Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi
 
luigi>mario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,898
luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far
Default Mathias, what would you do?

I noticed the Cavs Summer 2009 free space is really from Wally (13M) and Snow (7M) next summer.

I would like to see Smith and Jones come back, maybe for a little less money. West will need some money at that point though, so their pay cuts could finance some of West's contract. I bet Varejao doesn't opt out here.

20 Million in Summer 09 should be enough to get one of these:
-Mike Bibby
-Rip Hamilton
-Shawn Marion

----

Then in Summer 2010, convince Lebron not to opt out by resigning Z for about 6M less, and giving Varejao about the same as he had before. Bring back Pavlovic or a similar player for similar money. Let Wallace and his 14M go out here. That makes another 20M to aim at:
-Stoudemire
-Chandler
-Dirk
-Redd
-Joe Johnson
-J. Howard
-Mike Miller

That leaves:
West/Gibson
x----/Gibson
James/Pavlovic
x----/Smith
x----/Z

Add Redd and Stoudemire into the x spots and you're good.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
meanmonster
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 99
meanmonster has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Mathias, what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi>mario
I noticed the Cavs Summer 2009 free space is really from Wally (13M) and Snow (7M) next summer.

I would like to see Smith and Jones come back, maybe for a little less money. West will need some money at that point though, so their pay cuts could finance some of West's contract. I bet Varejao doesn't opt out here.

20 Million in Summer 09 should be enough to get one of these:
-Mike Bibby
-Rip Hamilton
-Shawn Marion

----

Then in Summer 2010, convince Lebron not to opt out by resigning Z for about 6M less, and giving Varejao about the same as he had before. Bring back Pavlovic or a similar player for similar money. Let Wallace and his 14M go out here. That makes another 20M to aim at:
-Stoudemire
-Chandler
-Dirk
-Redd
-Joe Johnson
-J. Howard
-Mike Miller

That leaves:
West/Gibson
x----/Gibson
James/Pavlovic
x----/Smith
x----/Z

Add Redd and Stoudemire into the x spots and you're good.

I could possibly see Bibby going to Cleveland or maybe Marion.

If you think in 2010 you can get any 2 of those players listed your nuts...insane....bonkers. Only way Cleveland gets 2 of those players is if Lebron goes to New Jersey. It's going to take a lot of money to keep Lebron in your house, he loves New York and Jersey and both of them are probably in line to offer record breaking deals.

If Cleveland ends up keeping Lebron, getting Redd AND Stoudemire a man bear pig will fly out of someones arse and I will begin jumping off of one foot touching the top of the backboards and signing a deal with the Heat... wont happen kiddo.
meanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Mathias, what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi>mario
I noticed the Cavs Summer 2009 free space is really from Wally (13M) and Snow (7M) next summer.

I would like to see Smith and Jones come back, maybe for a little less money. West will need some money at that point though, so their pay cuts could finance some of West's contract. I bet Varejao doesn't opt out here.

20 Million in Summer 09 should be enough to get one of these:
-Mike Bibby
-Rip Hamilton
-Shawn Marion

----

Then in Summer 2010, convince Lebron not to opt out by resigning Z for about 6M less, and giving Varejao about the same as he had before. Bring back Pavlovic or a similar player for similar money. Let Wallace and his 14M go out here. That makes another 20M to aim at:
-Stoudemire
-Chandler
-Dirk
-Redd
-Joe Johnson
-J. Howard
-Mike Miller

That leaves:
West/Gibson
x----/Gibson
James/Pavlovic
x----/Smith
x----/Z

Add Redd and Stoudemire into the x spots and you're good.

IIRC the Salary cap is around 55mil next year. We're currently over the cap by roughly 25 million dollars.

Losing that 17 mil isn't going to mean squat in the free agency market.

If we don't resign Gibson, and West, and don't resign anyone next year, that still puts us at $52,483,946, which is less than 3 mil under the cap. I don't _think_ you can combine the MLE with that, but even if you could, that only gives us 8 mil to spend.

I'd like to see Delonte resigned for no more than the MLE. I'd like to see Joe Smith resigned at a drastic discount over his former salary. I'd like to see Gibson resigned for about half the MLE.

Then I'd try to trade Wally and package Varejo and/or Gibson to pick up a shooting guard type player that can create their own shot. I also would not hesitate in the least to throw our draft choices out there. Rebuilding is not an option while Lebron is here, and our team just isn't good enough to make it to the next step. That means taking some risks. If it means morgaging our future to win now... well that still helps us keep Lebron in 2 years.

I'm not convinced a big man is necessary with Z down there. With Lebron's main source of scoring being driving to the lane, I just see a big man as clogging space and hurting Lebron's floor spacing. He isn't an outside shooter. I think a scoring guard, who can hit the outside shot, but more importantly isn't going to stand around and watch Lebron, but will look to make his own shot.. will keep the defenses honest, and draw them out to the perimeter more, allowing Lebron and Delonte to penetrate more, for scoring or dishing.

Talking cap space is relatively worthless at this point. The only teams that are going to have a large amount of cap space are going to be teams in the rebuilding mode that have their better players under the rookie contracts still.

That's why expirers are worth a lot more as trade bait, and its also how the Lakers were able to land Gasol, and the Celtics were able to land Allen. It has to do with the worse team creating cap space to sign a guy, or just plain saving money because they aren't drawing fans with a lousy team.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 07-10-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi
 
luigi>mario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,898
luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Mathias, what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
IIRC the Salary cap is around 55mil next year. We're currently over the cap by roughly 25 million dollars.

Losing that 17 mil isn't going to mean squat in the free agency market.
...
Mathius

Well that destroys my entire plan.
Thanks, I spent way too much time working that out to let it go without feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmonster
If you think in 2010 you can get any 2 of those players listed your nuts...insane....bonkers. Only way Cleveland gets 2 of those players is if Lebron goes to New Jersey. It's going to take a lot of money to keep Lebron in your house, he loves New York and Jersey and both of them are probably in line to offer record breaking deals
Remeber, if you sign a few people quickly in the summer 2010, you could convince Lebron not to excercise his option. That way, he isn't a FA until summer 2011. If you got Redd, he might stay for a year to try it out before testing the FA market.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northeast OH
Posts: 6,103
Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Mathias, what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi>mario
Remeber, if you sign a few people quickly in the summer 2010, you could convince Lebron not to excercise his option. That way, he isn't a FA until summer 2011. If you got Redd, he might stay for a year to try it out before testing the FA market.

That plans is one big giant risk. When has a team EVER signed to big free agents in the same season?

And if the Cavs have that much cap room going into the summer of 2010, then that means are team is in pretty sad shape, and if that doesn't convince Lebron to leave, I don't know what will.

It's pretty damn risky expecting him to resign a contract on the grounds that we'll sign another free agent to help him out. We tried that once (Hughes) and Lebron hates rebuilding, so how do you expect to keep that much cap room without us going into the basement?

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
shaoyut
National High School Star
 
shaoyut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,108
shaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected postershaoyut is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Mathias, what would you do?

lol mathius nice avatar
shaoyut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:00 AM   #7
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario
 
Luigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,616
Luigi has decent reputationLuigi has decent reputation
Default Re: Mathias, what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
That plans is one big giant risk. When has a team EVER signed to big free agents in the same season?

And if the Cavs have that much cap room going into the summer of 2010, then that means are team is in pretty sad shape, and if that doesn't convince Lebron to leave, I don't know what will.

It's pretty damn risky expecting him to resign a contract on the grounds that we'll sign another free agent to help him out. We tried that once (Hughes) and Lebron hates rebuilding, so how do you expect to keep that much cap room without us going into the basement?

Mathius

LA was close...

Then you are screwed. Lebron is leaving. Unless Lebron is willing to try out the new 2010 landing for one more year, I think he is good as gone.

Plus, most players declare thier intention to opt out before their team could sign anybody anyhow. Looks like Summer 2010 is Cleveland's time to get a new franchise player. Quite a few are available, though.

Last edited by Luigi : 07-14-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy