Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
Get out d'salami
I airball my layups

Get out d'salami has an OK reputation so far
Default Questions about O'Neil and answers to Ford, Bast and Nesto

I ask this question in hopes of getting only non-raptor fans opinions. The Toronto Raptors now have Jermaine O’Neil. Do you think he will resurrect his career in Toronto? Or will he become nothing more than another has-been always said to be ‘turn the corner’ but never really reaching it, ALA Stephon Marbury. Also predictions on possible stats would be welcomed especially from any Indiana fans that have the best knowledge to answer this question. Thanks a lot and please only honest and thoughtful answers. Also I would be more than happy to answer any questions in regards to Nest, Ford or Bast (in his one year in TO)
Get out d'salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
ritchmaq
I airball my layups

ritchmaq has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Questions about O'Neil and answers to Ford, Bast and Nesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get out d'salami
I ask this question in hopes of getting only non-raptor fans opinions. The Toronto Raptors now have Jermaine O’Neil. Do you think he will resurrect his career in Toronto? Or will he become nothing more than another has-been always said to be ‘turn the corner’ but never really reaching it, ALA Stephon Marbury. Also predictions on possible stats would be welcomed especially from any Indiana fans that have the best knowledge to answer this question. Thanks a lot and please only honest and thoughtful answers. Also I would be more than happy to answer any questions in regards to Nest, Ford or Bast (in his one year in TO)

he'll provide you everything as long as he's healthy
ritchmaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Miller Time is a pretty well-respected posterMiller Time is a pretty well-respected posterMiller Time is a pretty well-respected posterMiller Time is a pretty well-respected poster

He says he is at full health (injury free). He rested for a while last season which made him recover from his injuries. So if this is true (which I think it is), then I think he would average somewhere around 16-18 ppg and 8-10 rpg and maybe 2 bpg
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Get out d'salami
I airball my layups

Being honest, will any of you miss him? I know he was injured near the end but I have always loved his game and far from a pacers fan.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Miller Time
the fighting mongooses

Miller Time is a pretty well-respected posterMiller Time is a pretty well-respected posterMiller Time is a pretty well-respected posterMiller Time is a pretty well-respected poster

I will miss him, I loved to see him play, he was our best player for a while.

But unfortunately our team became too bad and he wanted to play for a playoff team. Pacers need to trade him away so they could start rebuilding and J.O'neal needs a new start with a playoff team. So yea I will miss him, but I do not regret the trade.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

catzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He was my favorite player for damn near 8 years. I loved JO, of course I'll miss him. He was a warrior, a true leader, but when the times got rough, so did his game, his mindset. He became more nonchalant with certain situations, I dunno, maybe that's how he deals with it. But when things got bad, everything just unraveled. He became more and more injury prone, and at some points you would really have to question if his heart was really still with this team. Wonder if, at times, he was milking an injury, just riding it out til it was time to leave. In all honesty, JO was never the same after Isiah Thomas was fired. He always believe that he was "lied to, deceived", because the summer before he signed a huge contract and was promised that Isiah was their guy. One year later, Isiah is out the door, and JO is locked in for six more years, or so it appeared at the time.

Now here we are 4 years later, 4 years of unfulfilled promises, 4 years of injuries, suspensions, multiple trades involving many faces, and different lineups. Too much change and diversity for any team to sustain any sort of stability, not to mention being able to do anything worth while in the two years of playoffs we had. These last couple of years, ever since we made the trade with GS, it seems as though JO was more and more of a ghost on this team, especially last year when he missed more than half of the season's games including 33 in a row.

But if you have a healthy and happy JO, which he should be since this is what he always wanted was to be paired with another good big man, you should expect a double double every night, and at least 2 blocks a game to go along with all of the intangibles they he brings, and the veteran leadership. If healthy, you guys could have got a steal.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
Anti404
WHY SO SERIOUS

Anti404 has an OK reputation so far

In all honesty, I could see him averaging somewhere in the vicinity of 15ppg(~47%fg), 9rpg, and 2+bpg. He and Bosh should also complement each other very well, and quite possibly reduce the injury risk of each other(as neither will have to carry the team in the post as much as they once did).
Anti404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:55 AM   #8
Get out d'salami
I airball my layups

Thanks for the well thought out response everyone.

I feel as though I owe a returned response for your responses to my question as well as the respect I wish to pay for our departed players.

Maceo Baston
In his first stint in Toronto he was rare, athletic and composed. Although he showed a tenacious knack for blocking shots, he brought little else to the team (although I wished that they would keep him after the season). After time with Macabi, I felt that he had truly improved his game and was delighted on receiving him from Indiana via free agency. His second stint in Toronto was horrible and I blame this in large part to a terrible coach in Sam Mitchell whom I feel fails to maximize his talent. But Maceo was an ideal professional and always played hard in limited time with no complaints.

Rasho Nesterovic
I can't say enough about what you guys got in this centre. I know I will get attacked for this comment but Rasho should very well be your starting centre. He simply wins games and is incredibly underrated and unrespected. Solid if unspectacular, but efficient, great mid range shot (open looks are almost always in), great rebounder despite lack of athleticism, team leader, always plays hard, defends with great efficiency a number of good centers including Howard (although not in the playoffs), and most importantly was a great person. I always felt much safer with Rasho in the game and knew he would do the right thing. Congrats on him you will learn to love him.

TJ Ford
I fell in love with him in College and actually wanted him over Bosh. When Raptors traded for him I was excited and enthralled with the possibilities of our new team. In two years I saw the highs and lows of what TJ can bring.

Lightening Quick: Good in the sense he can beat anyone but bad in that he often is dreadfully out of control and makes a horrible pass or terrible shot

Shot: Very good midrange shot that he can get off over any player including those much taller than him, but his range is limited to 16ish feet, very limited.

Passing: Has the ability to lead a team with exceptional passes, but often get frustrated and doesn't trust his teammates if they miss. In this case he attempts to take over too much almost always failing.

Leadership: He is a Balancing Scale, either an incredible leader who does what's right or one that forces the issue and loses games. In watching him as a Raptor I learned that he may not possess the special "it" that other point guards have and will always be labelled as potential until it is too late.

All-in-all you guys did very well with this deal. I wish every player luck as they were all very fortunate and I hope everything works well for you guys.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:11 AM   #9
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation

i honestly think that JO will play less than 50 games this coming season. Hes getting older and his injuries arent going away. If he was still 24 or 25 he could have ressurrected his career but hes on the down fall now. Another thing with JO is that he cant be the #1 option. When Reggie was in town he was the #1 option and JO played amazing. In TO, Bosh will be the #1 option so theres less presure on JO. Hes always good on the defensive end, he'll be top 3 in blocks
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:54 AM   #10
Irk Woodsman
I airball my layups

Irk Woodsman has an OK reputation so far

J.O. will probably never be an All-Star again, but I don't think that he's another Chris Webber either. He's made claims in the summer that he's almost back to top shape before, only to ride the bench for a big chunk of the season. So, we shall see. Maybe a change of adress will help things out. I will miss him, I've never questioned his heart, he is a true Pacer.
Irk Woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
Get out d'salami
I airball my layups

I hope you guys appreciate the write up!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

catzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecatzhernandez is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
TJ Ford

Lightening Quick: Good in the sense he can beat anyone but bad in that he often is dreadfully out of control and makes a horrible pass or terrible shot

Shot: Very good midrange shot that he can get off over any player including those much taller than him, but his range is limited to 16ish feet, very limited.

Passing: Has the ability to lead a team with exceptional passes, but often get frustrated and doesn't trust his teammates if they miss. In this case he attempts to take over too much almost always failing.

Leadership: He is a Balancing Scale, either an incredible leader who does what's right or one that forces the issue and loses games. In watching him as a Raptor I learned that he may not possess the special "it" that other point guards have and will always be labelled as potential until it is too late.

Great words, man, good stuff. Some really in depth knowledge in your entire post, I just hope it isn't "too late" for TJ.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:37 AM   #13
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

mateo31 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Thanks for the well thought out response everyone.

I feel as though I owe a returned response for your responses to my question as well as the respect I wish to pay for our departed players.

Maceo Baston
In his first stint in Toronto he was rare, athletic and composed. Although he showed a tenacious knack for blocking shots, he brought little else to the team (although I wished that they would keep him after the season). After time with Macabi, I felt that he had truly improved his game and was delighted on receiving him from Indiana via free agency. His second stint in Toronto was horrible and I blame this in large part to a terrible coach in Sam Mitchell whom I feel fails to maximize his talent. But Maceo was an ideal professional and always played hard in limited time with no complaints.

Rasho Nesterovic
I can't say enough about what you guys got in this centre. I know I will get attacked for this comment but Rasho should very well be your starting centre. He simply wins games and is incredibly underrated and unrespected. Solid if unspectacular, but efficient, great mid range shot (open looks are almost always in), great rebounder despite lack of athleticism, team leader, always plays hard, defends with great efficiency a number of good centers including Howard (although not in the playoffs), and most importantly was a great person. I always felt much safer with Rasho in the game and knew he would do the right thing. Congrats on him you will learn to love him.

TJ Ford
I fell in love with him in College and actually wanted him over Bosh. When Raptors traded for him I was excited and enthralled with the possibilities of our new team. In two years I saw the highs and lows of what TJ can bring.

All-in-all you guys did very well with this deal. I wish every player luck as they were all very fortunate and I hope everything works well for you guys.

I agree very nice post. That's why I really like the Jarrett Jack transaction. T.J. Ford is a really good offensive/uptempo point guard who knows how to manage a game. Jack is a solid defensive player (who I think has an underrated offensive game). Basically Ford & Jack compliment each other very well. Ford gives you offense & Jack gives you defense. As for the Toronto/Indiana trade it almost seems like a decent move from both sides. Plus all the players involved have contracts that expire in a year or two, so it's not like the two teams are signing away on any major long term commitments.
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
Get out d'salami
I airball my layups

I agree that Ford/Jack is a good tandem. Just hope that Jack doesn't outplay Ford or get the crunch time minutes. That is where all the issues began with him and Calderon. If TJ gets injured early and Jack begins to play welll you might see issues, besides that, I really hope ford does well! One of my favorite players forsure.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

mateo31 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I agree that Ford/Jack is a good tandem. Just hope that Jack doesn't outplay Ford or get the crunch time minutes. That is where all the issues began with him and Calderon. If TJ gets injured early and Jack begins to play welll you might see issues, besides that, I really hope ford does well! One of my favorite players forsure.

That is a very good point, but I would hope that minutes would not be an issue. Jarrett Jack had to share time in Portland with Steve Blake so splitting minutes is nothing new for him. Based on what I know T.J. Ford seems like a good guy. He might not be happy with spitting minutes, but I don't think he would totally disrupt the whole team because of it. Like I stated in a previous post all the players involved in the trade have contracts that expire in a season or two so nobody is signing away on any long term commitments. The Pacers went from having major question marks at the point guard position to currently having 4 solid point guards on the roster (Ford, Jack, Travis Diener, & Jamaal Tinsley).
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: