Probably the most fun time I have ever had at a sporting event. Saw 5 games, numerous NBA players, tons of former NBA players and a bunch of front office personnel. I recommend making a trip out to Vegas every year for this sumer league. You can get a all day pass for $20 bucks and watch the games, get drunk from anywhere you want to sit.
Now I'll go over each game I saw and the top 5 players for each team IMO. I missed the Nuggets/Bucks game and only saw half of the Suns/Spurs and Philly/Raptors games.
Right now I'll start with the Pistons.
Top 5 Pistons players:
1. Aaron Affalo- Was probably the best perimeter defender I saw all day. He was really hustling out there and wouldn't give his opponent a inch. Struggled with his shot but was doing a good job dishing it off.
2. Walter Sharpe- Every time he went to the bench he was the only guy sitting between all the coaches. You can tell they really have something invested in this kid because they were giving him a lot of individual coaching. Has nice length and skills but seems pretty raw. Was very aggressive.
3. Amir Johnson- More athletic than I thought. At first I didnt even really recognize him out there. Was a beast on the boards but he looks lost on the defensive end. Tended to play more outside on offense that I think he should have against the weak interior defense of the Mavs. Still very raw which is surprising considering hes been in the league 3 years.
4. Will Bynum- I was excited to see him play and he didnt disappoint. On the roster it said he was 6 foot but he looked a couple inches shorter than that. Has great speed but struggles finishing in traffic. Knocked down a lot of open jumpers but struggled to create a jumper for himself. His defenders were too lengthy for him and I think thats what hurts his chances of making it in the league. Still a very exciting player.
5. Cheikh Samb- Watched him in warm-ups and he looked very awkward. Needs to put on about 30 pounds to be taken seriously. Played just as awkward as he looked when he played in the paint. Did have a very nice jumper and he even took a technical foul shot for the Pistons. Even though hes awkward he still has the length to contest shots and get his hands on balls.
Before I move on to the Mavericks I'll post some pictures I took. I forgot to bring my camera so I had to use my cell phone and some of them arent even worth showing. Still have to show must of them anyways so people can get a idea of what you will experience if you go to the SL.
Terry Porter and Greg Popovich:
DJ Strawberry driving it:
Alvin Gentry/Robert Sarver/Piece of Steve Kerrs head:
Derrick Low about to score on Gerald Green:
DJ Strawberry and the Suns bench: