Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-25-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
Maniak
TJ Warren

Default Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors...

Its official, Jermaine O'Neal is coming to the Toronto Raptors for TJ Ford and Rasho Nesterovic(yes i know i spelled his last name wrong). Also included in the deal is the #17 pick.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think this might help us abit, seeing as our front court is now pretty beasty.

Although, I have to admit its terrible that we lost the draft pick, there is sooo much potential in this draft.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;...yhoo&type=lgns

Article there...

-Maniak
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors...

I really hope that J.O. can stay healthy and be solid in the middle... cause I want to see Bosh succeed as a Raptor.....
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 AM   #3
bluerap
Local High School Star

I'm loving it.
#17 is not that big of a deal. Look back at history, not too many all stars drafted that low.
JO is an allstar. Fills the toughest position in the league to fill, is still very young and adds the rebounder/shot locker we have always been missing. As boston showed you need allstar calibre players to win. We now have 2, potentially 3 with calderon. We are, realistically, one player away from being a big contender.
My question - if bargs isn't traded, and he probably won't be, does he move back to the 3?

JO
Bosh, Hump
Bargs, Moon
Delfino, Kapono
Calderon
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Bargnani cannot play SF. He either is the first big off the bench playing 20 minutes per game or he gets traded.

Mike Miller at SG anyone?
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
Burgz
Banned

not official, must wait until July 9th, until the deal can officially go through.

source:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3461029

this isnt denial, its a done deal

Q, mike miller is one of my favourite SCORERS in the league, but he hasn't really always shown a commitment to defense. HOWEVER, playing with USA last summer, it looks as though he is a solid defender when he choses to be. If we can grab him and maybe acquire a 2nd round pick to get another athlete on the wing, i think we could have something going here.

PLEASE J.O. STAY HEALTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I wouldn't be TOO worried about Miller's defense since Moon, Bosh and O'Neal would all be in the starting lineup with him. That's a pretty damn nice 2nd line of defense. Miller is a great shooter, good ball handler and passer and good rebounder. It's inevitable that Memphis dumps him sometime soon. I just wonder what the price would be.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
ejeezy
I airball my layups

why would you make a new thread about this?
ejeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 AM   #8
kmart
No props needed

J.O fills in a big need down the middle with his game, but now the concerns is injuries getting a athletic swingman that can take it to the rim. We'll be a half court offense now getting the ball down low, I think this really opens up Jason Kapono and will make him more affective i don't know how we will get a penetrator because we traded our pick.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:18 AM   #9
bluerap
Local High School Star

i think mike miller will probably be traded mid-season. And memphis will want young players, draft picks and expiring contracts.
We have expiring contracts and draft picks, may be enough to get it done and i think he may be the best fit for us at the 2. That would be a very solid team.

JO/Bargs
Bosh/Hump
Moon/Kapono
Miller/Delfino
Jose/Ukic?
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #10
New Rap City
Pickin' and poppin'

few thoughts...JO is a great pickup...TJ is an injury risk and has a longer contract...JO with only 2 years left = not alot of risk or downside, if he doesn't work out, not like he has a randolf sized contract. I think his latest injuries has been more shaq like and if Indiana did better, you would of seen him play more...

Mike Miller - I love his game, and one thing that is lost, he is a great rebounder too...please somehow steal him away "gasol" style from memphis

Go raps!
New Rap City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
new noise
madvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Rap City
few thoughts...JO is a great pickup...TJ is an injury risk and has a longer contract...JO with only 2 years left = not alot of risk or downside, if he doesn't work out, not like he has a randolf sized contract. I think his latest injuries has been more shaq like and if Indiana did better, you would of seen him play more...

That's exactly why it's a great trade. Raptors fill a huge need for these next two years, and if JO plays up to where he can, he's re-signed. If not, the team has a lot of money in a summer with a nice free agent pool.

I'm excited about this, although reservedly so. I think we're going to like O'Neal and without the injuries it'd be a slam dunk. I would've rather gone for Maggette, but the risk/reward with this one along with the length of the contract makes it the best move, and I'm sure BC had that in mind.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
Student
Serious playground baller

Welcome J.O
Why does everyone have Kapono coming off the pine...in my eyes with the new lineup he is a starter. He would be able to stretch the floor and gives us that shooting threat.
Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #13
Good Old Willy
DBDs

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/449548

Only because it is BC at the helm am I not freaking out. BC better make sure this works, because this is the most significant move of his tenure, even ahead the Bargs pick and the Ford for Villanueva trade.

I hope I can learn to like JO as a Rap, cause he is on Notice! Currently on the Big Pooping Puppy List.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
Chrispbosh4
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
I'm loving it.
#17 is not that big of a deal. Look back at history, not too many all stars drafted that low.
JO is an allstar.

Jermaine Oneal was drafted 17th overall in 1996, btw. Other noteable recent names in the past 5 years are Danny Granger (definately looking like an all star) and Josh Smith(duh).

Quote me on this: In the National Basketball Association, Jermaine O'neal will never be an all star again. Unless of course, YE faithful with this trade belive he will overplay CB4
Chrispbosh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
Chrispbosh4
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
Ukic?

Probably not coming over this year, believe it when you hear it from a proper source and not some european news site, or rumour site. If we listened to all this crud, Anthony Parker would already signed to play in Greece
Chrispbosh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: