Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Paxson's Plan

Paxson wants to give this team time. Think about it. If Paxson wanted to win now, he would've hired Collins or Avery Johnson, not Del Negro and his zero years of coaching experience. He would've drafted Michael Beasley, the inside scorer that we needed right away, and not Derrick Rose, who now forces us to unload Hinrich or Gordon in the near future. He would've used his secound round pick on somebody who can play this year, not on Asik who won't be here until at least 2010. And he would've at least made some effort to nab Jermaine O'Neal or Elton Brand... but he hasn't.

Combine that with two recent quotes that stuck out to me:

"Derrick's not a guy we're going to look at and say, `Come in and right away start,' " Paxson said. "He's got to earn that given the chance. But we're not going to throw him into this thing and say you have to do everything right now. We'll give him time."

"Let's face it, we haven't had a star player here in a long, long time,'' said Paxson, those six NBA championship trophies located about 20 feet from where he did his post-draft presser. "We're not putting that tag on Derrick, but in building a team we have to be realistic with what happened to us last year … I think Derrick is a type of piece we haven't had, and I think he's going to be terrific.''

Paxson realizes that the reason why the Bulls haven't won is because they haven't had a star player. He also realizes that Rose has a chance to be that type of piece we haven't had. And he's willing to "give him time" to make that happen. Because the Bulls currently have no stars, it would go against Paxson's own beliefs to try to contend for a title this year. And so Paxson is going to let this team grow. This will probably piss people off, but lets be honest, does anyone really think this team is one player away from winning in 2009.. of course not... we need to hope he can pick up a star in 2010 to go along side Rose, Deng, Tyrus, Noah...

Last edited by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST : 07-18-2008 at 03:19 PM.
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Paxson's Plan

Any team with a Thomas/Noah frontcourt is bound to be mediocre in the long run. There's not enough bulk or scoring to make it work. One will have to go by next summer. And no, Thomas cannot play small forward as he lacks the skill/intelligence to get it done at that position.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Bulls2333
Just another poster

Bulls2333 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
Paxson wants to give this team time. Think about it. If Paxson wanted to win now, he would've hired Collins or Avery Johnson, not Del Negro and his zero years of coaching experience. He would've drafted Michael Beasley, the inside scorer that we needed right away, and not Derrick Rose, who now forces us to unload Hinrich or Gordon in the near future. He would've used his secound round pick on somebody who can play this year, not on Asik who won't be here until at least 2010. And he would've at least made some effort to nab Jermaine O'Neal or Elton Brand... but he hasn't.

Combine that with two recent quotes that stuck out to me:

"Derrick's not a guy we're going to look at and say, `Come in and right away start,' " Paxson said. "He's got to earn that given the chance. But we're not going to throw him into this thing and say you have to do everything right now. We'll give him time."

"Let's face it, we haven't had a star player here in a long, long time,'' said Paxson, those six NBA championship trophies located about 20 feet from where he did his post-draft presser. "We're not putting that tag on Derrick, but in building a team we have to be realistic with what happened to us last year I think Derrick is a type of piece we haven't had, and I think he's going to be terrific.''

Paxson realizes that the reason why the Bulls haven't won is because they haven't had a star player. He also realizes that Rose has a chance to be that type of piece we haven't had. And he's willing to "give him time" to make that happen. Because the Bulls currently have no stars, it would go against Paxson's own beliefs to try to contend for a title this year. And so Paxson is going to let this team grow. This will probably piss people off, but lets be honest, does anyone really think this team is one player away from winning in 2009.. of course not... we need to hope he can pick up a star in 2010 to go along side Rose, Deng, Tyrus, Noah...

Very well put. I like your view on things. Rose in two years, is going to be an allstar. What an attractive player to have to pull in another allstar in the 2010free agency. Every player in the NBA loves playing with a pass first point guard.

My trust in Paxson is still in flux though. After I see how the deal with Deng and Gordon go down, and the rest of this offseason, then I can settle. I think he hit a home run with the coaching staff though. We'll see how things go.
Bulls2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #4
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

CelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Any team with a Thomas/Noah frontcourt is bound to be mediocre in the long run. There's not enough bulk or scoring to make it work. One will have to go by next summer. And no, Thomas cannot play small forward as he lacks the skill/intelligence to get it done at that position.

Thank you for saying it. I completely agree. It seems like way too many Bulls fans are kidding themselves with their ideas of how good these two players really are/can be.

The Bulls can have one great power forward and a role player center, or they can have an awesome center and role-player P.F. but the Bulls can't afford merely average players at both Positions.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Bulls2333
Just another poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticForce1349
Thank you for saying it. I completely agree. It seems like way too many Bulls fans are kidding themselves with their ideas of how good these two players really are/can be.

The Bulls can have one great power forward and a role player center, or they can have an awesome center and role-player P.F. but the Bulls can't afford merely average players at both Positions.

Tyrus will have a break out season this year. Skiles never had faith in Tyrus and didn't use him as he should have.

Noah, he's a rookie big, of course he's mediocre. The point of this thread was that the Bulls aren't in win now mode. Tyrus has the potential to be a 20 and 10 guy, with good defense, and Noah at his best will be about a 12 and 10 guy, with good passing skills. I'm willing to bet Noah will not last past the 2010 season in a Bulls uniform, unless he develops into a great role player who's a legit offensive and defensive threat.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
CaNt Be ToUcHeD
High school junior varsity star

CaNt Be ToUcHeD has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls2333
Tyrus will have a break out season this year. Skiles never had faith in Tyrus and didn't use him as he should have.

Noah, he's a rookie big, of course he's mediocre. The point of this thread was that the Bulls aren't in win now mode. Tyrus has the potential to be a 20 and 10 guy, with good defense, and Noah at his best will be about a 12 and 10 guy, with good passing skills. I'm willing to bet Noah will not last past the 2010 season in a Bulls uniform, unless he develops into a great role player who's a legit offensive and defensive threat.

dude, im a die hard bulls fan and i hype how good every player on this team is all the time... but tyrus 20 and 10 guy? thats a longshot, even with rose on the team now... maybe skiles knew this kid would be a bust so he didnt play him? its possible,

and noah will never be a consistent 12 and 10 guy, his post moves are horrible all he brings his energy to the table

i agree with everything that was said in the title post, we r doomed to be miediocre as we r now

and i dont get what paxson is trying to do, right now we have an extremely deep team and almost everyone is mediocre at what they do, its not rocket science, package some of them up and get a great player, i'd even go for carmelo anthony, to lessen the depth and have a player we can go to consistently

not sayin thats the best idea at all but its the way we should be tryin to go
CaNt Be ToUcHeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #7
Bulls2333
Just another poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNt Be ToUcHeD
dude, im a die hard bulls fan and i hype how good every player on this team is all the time... but tyrus 20 and 10 guy? thats a longshot, even with rose on the team now... maybe skiles knew this kid would be a bust so he didnt play him? its possible,

and noah will never be a consistent 12 and 10 guy, his post moves are horrible all he brings his energy to the table

i agree with everything that was said in the title post, we r doomed to be miediocre as we r now

and i dont get what paxson is trying to do, right now we have an extremely deep team and almost everyone is mediocre at what they do, its not rocket science, package some of them up and get a great player, i'd even go for carmelo anthony, to lessen the depth and have a player we can go to consistently

not sayin thats the best idea at all but its the way we should be tryin to go

I said Tyrus Thomas had POTENTIAL to reach that height. If he keeps working on his jumper, and continues to get stronger inside, then why not?! Tyrus is only 21 years old, and his progression has been promising. Maybe he'll reach his full potential, maybe he is indeed a bonehead and will be a complete bust...with his athletism, it's in his hands. If Skiles didn't play Tyrus because he knew he was a bust, then I understand the firing. How can a coach have that in their mind and still be able to work with them properly? Considering that Tyrus was just a rookie...I'd hope Skiles doesn't think like that. A lot of the weight for keeping a rookie inspired, and help their transition into the league is the coach. If a coach gives up on the player, then the players will eventually give up on the coach, as they did.

A big trade would only happen if the organization was trying to win now. Although, if we hold on to the talent we have, be mediocre for one or two more years, we're still good. The Bulls will have a star player within the next two years. In 2009, we lose Gooden's contract, and 2010, we lose Larry Hughes contract. And what happends then?! Loads of cap space for the 2010 free agency market, as well as good pieces to possibily trade (Noah, Thomas if he indeed doesn't live up to expectation?)

Be patient. Either way things go, we're set. Who's to say that the chemistry of this current roster and coaching staff doesn't start clicking and we easily make it in the playoffs? I'd be happiest with the next season going that way. Even if we made a trade for any player that's on the market right now, I still don't think one trade alone at this moment would make the Bulls an instant contender. We need more than that. In the mean time we get to develop Derrick Rose into an elite point guard, and Tyrus Thomas into a solid PF.

Expecting a championship in the next two years anyways is as much of a long shot as Tyrus Thomas being a 20-10 guy, don't you think?!

Last edited by Bulls2333 : 07-19-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

CelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

I will believe that when I see it happen. For now I like Gooden as our best bet at power forward.

I agree that Noah is not going to last as a Bull. All the more reason why I want to trade him for a 2nd round draft pick with Atlanta to seal the deal on the the Luol deng sign and trafe for Josh Smith.

We get a better small forward and we come one step closer to realizing we need to make a move towards getting a serious low-post presence. I also think there is a chance that Aaron Gray can contribute more to the team if gets more of the minutes Noah gets.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:02 AM   #9
Bulls2333
Just another poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticForce1349
I will believe that when I see it happen. For now I like Gooden as our best bet at power forward.

I agree that Noah is not going to last as a Bull. All the more reason why I want to trade him for a 2nd round draft pick with Atlanta to seal the deal on the the Luol deng sign and trafe for Josh Smith.

We get a better small forward and we come one step closer to realizing we need to make a move towards getting a serious low-post presence. I also think there is a chance that Aaron Gray can contribute more to the team if gets more of the minutes Noah gets.

I also like Gooden as starting PF for this year, Tyrus should come off the bench, of course. Unless circumstances prove otherwise.

Nice that you mention Gray. I'd like to see him get more minutes this year also. I didn't get to watch too much of the Bulls summer league games, so I didn't see how Gray was looking. Has he gained any speed and agility since last season? He needs to get in better shape, last a saw. If he takes his conditioning serious, he could be a solid big.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:42 AM   #10
CaNt Be ToUcHeD

Quote:
I also like Gooden as starting PF for this year, Tyrus should come off the bench, of course. Unless circumstances prove otherwise.

Nice that you mention Gray. I'd like to see him get more minutes this year also. I didn't get to watch too much of the Bulls summer league games, so I didn't see how Gray was looking. Has he gained any speed and agility since last season? He needs to get in better shape, last a saw. If he takes his conditioning serious, he could be a solid big.

haha again u overrate him, i watched every summer game the bulls played, and every time he got in the game his post display would be so horrible the announcers were even making fun of him... I dont follow him much but from what I saw there couldn't have been much improvement from when u last saw him
Old 07-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #11
Bulls2333
Just another poster

Quote:
haha again u overrate him, i watched every summer game the bulls played, and every time he got in the game his post display would be so horrible the announcers were even making fun of him... I dont follow him much but from what I saw there couldn't have been much improvement from when u last saw him

Who did I overrate with the post you're referring to?

When I said if circumstance proves otherwise, meaning that Gooden gets injured or has an off year...if that's what you meant.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:03 AM   #12
CaNt Be ToUcHeD

Quote:

I agree with u on Gooden, its the Gray thing about him being a solid big...

I guess with a PG like Rose, anything can be possible with surrounding players development but Gray is a long shot, Noah and Thomas are years ahead of Gray.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:32 AM   #13
Bulls2333
Just another poster

Quote:
I agree with u on Gooden, its the Gray thing about him being a solid big...

I guess with a PG like Rose, anything can be possible with surrounding players development but Gray is a long shot, Noah and Thomas are years ahead of Gray.

Oh, yeah. I hear you. He showed promise last season, but there is something seriously off with that guy. He's WAY too slow. If he wasn't so slow, he'd do fine.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 AM   #14
CaNt Be ToUcHeD

Quote:
Oh, yeah. I hear you. He showed promise last season, but there is something seriously off with that guy. He's WAY too slow. If he wasn't so slow, he'd do fine.

He's definitely got size, if it's a smaller big man he could muscle his way to the hoop, but if his size is matched he's basically in slow motion...
Old 07-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #15
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm gonna take my time with the bulls and watch them improve, I'm not gonna go on a limb and say that rose is the next chris paul " which some of you easlily throw around" and I'm not expecting a dramatic breakthrough in tyrus but an improvement. I understand paxson is drafting out of potential but sometimes you need to go with the better player at the time which is why im still pissed that he traded away lamarcus.

I'm hoping to be proved wrong tho.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: