Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 06-18-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Petteri Koponen

http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com...n-up-next.html

The bottom half of the article talks about his development, and it gets me excited. First, I didn't realize he is 6'5". A 6'5" PURE point guard. Thats rare. I hope he could become our answer at the point. As it says in the article, we'll know more once summer league starts.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Petteri Koponen

That blog definitly makes me excited but I wouldn't read too much into it. It is Mike Barrett, a major homer.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Myth

Trust me, I know. The part that made me most excited though was the objective part of it about Koponen being 6'5". That is a big PG, and I like big PGs.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Yeah, it makes me excited too but he is only 185. Jarrett Jack and Steve Blake are both 6'3". Blake I think is 195 and Jack is about 210.

So just like all other foriegn players, he needs to bulk up but that'll be easy. If Portland could get Oden to a strong 300+ then I'm sure they can get Petteri to 215.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Myth

Yeah, getting thicker is certainly easier than getting taller.

As many here are probably aware of, I'm not big on Sergio Rodriguez, so I'd be happy if KP saw enough in Koponen to give him Sergio's spot. I would assume Blake is a good guy to keep around if we go the developing a PG route rather than trading for one.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #6
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Might be worth a look, to a few...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hawk6265
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
Myth

Yeah, I've watched a few of those. They are hard to tell anything from them. I would prefer they showed us the bad things they did. You can learn more about them from their mistakes.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
JordanL

It just seems like it would be too good to be true:

A 6'5" pure PG with a huge upside, room to grow, and under 21? That completely fills our only hole at PG?

If Petteri can fill that spot, we're so set it's incredible. We'd still need to move pieces around a bit... but damn...
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

Dang it, this is REALLY making me want to schedule leave and go down to Vegas next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
Poormansmailman
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I'm from Finland so I have seen Petteri play many times and I'm gonna have to tell you guys not get your hopes up, atleast for this season. It's true that Petteri has developed tremendoulsy, but I don't think his ready for the big leagues yet.

Offensively maybe, he's a good ballhandler, pretty good shooter, has a very good court vision and he controls the offense like he had played for years.
He's biggest weakness is on the defensive end. As stated before, he's tall for his position, but has a weak upper body and there is no way his lateral quickness is good enough to keep up with Pauls and other quick point guards.

On a positive note, I believe his biggest strength is his passion for the game and his heart. This season in Finland he injured his thumb during the playoffs and missed the first three games of the finals. He checked in to the game for first time in the fourth quater of the game 4 (best of 5 here) and completely changed the game. His team had played out contorl for the whole finals, but when Petteri checked in he just took ball and their offense started to click immediately. He could have very well just sit and not to further risk his injury, but he played and thats something I personally value very high.

If you are intersted here's the statical improvement he did in the last two seasons:

07-08
min 35.5 fg% 56.5 3p% 43.4 ft% 77.9 rpg 3.3 ast4.1 to 3 stl 1.8 ppg 18.4

06-07
min 31.6 fg% 54.2 3p% 39.2 ft% 84.1 rpg 2.4 ast 3.7 to 3 stl 1.7 ppg 12.5
Poormansmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
Myth

Dang, must be no D around the baskets in that league (I make this assumption based on his 56.5% fg). Thanks for the info btw. I don't think its as important now that we have Bayless. Maybe when its time for Blake to move on, then Petteri will be a valuable backup PG.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Mr. V
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poormansmailman
I'm from Finland so I have seen Petteri play many times and I'm gonna have to tell you guys not get your hopes up, atleast for this season. It's true that Petteri has developed tremendoulsy, but I don't think his ready for the big leagues yet.
Yeah Im from Finland too and Im with Poormansmailman on this one. I cant wait for the summerleagues to start so I can see where Koponen is at, but what I saw during the season I doupt that hes ready to be a backup pg for your team. I really dontt know. Maybe hell surprise people. All I know is that the coaching staff is impressed so far whitch means that hes been working his butt off.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #13
Finn T-Mac
Great young streetballer

Ok, this seems like a Finnish reunion, cause I'm also. Here comes the reality. It's time for Koponen to enter the NBA this season, cause otherwise it seems like the time is up for him. There is no reason to play in Finland anymore and even if Portland won't use him as a backup it's very important to use the knowledge what you get from veteran players in Portland practise.

Koponen really is a pure pg and can be a good playmaker, and can only get better. He has gotten bigger, which affected his shooting early on. Still the largest minus for him is that he is still too soft and has to learn more D. Otherwise, no matter what others seem to say, I would take him cause the upside is so good in him that with good coaching he can be a good pg. He needs more professional coaching than in here.
Finn T-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Well, he'll get good point guard coaching in Portland. Nate McMillian is arguably one of the best point guards to ever play in the North West.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:49 AM   #15
Finn T-Mac
Great young streetballer

Quote:
On a more intriguing note, Pritchard said he has not ruled out signing Finnish point guard Petteri Koponen to occupy the final roster spot on the Blazers. Koponen, a first-round pick in the 2007 draft, played in Finland last season and will be the starting point guard in Las Vegas. Koponen is a big point guard at 6-foot-4, and has been in Portland for about three weeks, working out at the Blazers facility,

"He has looked good,'' Pritchard said, raising his eyebrows. "He has really improved. If he does a good job (at Summer League), I might sew him up and bring him over. We will see.''

Just an update if someone haven't read this one.

www.oregonlive.com/oregonian
Finn T-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: