Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Arrow Two and Done: Examining the NBA year-out-of-HS minimum

Two and Done

Another NBA draft has gone by, another 30 young men are guaranteed millionaires, another 10 one and done freshmen were selected in the 1st round. Wait…what? That’s right. 10 college freshmen decided to forego their college eligibility and enter the professional league of endorsement deals. I…I mean basketball. So what does this mean for the league?

For the league to save its image, David Stern will need to renegotiate the terms of the CBA in 2010 to require 2 years of college for incoming draft picks. The NBA has already turned into a children’s league with 18 teams having an average age of 26 or less. Gone are the days of the two 32 year olds working the pick n’ roll. In are the days of the 20 year old isolating in the corner. To save fundamentals in the world’s best basketball league, the NBA needs to raise the age minimum.

It’s completely understandable that a 19 year old kid would want to enter the NBA for financial purposes. Who wouldn’t? But what happens to the players who go in the 2nd round and receive a non-guaranteed contract or even worse, undrafted? There were 13 freshmen who decided to keep their name in the 2008 NBA draft. Of those 13, 3 may not have a steady job next year. For Derrick Rose or OJ Mayo, get money! For Davon Jefferson, Bill Walker, and DeAndre Jordan, what are you thinking? These three players will be fighting for a contract next year.

The NBA had originally allowed high school seniors to pass over their college eligibility and declare for the NBA draft. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old trying to feed his family and make millions right? Well…sorta. For every LeBron James there was a Brandon Hunter. For every Dwight Howard there was a Lenny Cooke. And has anybody heard from Ndubi Ebi, Ousmane Cisse, or Leon Smith lately? While the players who were ready were making millions, the undrafted high school seniors were struggling in the DLeague or Europe for some chump change.

The NCAA might be taking the biggest hit of all. Schools such as Kansas State and USC only benefit from their star recruits for one year, while schools such as Kansas and UNC are winning more games with their 2, 3, and 4 year starters. Is it really worth recruiting a five star recruit who gives you success for only one year, then puts you right back in the gutter when he moves on?

A two year minimum requirement for college basketball needs to be enforced. In the NFL, players are required to play three years of college athletics before moving on to the professional ranks. In the MLB, players are allowed to enter the draft out of high school should they be ready. However, it is rare that an 18 year old is not playing in the minor leagues. Should a player choose not to enter the draft, they also must commit to a 3 year minimum requirement of college athletics.

A two year minimum will better the talent pool of the NBA. Since getting rid of the “high school straight to the NBA” era, NBA teams are no longer allowed to scout athletes before receiving a high school diploma. Should Anthony Randolph or Kosta Koufos become an NBA “bust”, can you blame the team who drafted them with only one year of scouting time? Plenty of players settle down after bursting on to the scene in their freshman years. Taj Gibson, a forward from USC, was a very capable freshman in 2006-2007 averaging 12 ppg , 9 rpg, and 2 bpg. Would anybody have been surprised if he entered the draft after that year? Yet in his sophomore campaign, his numbers went backwards, and he will now be coming back for his junior season. Two years of college basketball gives NBA scouts a better evaluation of players, gives players more time to mature, and college coaches more time to win. David Stern, git-er-done.

Last edited by Posterize246 : 07-01-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Two and Done

Ooh, cool article, your a large follower of college ball i have noticed, and you sure do know your fair share!

Im trying to think of the next article im writing...my raptors one wasnt too too good
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak
Ooh, cool article, your a large follower of college ball i have noticed, and you sure do know your fair share!

Im trying to think of the next article im writing...my raptors one wasnt too too good
I didn't get around to reading it yet. I'll try to leave a comment on it for ya
Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

two and done is the way to go. nice read aswell.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #5
Da Ballahollic
Lookout 4 Boom Herron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak
Yea Posterize246 is a very good poster and underrated I like reading his posts.
Da Ballahollic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Ballahollic
Yea Posterize246 is a very good poster and underrated I like reading his posts.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Nice article bro.

BTW, don't post any more vids of anybody killing my bulldogs again please. I really didn't want to relive that Shan Foster takeover.
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Great article.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
Great article.
thanks. rep
Old 07-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default Re: Two and Done: Examining the NBA year-out-of-HS minimum

one way to facilitate a two year requirement is for the ncaa to change too

these high profile guys-- mayo, beasley--bring in a lot of revenue to those schools. pay them a fair salary for their work that will minimize the under-the-table payments by alumni.

there are all sorts of college kids who work during their years in school and make more than minimum wage

if the athletes received a fair portion for their unique skills, jumping to the nba would be less attractive. i dont know what a good amount is-- i suppose it could be related percentage-wise to the athletic revenue for the school (but will the "rich" programs just get richer and have an unfair recruiting edge over less monied programs?)

paying college athletes for their work is just more honest. it should apply for the nfl since they too benefit from their student athletes-- especially when it comes to bowl games

without these changes from the ncaa, i think the nba should let anyone be drafted. no one is forcing the teams to draft an 18 year old; it is a risk that they are taking. the ncaa ought not be a "developmental league" for the nba; nba teams need to continue to more fully take advantage of their own developmental league and be smart in the investment of their draft picks/rookies

if an 18 year old could sign up for the army and die in iraq, give the 18 year olds the opportunity to work-- in the nba-- if the organizations want to take the risk with them
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

nice article

good read
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
Quickness
High School Varsity 6th Man

Great article I felt the same after I knew JJ Hickson was gonna be one and done it really hurts the school.
Quickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!

Well articulated

But I don't agree with College basketball being a farm system for the NBA.

Save those scholarships for kids who truely want to be there.
And give the one's who aren't interested an option of going into the D-League and declaring for the Draft once they reach certain minimum age requirement.

No matter what you change the age group to the issue will be the same no matter what.
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:11 AM   #14
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Two and Done
For every LeBron James there was a Brandon Hunter. For every Dwight Howard there was a Lenny Cooke.

What are you talking about???? Brandon Hunter went to college for 4 years i believe. Yes, 4 years. And Lenny Cooke was forced to enter the draft because he could not receive his highschool diploma, or the other 2 requirements it took for him to get into a college. What was he suppose to do? just quit basketball? haha.
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:51 AM   #15
lukeridnour08
Decent playground baller

o and about Ndubi Ebi, the best decision he ever made in his life was to enter the nba draft. He was a first round pick and got atleast 4 mill out of the deal. If he would have went to college the scouts would have obviously seen the flaws in his game and not picked him at all. Whoever convinced him that he was ready for the draft is a genuis
lukeridnour08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: