Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-29-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default Beasley will disappoint, Wade/Riley wanted Mayo (speculation)

He's not a two way player. Described as "horrible" defensively since his high school days, some optimistic fans and scouts chalk this up to youthful inexperience. Probably better suited at the 3, Beasley will be forced to guard PFs due to his lack of lateral quickness and overall disinterest in the defensive part of the game. His matchups will be able to take advantage of his smaller size, and he has never shown a knack for blocking shots or keeping his man from getting post position. I expect opposing teams to go at him early and often, which will stunt his playing time and hurt his chances of nearing the stat averages Heat fans will expect.

Lacks focus and work ethic, interupting his coaches during practice, treating everything as a joke, and notably couldn't even get through the filming of his 20 second draft day intro spot. Once he quit doing weight training because he complained he would catch a cold in the school gym due to poor heating. And we all heard the story about the autographing random objects which led to his expulsion when he spitefully did one on the principles car after he had been disciplined.
This kind of "center of attention" attitude carried onto the court and cost his team in the form of turnovers and bad shots over triple teams. Also a noticeable lack of interest in the defensive end, presumably because theres not as much tangible glory in it. He mused that Miami wanted to figure out if he was crazy in their interviews.

Dwyane Wade had an instant connection with Mayo that I don't think was a trojan horse rumor. They were ideal backcourt partners. In my opinion Riley wanted to pick Mayo at #2, but his staff convinced him to get Beasley so he could get more value in a trade for OJ. They were banking on Memphis being more interested in Beasley than Mayo, but even the spotty-record GM Chris Wallace could smell Mike B wasn't the franchise player he was billed as. That sucks for Miami.

For his sake and the league's sake, I hope I'm wrong about Beasley. But I don't think so, he's a one way player and its up in the air how he will take being the 3rd man behind Wade and Marion. Its interesting how infrequently Beasley's defensive problems are mentioned, though they are an obvious sore spot in his game. I guess we'll see next year. But I think Riley is pissssed he's stuck with this guy when he and his star player wanted Mayo.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:59 AM   #2
stewen12
Banned

stewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation herestewen12 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Beasley will disappoint, Wade/Riley wanted Mayo (speculation)

nice post, although i dont agree. His size is made up for with his 35 inch vert. And his offense alone could make him a star in this league e.g. Dirk
stewen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
final.wrath
Banned

dirk was never billed as a franchise guy so he exceeded expectations. also, he's a legit 7 footer and much better shooter.

my main point is that beasley will not be a franchise player, even on the level of someone like carmelo anthony. IMO his best chance is to lose a little weight and hopefully add the quickness he needs to play at SF.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
Eldrunko247
Good college starter

Eldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat cool

well they should have picked mayo then..this doesn't make any sense. if they banked on some trade or whatever they gambled wrong.
Eldrunko247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here

yeah, i dont think wade is gonna like playing with beasley at all.

and i love how riles covered his basis by saying in the interview "my scouts convinced me that he was just too good to pass up" just so everyone knows that if he doesnt pan out, he wasnt riley's guy in the first place

and i agree that this guy is way too immature to be handed a 7 million dollar check. i really think he's going to be a bigger regret than reward for miami or whatever team that may trade for him.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #6
RajonKGcelts
Time to repeat

RajonKGcelts is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
dirk was never billed as a franchise guy so he exceeded expectations. also, he's a legit 7 footer and much better shooter.

my main point is that beasley will not be a franchise player, even on the level of someone like carmelo anthony. IMO his best chance is to lose a little weight and hopefully add the quickness he needs to play at SF.

I agree, but the good thing is he doesn't need to be that franchise player with Wade around. Either way, im excited to see how he plays
RajonKGcelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:23 AM   #7
SIRI1

SIRI1 has decent reputationSIRI1 has decent reputation

Pat Riley's staff had to talk him into drafting Caron Bultler in 2002 over Riley's preferred choice of Jared Jefferies. That same staff had to convince him once again in 2003 to take Dwyane Wade over Riley's preferred choice of Chris Kaman. Sounds like a pretty good staff to listen to.

And read this article which goes over his supposed character issues

http://www.kansas.com/248/story/421117.html
SIRI1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
final.wrath
Banned

yeah but this is different than butler over jeffries or wade over kaman. beasley is the worst kind of tweener and he has signifigant problems with defense.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:28 AM   #9
SIRI1

SIRI1 has decent reputationSIRI1 has decent reputation

Quote:
yeah but this is different than butler over jeffries or wade over kaman. beasley is the worst kind of tweener and he has signifigant problems with defense.
He's 6-8 in shoes and has a standing reach of a 7-1 guy. That should be more than enough to play PF.

He wont be the prototypical low post threat but he'll be that Carlos Boozer/ Davd West type high post PF, and has more range then those 2.

His game also meshes perfectly with Wade, who's one of the best pick and rolls players in the league. With Beasley's range, you can pick and roll from anywhere on the court with those two.
SIRI1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:30 AM   #10
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

I agree I think Riley really wanted Mayo but in the last days decided to go with the "Safe Choice"
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 AM   #11
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

It's always different.

Beasley will be a solid 12 and 7 guy next year (at worst), and his rebounding is all the defense we need. Especially when we have two of the best help defenders for their position in Wade and Marion.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #12
final.wrath
Banned

6'8 in shoes is not good for PF. his wingspan is average and he doesn't have the shotblocking of a maxiell, ben wallace, or millsap that help to offset this.

saying he has the standing reach of a 7'1 guy is badly worded, u mean he has a 7'1 reach. his opponents will have a higher reach 90% of the time. his athleticism will help but theres no getting around the fact that he's undersized.

and i'm pretty sure west and boozer would make him look small.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:40 AM   #13
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Dengness9 is considered somewhat coolDengness9 is considered somewhat cool

I totally agree with wrath for the most part. I just want to know if the Heat are truly thinking about trading him.

Where do u guys see him being traded if anywhere?
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:41 AM   #14
final.wrath
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
It's always different.

Beasley will be a solid 12 and 7 guy next year (at worst), and his rebounding is all the defense we need. Especially when we have two of the best help defenders for their position in Wade and Marion.

no his rebounding is not all the D you need, marion is going to come and help every time he's posted up and there will be a wide open shooter on the outside.

I think riley will eventually make Marion guard the 4's fulltime since its better to get beat off the dribble on the outside than get let beasley get abused down low and foul out quickly.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:46 AM   #15
plowking
well DENG

plowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterplowking is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You do realise Beasley is 240lbs, don't you? He is most likely going to put on about 15 more if he is playing the 4. He will be 255lbs and 6'8, how will he be undersized?

Look at todays PF and tell me how he is undersized.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: