Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Can we snag Corey Maggette?

He was only due 7 mill had he not opted out of his contract and in addition the Clippers are not gonna be a legit contender in the West. I'm just wondering if it is a legit possibility for us to bring him to Toronto.

edit: looking at some old Toronto Sun articles, BC tried to swing a deal earlier this year to send TJ or Jose for Maggette so you have to think he will definitely make some kind of run at him.

Last edited by bokes15 : 07-01-2008 at 01:02 PM.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Can we snag Corey Maggette?

Maggette will re-sign with the Clips (unlikely) or will sign for the MLE, or a sign and trade (unlikely). We have nothing to offer in a sign and trade, and the Clips are making a run at Baron Davis, so they don't want more salary. For Maggette to accept the MLE, it will only be to cities he wants to go to. Read Orlando has a great chance to get him.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Financially we do have pieces to trade, Parker, Delfino, Graham, etc. Not that they would be particularly interested in them, but hey with Colangelo at the reigns i'm not counting anything out.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Colangelo isn't a magician. That platter of scraps you listed isn't getting Cory Maggette. And it really looks like the Clips want him to just walk so they can throw a big deal at a marquee FA and re-sign Brand.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Colangelo isn't a magician. That platter of scraps you listed isn't getting Cory Maggette. And it really looks like the Clips want him to just walk so they can throw a big deal at a marquee FA and re-sign Brand.
So far his resume with us:

Ended our playoff drought.
Got rid of Rafael Araujo for a solid contributer in Humphries.
Brought Jermaine O'neal to Toronto for next to nothing.
Discovered Jamario Moon
Snagged a team of Euro players that nobody knew about.
Put confidence in Bosh as the franchise.
Picked up the pieces from the franchise that the previous gm ruined.

That statement is debatable.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
RapsFan
Great college starter

Clearly you're one of the BC is God raptor fans.

We gave up a lot to get JO and his $20+ mill salary. Indy was dying to get rid of him. He spent the entire MLE on Kapono, he 'used' $12 mill in cap space 2 years ago on Garbajosa, Parker and Fred Jones. He also drafted Bargnani ahead of Gay, Roy and Aldridge. Bosh was already the franchise. I doubt BC discovered Moon himself and the Euro experiment isn't exactly on fire.

He is a good GM, but let's not get carried away.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Clearly you're one of the BC is God raptor fans.

We gave up a lot to get JO and his $20+ mill salary. Indy was dying to get rid of him. He spent the entire MLE on Kapono, he 'used' $12 mill in cap space 2 years ago on Garbajosa, Parker and Fred Jones. He also drafted Bargnani ahead of Gay, Roy and Aldridge. Bosh was already the franchise. I doubt BC discovered Moon himself and the Euro experiment isn't exactly on fire.

He is a good GM, but let's not get carried away.
I wouldn't call Hibbert, a 32 year old Rasho and TJ Ford "a lot" to get JO. The Celtics by your definition gave up a lot to get Kevin Garnett and that seems to have worked out for them. I'm not saying Colangelo is perfect but he's a great GM. It's easy to look back and talk about draft mistakes in retrospect but would you have taken Roy or Gay at #1? He could've picked Aldridge because a big was definitely our need at the time, but Roy was chosen 6th and Gay 8th so obviously mutiple teams below us didn't think they were number 1 picks either.

Also, i'd say that producing a team that immediately took us from an Atlantic Division bottom feeder to the Atlantic Division champions with a 47-35 record is no small accomplishment. But hey, what do I know?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Also, Colangelo was given pretty much a clean slate to start of with by Babcock/Embry. Cap space and the number 1 pick. Not exactly an overwhelmingly bad situation.

Also:
Quote:
Brought Jermaine O'neal to Toronto for next to nothing.

If Ford, Rasho and a 1st rounder is next to nothing, what makes you think that our mediocre wing players are anything of value?
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Also, Colangelo was given pretty much a clean slate to start of with by Babcock/Embry. Cap space and the number 1 pick. Not exactly an overwhelmingly bad situation.

Also:

If Ford, Rasho and a 1st rounder is next to nothing, what makes you think that our mediocre wing players are anything of value?
When I say next to nothing, I meant more in terms of what it takes to get a potential 20/10 big in this league. I love Rasho as much as the next guy and he's solid but hes no JO. and then you take him out of the equation and think about a TJ for JO trade straight up and tell me if you think they have the advantage. Yeah BC had a good situation but having a good situation doesn't guarantee that you'll make good decisions. It's like people who say that Phil Jackson is a ****ty coach because he always coaches good players.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. IMO a good starting PG in the league, cap relief and a 17th pick (opinions differ on Hibbert) is well worth a health risk who Indiana was trying to get off the books for some time anyway. I like the trade for the Raptors, I just believe the Pacers got good value as well.

As far as BC's decision making goes, that can be debatable as well. Going back to RapsFan's posts, he's pretty much only hit on Parker as far as his significant free agents go. The whole Bargnani thing so far looks like a bust. He has made more positive moves than negative but magician? I don't think so. The big win turnaround was nice but the East was weak that year and more so our division (11-5 record).
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

Valid points. I actually wanted Aldridge but I did understand where BC was coming from when he made that pick. I'm not even saying that Indiana got a bad deal, but what I am saying is that we got a player that can help us win now.. a game changer. There aren't many pg's that instantly make a team a title serious contender (single handedly). In fact, look at the teams who have been winning it all in this decade (LA, SA, Mia) and none of those teams had their best player being the pg. 20/10 bigs are harder to come by than 14/7 pg's. So yeah agree to disagree.

Last edited by bokes15 : 07-01-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
When I say next to nothing, I meant more in terms of what it takes to get a potential 20/10 big in this league. I love Rasho as much as the next guy and he's solid but hes no JO. and then you take him out of the equation and think about a TJ for JO trade straight up and tell me if you think they have the advantage. Yeah BC had a good situation but having a good situation doesn't guarantee that you'll make good decisions. It's like people who say that Phil Jackson is a ****ty coach because he always coaches good players.

The point about Rasho is that it was an $8mill expiring deal...it has nothing to do with Rasho's actual play. $8mill expiring deal is basically what it took to get Gasol. When you add that, with Ford and #17, it was a lot. It worked out for both teams.

As for the Bargs draft, tons of people thought Gay would be a great pick. Not many said Roy. But Aldridge and Gay for sure.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #13
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

[quote=RapsFan]The point about Rasho is that it was an $8mill expiring deal...it has nothing to do with Rasho's actual play. $8mill expiring deal is basically what it took to get Gasol. When you add that, with Ford and #17, it was a lot. It worked out for both teams.

TJ was addition by subtraction. Take that knukle headed me first player out of the equation. Then look at Rasho and 17th for JO. Realistically that's what we gave away. Now re-examine the trade.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #14
the truth
...since 95

the truth has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
The point about Rasho is that it was an $8mill expiring deal...it has nothing to do with Rasho's actual play. $8mill expiring deal is basically what it took to get Gasol. When you add that, with Ford and #17, it was a lot. It worked out for both teams.

As for the Bargs draft, tons of people thought Gay would be a great pick. Not many said Roy. But Aldridge and Gay for sure.

I wanted Roy from the get go. Just new he would be a star, and was exactly the type of player we needed, from a positional and skill set perspective.

As for Maggette, very unlikely. We got Hassan Adams instead, woo hoo!
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #15
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth
I wanted Roy from the get go. Just new he would be a star, and was exactly the type of player we needed, from a positional and skill set perspective.

As for Maggette, very unlikely. We got Hassan Adams instead, woo hoo!

I have high hopes for Adams... he is much younger and athletic than Corey
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: