Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Thought on the Cavs NOT getting James Posey

What are your thoughts on the Cavs missing out on James Posey in free agency?

Did they blow a chance to get a great complementary player who can defend well, step up in the clutch, and has experience?

Or, is Posey overrated to begin with, has very pedestrian numbers, and has had the benefit of playing on very good teams where he was never anywhere CLOSE to being the focus of the opposing team?

I lean more towards the second statement there about Posey. He can't create his own offense. Also, he is indeed a clutch player, and plays excellent defense, but guys like Posey can be had for much cheaper. They are a dime a dozen. I don't like the idea of giving a 31-year old anything more than a 3 year contract.

Thoughts? Am I wrong, do you agree, or is the truth somewhere in the middle?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Thought on the Cavs NOT getting James Posey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981

Did they blow a chance to get a great complementary player who can defend well, step up in the clutch, and has experience?

Or, is Posey overrated to begin with, has very pedestrian numbers, and has had the benefit of playing on very good teams where he was never anywhere CLOSE to being the focus of the opposing team?

I lean more towards the second statement there about Posey. He can't create his own offense. Also, he is indeed a clutch player, and plays excellent defense, but guys like Posey can be had for much cheaper. They are a dime a dozen. I don't like the idea of giving a 31-year old anything more than a 3 year contract.

I was one of the people that wanted posey, but not to a 4year/2?Mil contract he got. I thought paying him 3Mil for 2 years would've been okay for him.

Positives:He's from Ohio
He's clutch
Great Defender
Can Shoot The 3
Can Play Multiple Positions

--

Negatives:Cant Create Offense
May Have Off The Court Issues ( )

All in all we missed out on a great player, but im glad ferry overpay to try and get him.
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Thought on the Cavs NOT getting James Posey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981

I'm definitely happy we didn't get him.

Posey is indeed overrated and was clearly asking way too much money. More to the point, where does he fit in with this team? Lebron is going to play 40 minutes per game at SF. Moving him to SG doesn't make sense. Not only does it make him less effective on defense, but it could even possibly magnify his weaknesses (outside shooting and dominating the ball).

Posey is known as a defender, but has never been in talk of all-nba defensive teams. He shoots a Larry Hughes-like 40% from the floor, and oddly enough shoots better from three point land.

He's never averaged even 7 rebounds per game, and has only hit a maximum of 14ppg a few times in his career. He can't create his own shot.

He doesn't fit with this team.

I can't help but think Ferry is playing his game of signing just to make a signing. He clearly doesn't handle pressure well. Throwing money away just to sign ANYONE is not a good thing.

I can't help but wonder why the Cavs front office always goes after guys that any guy off the street could tell you is a bad pickup. Like Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones.

It's so hard to be a Cleveland fan.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: