Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 07-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far
Default The Midlevel Exception

Here are some ideas:

1. Offend Corey Maggette with the offer. How many times have we chased him and failed?

2. Backup Center (defense needed). If you had to land one of these with the MLE, assuming it would work, which one would it be?
-Diop
-Kurt Thomas
-Kwame Brown
-Juwan Howard
-Magliore
-Elson
-Foyle

3. Backup PG. If you don't like Price or Hart, who do you go for worth the MLE?

4. Defensive swingman, to stop the embarassing sg rampages. (I would rather stick to the Brewer/Korver thing, but maybe a stopper would be an upgrade. Pietrus is available.

I personally would like to aim at Diop, Magliore, Foyle, or even K. Brown to fill the paint with, but I am more interested in hearing what you would do.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The Midlevel Exception

Diop could be our plug-in-the-paint, couldn't he? Problem is always that it's not about the players as we perceive them, it's about how Sloan gets along with them.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretik32
Diop could be our plug-in-the-paint, couldn't he? Problem is always that it's not about the players as we perceive them, it's about how Sloan gets along with them.

I would love to see Diop as the center. Once Milsap goes to FA, we could rotate Boozer/Okur/Diop at 36 minutes each.

But you are right, I wonder if Sloan would like Diaw becuase of his defense. That can be enough to stay on the floor for him. I'm not sure he would take the MLE though, sadly.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #4
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

Diaw's obviously being heavily courted by several teams. Let's wait and see what will be left for us to pick up, as always.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
How many times have we chased him and failed?

once as far as I know

Quote:
If you had to land one of these with the MLE, assuming it would work, which one would it be?
-Diop
-Kurt Thomas
-Kwame Brown
-Juwan Howard
-Magliore
-Elson
-Foyle

Diop Kurt and maybe Kwame are the only ones there getting mid-;evel money. Diop gone. I'd look at Skinner.

Quote:
Defensive swingman, to stop the embarassing sg rampages.

Don't see them doing much here.

Quote:
Problem is always that it's not about the players as we perceive them, it's about how Sloan gets along with them.

Another problem is that LHM isn't going to throw the noney around to get the players.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi>mario
I would love to see Diop as the center. Once Milsap goes to FA, we could rotate Boozer/Okur/Diop at 36 minutes each.

Ha ha aren't we good at math..... 36 x 3 = 108, and 48 + 48 = 96, so you're telling me that either Boozer, Okur, or Diop will be playing the SF position for 12 minutes (or one full quarter) each game???
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Ha ha aren't we good at math..... 36 x 3 = 108, and 48 + 48 = 96, so you're telling me that either Boozer, Okur, or Diop will be playing the SF position for 12 minutes (or one full quarter) each game???

Ha! Well, I'll swallow my pride there.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #8
Heretik32
Myrrh

And bang, nothing left on the FA market... once again. Same old song.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Maggette is hardly everyone on the market. They need a veteran defensive center and a veteran pg. All of them are still out there.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
cliffhagan
I brick open layups

cliffhagan has an OK reputation so far

We should draft Mario Chalmers..... oh wait.

I like a nice cheap pickup in Jamaal Magloire. I would LOVE any PG other than Price and Hart, but I doubt we pick one up. I'd take Ed Cota over them.

Dee Brown come back!!!
cliffhagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhagan
We should draft Mario Chalmers..... oh wait.

I like a nice cheap pickup in Jamaal Magloire. I would LOVE any PG other than Price and Hart, but I doubt we pick one up. I'd take Ed Cota over them.

Dee Brown come back!!!

Magloire would be good for 15 minutes a game behind Memo. Seriously, he might look better in that role than he has in a long time.

I'm not too disatisfied with Hart/Price. The only thing that kills me is they are ussually in at the end of the first 3 quarters and can't ever manage to distribute for the last shot we get. If they could pass with 12 seconds left, I would be very happy with their performance as a whole.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
Heretik32
Myrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Maggette is hardly everyone on the market. They need a veteran defensive center and a veteran pg. All of them are still out there.

Diop's gone, as is Pietrus. I was kind of hoping for one of those two.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretik32
Diop's gone, as is Pietrus. I was kind of hoping for one of those two.

I wanted Diop also. I knew Cuban would overpay him, though.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:14 AM   #14
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
I like a nice cheap pickup in Jamaal Magloire.

They might take a look at him again but based on the fact that they didn't try to get him at the end of last year I doubt they will

Quote:
I would LOVE any PG other than Price and Hart, but I doubt we pick one up. I'd take Ed Cota over them.

Dee Brown come back!!!

Price was better than Dee Brown(supposedly a bad influence on Deron too) but they should be looking for a veteran. Maybe they should look into getting Vaughn now that the Spurs have signed Mason. He'd be the perfect guy for the job but I doubt the Spurs would help them out after the way they helped out Houston w/ Scola last year.

Quote:
I wanted Diop also. I knew Cuban would overpay him, though.

Knew there was no hope for him. Not sure he's overpayed though? Only 26 still with 7 years in the league already. Great rebounder, especially offensively, and shot blocker.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:30 AM   #15
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
They might take a look at him again but based on the fact that they didn't try to get him at the end of last year I doubt they will

I hadn't heard about looking at him last year, but the situation is a little different now. We really noticed how much we lack on thet interior last season. I hope we go for at least some backup bigman.

Quote:
Price was better than Dee Brown(supposedly a bad influence on Deron too) but they should be looking for a veteran. Maybe they should look into getting Vaughn now that the Spurs have signed Mason. He'd be the perfect guy for the job but I doubt the Spurs would help them out after the way they helped out Houston w/ Scola last year.
Right on about Brown. I liked him, but better off with Hart/Price imo. It would be interesting to see Vaugh come back to Utah. I got the impression the two parties didn't see eye to eye, but anything is possible.

Quote:
Knew there was no hope for him. Not sure he's overpayed though? Only 26 still with 7 years in the league already. Great rebounder, especially offensively, and shot blocker.
Good player, Cuban most definately paid more that anyone else was willing to, we'll have to wait and see if he is worth it. Maybe if he improves...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: