seattle trial

day 2

the drama continues

bennett admits on the stand that he knew that the lease was a money loser. this is to the advantage of the city

follow the action at a blog that is updated at each step:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91810
Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

The Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected poster

How long is this trial supposed to go on for?

The Sonics better stay in Seattle. If I am ever able to watch a game Seattle is the only place that is close to where I live. I hope they stay.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italian
How long is this trial supposed to go on for?

The Sonics better stay in Seattle. If I am ever able to watch a game Seattle is the only place that is close to where I live. I hope they stay.

it ends tomorrow i believe; verdict next week
Old 06-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

from day three:

"It's difficult for me to be here, can't go to games. I'm not a real popular guy here."

uhhh yeah clay you fu(king dipsh!t

there are other gems:

Clay Bennett expressed regret that he did not get an arena in Seattle and his vision for the Sonics didn't succeed here. PBC lawyer Brad Keller allowed Bennett to point out the positives of relocations and the negatives and pitfalls of being a lame-duck team for two seasons in Seattle.
Here are some key points:

*Bennett said a study showed that the Sonics would make $7 million in year one in OKC and $10 million in year two.
When asked why the team would flourish at a rebuilt arena in Oklahoma, Bennett pointed out:
*Closeness to the court and premium seating is prime real estate
*New courtside suite product that has been developed at new arenas that would occur in OKC
*The new arena would "extract higher revenue that I had been referring to."
*More amenities in the (new) building
*Funding mechanisms in the construction of the building
*The OKC team would have "support of the community, the Hornets enjoyed sellout crowds and wildly enthusiastic support."

Why he needs to leave Seattle now? Bennett said:

*NBA is a highly competitive league
*Free agency -- "Players can choose where they want to play and we are in uncertainty and that is a very difficult element into developing a team. Want to know where their families are going to be, where they are going to practice, where their kids are going to go to school."
*Bennett said he has had very important talent in the organization leave because of the uncertainty
*Bennett wondered, "How do we market this team? How do we attract sponsors for this team for two years?"
*He adds that sponsorship is so competitive could be worth as much as $20 million
Bennett then adds: "It's difficult for me to be here, can't go to games. I'm not a real popular guy here."
"We bought this team with grand visions for success and did weeverything right? No we didn't. Did we understand everything there was to understand? We did not. ... I believed in the bottom of my heart we would succeed and I am disappointed we did not."
The defense finishes with its questioning of Bennett and the city is now cross-examining
Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

and day four:

here is some of the testimony:

In talking with city attorney Jeffrey Johnson, noted economist Lon Hatamiya who said the Sonics have an average economic impact of $187,842,290 on the Puget Sound area Hatamiya uses multipliers, meaning that money is spent by the fan to a consumer and then spent again and again.

"I took a very conservative approach, taking only half of the players salaries into the economy," he tells Johnson,

In his study, Hatamiya considered the:
*Seattle metropolitan area King and Snohomish counties
*Contributions the Sonics players, fans etc. make to the economy, not only the expenditures
*Once the dollar is spent it multiplies many times over
Hatamiya also added:
*The Sonics support 1,200 to 1,300 full- and part-time times per year
*The Sonics expenditures create jobs

In his study, Hatamita said the Sonics have generated the following "Additional Household Income for Seattle"

2003 $25,605,592
2004 $25,890,767
2005 $26.290,305
2006 $25,330,701

2007 $25,994,647

Hatamiya said in Clay Bennett's "Sonics Relocation Proposal" that he presented to the state legislature in Oklahoma, he used the same multipliers as Hatamiya used
*Bennett said the total annual economic impact for a new team in Oklahoma would be $171,737,588
When asked where the Seattle Sonics dollar will go if the Sonics leave, "It may go away, there's no certainty that money will be continued to spent. Much of that impact will shift to Oklahoma City."

Johnson finished questioning

more at: http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/sonicstrial/
Old 06-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

I thought that they were going to wrap everything up this week. How are things looking?
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
$14.98
I airball my layups

$14.98 has an OK reputation so far

I don't watch TV. Please someone post a link of the verdict! I am so anxious.
$14.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Ian
Ahh, buck it.

Ian has decent reputation

I believe the judge announces the verdict next week.

I'll be surprised if it moves. I mean...OK City? Come on..
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
sbuxsux
Can barely lace up my sneakers

sbuxsux has decent reputationsbuxsux has decent reputation

Thanks RBP for keeping folks up to date on the trial! The rally was a huge success - an estimated 2500-3500 people were there, along with GP, Xman and Spencer Hawes.

SOME ARTICLES:
3,000 rally loud and proud to keep Sonics in Seattle:
Sonics greats Payton, McDaniel address throng at courthouse
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basket...6_rally17.html

And, we're finally getting more coverage by national news:

Sonics' future in Seattle to be decided in court this week
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3445034

Seattle fans not yet giving up on Sonics
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8...g-up-on-Sonics

YOUTUBE:
Check out YouTube - there's a bunch of "Sonics Rally" videos on there. Here's a sampling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPclpWvvo-Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAp2OLQYVfI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS3SRiEmllw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmNeMwp_wLg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsEz_z1S9C8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naNW5nkMlSc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCYpEdanBME

Great slide show:
"Save Our Sonics - Rally @ the Courthouse"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPclpWvvo-Y

TRIAL:
Verdict will be read at 4pm on Wed July 2.

Info on the trial can be read on the US Dist Court's website at:

http://www.wawd.uscourts.gov/SonicsCase01.htm

From the Public Info PDF on the Court's website, here's a good, to-the-point summary of the heart of the case:
2. Summary of Case # C071620MJP, City of Seattle v. Professional Basketball Club LLC - - - - - The City of Seattle ("the City") has sued the Professional Basketball Club, LLC ("PBC"), in an effort to enforce the terms of a lease that requires the Seattle Supersonics to play all of its home games at KeyArena through the 20092010 NBA season. The City seeks the remedy of specific performance rather than money damages from this Court, and is asking this Court to enter a declaratory judgment ordering the Supersonics to play at
KeyArena for the next two NBA seasons. PBC responds by arguing that the facts and circumstances of this case do not justify specific performance, and seeks to pay its financial obligations to the City under the lease and thereafter be released from it.

SAVEOURSONICS!!!
Also, SonicsCentral, the blog for SaveOurSonics has up to date discussions about the trial, the draft and other issues about the team.

http://www.sonicscentral.com
sbuxsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #11
$14.98
I airball my layups

$14.98 has an OK reputation so far

The official date of the verdict is:

Wednesday July 2, 2008 at 4 pm PAC time.

We shall see...we shall see...
$14.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qV4QLK...eature=related

(thanks 14.98)
Old 07-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

here ya go:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93914
Old 07-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #14
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

they settled...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94277

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=1#post1991610
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: