Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New Orleans Pelicans Forum

New Orleans Pelicans Forum New Orleans Pelicans message board - New Orleans Pelicans Forum

Old 07-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Coming from a Sixers Fan: Would Hornet Fans Be Open To This Trade?

Philadelphia Receives

-Morris Peterson (8 ppg, 23.6 mpg, 39.4 3fg%, 30 years old)
-Melvin Ely (3.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 12 mpg, 30 years old)

New Orleans Receives

-Willie Green (12.4 ppg, 26.6 mpg, 26 years old)
-Jason Smith (4.5 ppg, 3 rpg, 14.5 mpg, 22 years old)

Positives for Philadelphia: Philadelphia receives the backup small forward and 3 point shooter that they want in Morris Peterson. Peterson made 113 3s last year on 39.4 %. Sixers were last in the league in 3 point shooting and don't have enough money to sign a shooter, so it must come through a trade.

Positives for New Orleans: Hornets only current shooting guard on roster is Morris Peterson, who only logged 23 mpg last season. Bonzi Wells has yet to be resigned. Still keep 3 point shooting in Peja Stojakovic (231 made, 44%). Should they find a starting shooting guard, Willie Green is well served off the bench should they not resign Jannero Pargo (8.1 ppg).

Thoughts?
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Copperhead has decent reputationCopperhead has decent reputation
Default Re: Coming from a Sixers Fan: Would Hornet Fans Be Open To This Trade?

I kind of like Willie Green. Don't know too much about Jason Smith though. I'd like to keep Mo around just a little bit longer. At least another season. I'd be happy to give you Ely though. They'd like to have someone challenge Mo for his starting spot but until they bring in someone that can do so, Mo will remain the starter. I like the ages of Willie and Jason but I don't know that I'd do this trade just yet. Now maybe if you'd have said Rasual Butler and Ely, we might be workin with somethin. Tell me about Jason's game. How is he defensively?
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead
I kind of like Willie Green. Don't know too much about Jason Smith though. I'd like to keep Mo around just a little bit longer. At least another season. I'd be happy to give you Ely though. They'd like to have someone challenge Mo for his starting spot but until they bring in someone that can do so, Mo will remain the starter. I like the ages of Willie and Jason but I don't know that I'd do this trade just yet. Now maybe if you'd have said Rasual Butler and Ely, we might be workin with somethin. Tell me about Jason's game. How is he defensively?
As far as a man-to-man defender, he's average. Doesn't really hurt you... but isn't going to give you anything special. The one part of his defense is he has a knack of blocking dunk attempts. Most people go right at him trying to dunk on him and he gets his hand on all ball. He averages 1.6 blocks per 36 minutes, so it shoes. He's a work in progress. Offensively he likes the mid-range jump shot which he can hit with consistently. He can post up, but usually ends up using a fadeaway jumpshot from the post.

Here's a blurry video of how he dunks block attempts. This one on Nene

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XJK_BSuha_k
Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Copperhead has decent reputationCopperhead has decent reputation

Haha! Nice block.

Would the Sixers be interested in Rasual and Ely for Willie and Jason? If Rasual doesn't end up in jail for those gun charges, he may come out of his shooting slump this season and may be able to help the Hornets or some other team.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead
Haha! Nice block.

Would the Sixers be interested in Rasual and Ely for Willie and Jason? If Rasual doesn't end up in jail for those gun charges, he may come out of his shooting slump this season and may be able to help the Hornets or some other team.
I doubt it. That's a lot of youth, scoring, etc. to give up for Rasual who struggled last season (even though he's a philly guy). Not to mention Smith is about 8 years younger than Ely right now but putting up the same production. I think it'd have to be MoPete.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Jason Smith is pretty good... But I think it would be better if it was Rasual
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
Jason Smith is pretty good... But I think it would be better if it was Rasual
we wouldn't give up a 12ppg scorer for a 5 ppg scorer, and we especially wouldn't throw in Smith for Ely with that.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: