Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Washington Wizards Forum

Washington Wizards Forum Washington Wizards forum - Washington Wizards message board

Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Wiz 2008
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Wiz 2008 has an OK reputation so far
Default Report Gibert Arenas to resign with the Wizards

There is a report in the N.Y. Dailey News by Mitch Lawrence that the Wizards have Secretly resigned Gilbert Arenas to a new deal according to a friend of GM Ernie Grunfeld. If this is true is is good news for Wizard fans.Ivan Carter of the Washington Post says it isn't true but you never know.

Last edited by Wiz 2008 : 06-24-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Wiz 2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
steve

steve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Report Gibert Arenas to resign with the Wizards

If it's true then the Wizards would be in violation of a few rules and would be punished quite significantly for them, so I doubt anything is in place yet.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
Koop1
Great young streetballer

Koop1 has an OK reputation so far

HOPEFULLY he will resign
the East is getting even stronger, and they will need Gilbert with every other team in the East getting stronger
Koop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
steve

steve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputationsteve has a terrific reputation

It's been reported that the Wizards are prepared to offer him a six year, $100 million contract when free agency begins at midnight.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Jordandunk23
Rockets

Jordandunk23 has decent reputationJordandunk23 has decent reputation

what do you guys think of his contract. 6 years for over $100 million? it seems like what Gilbert was looking for. thats that kobe, tracy, etc.. type money. thats the amount of money you pay for a guy that gets you 28 a game so it seems fair IMO.

so im guessing his contract pays out around 15-16-17-18-19-20 for the next six years...
Jordandunk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #6
babybulls85
I brick open layups

babybulls85 has an OK reputation so far

I heard he got a 6 yrs 127 million offer from the Wizards, you guys can not be happy about that its gonna kill your team/salary cap flexibility for the next 6 yrs
babybulls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 AM   #7
steve

Ivan Carter of the Washington Post is reporting that the offer is officially on the table and it's between $125 and $127 million depending on what the final salary cap figures are going to be. It was also stressed to Arenas that while they are willing to offer him a Max contract that if they want to make progress in the future that he'll need to take a much smaller contract than the Max. So the ball's in Arenas court, so to speak.

There was also a report that they're trying to structure Jamison's contract in such way that would lower his earnings in the first three years and then increase relatively significantly in the four year (meaning that it would start at under $10 million in the first year and then have a slight increase over the first three years before ballooning up to over $15 million in the last year). I'm not how that works within the confines of the CBA, but it would definitely help in two years when they could potentially have cap space to make a significant move (which is a rather large assumption at this point, considering what could happen with Arenas, otherwise they'll have to use Tweedle Dee, Tweedle Dum, and Daniels as trade bait to land someone).
Old 07-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordandunk23
what do you guys think of his contract. 6 years for over $100 million? it seems like what Gilbert was looking for. thats that kobe, tracy, etc.. type money. thats the amount of money you pay for a guy that gets you 28 a game so it seems fair IMO.

so im guessing his contract pays out around 15-16-17-18-19-20 for the next six years...

28 a game doesn't mean as much when it's on 42% shooting, no D, and a negative impact on the amount of wins your team manages. I dislike Kobe and T-mac...but Gilbert is very far from their level.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Jordandunk23
Rockets

Jordandunk23 has decent reputationJordandunk23 has decent reputation

yeah i know what you mean but arenas brings more than that. he brings in money for the wiz and nationwide recognition. his playing styles draws crowds and bring the wiz money. no im not the biggest fan of arenas and i thought he was going to take a paycut but what could washington do? their nowhere close to being a contender and they cant really make anymoves that will transcend them to that. you could argue that they could have tried to bring another free agent or wait for another season but that would indicate rebuilding...

is he overpaid? yeah but alot of players are... i think its a good move.
Jordandunk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
Koop1
Great young streetballer

Koop1 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valliant13
28 a game doesn't mean as much when it's on 42% shooting, no D, and a negative impact on the amount of wins your team manages. I dislike Kobe and T-mac...but Gilbert is very far from their level.

LOLL
how is Gilbert That Far from the level of Kobe And T-mac
he has the skill set imo, it is just a matter of him putting his skills to use ON A REGULAR BASIS OF HELPING HIS TEAM-MATES out
Arenas Can score with ANYBODY IN THE NBA
Koop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: